Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Maine Ubuntu Users

Ok, have created #ubuntu-us-me for the Ubuntu Maine-iacs. Work has been crazy lately. Supposed to calm down right off and then I can start doing some more.
    Ubuntu Maine-iacs LoCo Team -
    | MaineTeam Wiki | Launchpad Entry | irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-maine /SIZE]

Beans

w00t! I finally found this thread. I didn't see it stuck to the top!

We totally need to get toghther and start spreading the word around the state, especially in the "other" Maine, up in the north. I am actually originally from Orono, but I moved down to Portland several years ago. While I was growing up, this was the "other" Maine. hehe.
    Last edited by FredSambo; February 20th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FredSambo View Post
    w00t! I finally found this thread. I didn't see it stuck to the top!

We totally need to get toghther and start spreading the word around the state, especially in the "other" Maine, up in the north. I am actually originally from Orono, but I moved down to Portland several years ago. While I was growing up, this was the "other" Maine. hehe.
    Having been a resident of both Maines at one time or another, I know exactly what you mean by "other." As a matter of fact, my beginnings in Linux started in the "other" (northern) Maine in Orono as a matter of fact. I feel that no matter how backwoodsy this state is stereotyped, there have to be people out there willing to try something new and different technology-wise. We -really- need to set up some sort of "awareness" event like an install party, or just something informational for those concerned. Anybody whose interest is piqued by this should get together with me on any of my various messaging platforms so that we might get something started. I was thinking that it should be after the release of Feisty so that people get the best of the best of the latest. What do people think?

Beans

Well we got a few of us, any chance of getting together on IRC for a powwow? How about tomorrow (Friday 2/23) night at 9pm?
    #ubuntu-us-me @ freenode
    Last edited by jimcooncat; February 23rd, 2007 at 05:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jimcooncat View Post
    Well we got a few of us, any chance of getting together on IRC for a powwow? How about tomorrow (Friday 2/23) night at 9pm?
    #ubuntu-me-us @ freenode
    I'm already there

Beans

Me too!

Beans

Here is the model that we should follow in order to get the Governor to view state-wide Broadband Internet as a right, and not just a privilage! The town of Hermon has been serving High Speed Wireless Internet to it's town-folk for years...

Here is an article about it, I think we have a good starting point right there:

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/...357&zoneid=176

http://www.hermon.net
    Last edited by FredSambo; February 23rd, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added link

Beans

We -really- need to set up some sort of "awareness" event like an install party, or just something informational for those concerned. Anybody whose interest is piqued by this should get together with me on any of my various messaging platforms so that we might get something started. I was thinking that it should be after the release of Feisty so that people get the best of the best of the latest. What do people think?
    Agreed! I can get a venue here in Portland, we could probably do something in Augusta, Bangor and maybe Lewiston as well!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FredSambo View Post
    Here is the model that we should follow in order to get the Governor to view state-wide Broadband Internet a right, and not just a privilage! The town of Hermon has been serving High Speed Wireless Internet to it's town-folk for years...
    I like the wireless Hermon model in your article! There are a couple of related bills in front of the legislature. The first is for the wired model. The second might provide funds for either:

LD 369: An Act To Require High-speed Internet Access for All Maine Residents
    This bill requires telephone utilities operating in Maine to provide high-speed Internet access to any Maine resident who requests it, except for residents of unorganized territories.
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...s/ld036901.asp

LD 218: An Act To Authorize a General Fund Bond Issue To Encourage Municipal High-speed Internet Access
    The funds provided by this bond issue, in the amount of $2,000,000, will be used to provide matching funds to communities to build the infrastructure necessary to provide high-speed Internet access to underserved areas of the State.
    http://www.mainelegislature.org/legi...s/ld021801.asp

Beans

Come join us in #ubuntu-us-me, hanging out for a while. Lets talk about lobsters and wireless, and if you like women that drive skidders. Reconditioned computers for our folks that we can maintain over the wire. How to find people willing to part with all the junk they've acquired and reformat their C:\ drive. Stuff like that.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast