Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Maine Ubuntu Users

Hey another Auburnite
    ubuntu user # 13638

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wink Re: Maine Ubuntu Users

HI all. I just found this thread. I have been using ubuntu for over a year on both my desktop and laptop. Tried Red Hat and Suse but like ubuntu better.

I retired to Winthrop about 7 years ago from New Jersey. I belong to Central MELUG but not many people show up at meetings and as far as I can tell I am the only ubuntu user.

I have a Dell Inspirion 1440 that came pre loaded with 7.04. I run 7.10 on a desktop I built last winter.

Right now I am thinking about putting VM on one of my machines so I can run Windows XP home edition under it. Unfortunately I have no choice about running windows, I want to listen to Surus satellite radio and they require windows. They use DRM so just loading the windows media codecs won't work. At some point you just have to go with the flow, it's a windows world - <sigh>

Is this group active at all? I would like to get together with other ubuntu users.
    My 15 minutes of fame came and went, but nobody noticed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

We are still around, but honestly it looks like we have too many miles between us and not enough free time to organize anything. If there were enough folks in one part of the state, maybe then there could be a get-together.

There is always irc chat on freenode in #ubuntu-maine I lurk there when I have a free moment, but most of us seem to miss each other

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredInMaine View Post
    Right now I am thinking about putting VM on one of my machines so I can run Windows XP home edition under it.
    I found virtualbox simpler (but only a bit) than VMWare Player or Server to run XP Home. I'm running two copies on a fairly recent box with Ubuntu. No major problems, though I do have a crash in one or the other XP home instances every other day. The last upgrade caused me a bit of grief as well until I found the fix in the forums. Even so, I still recommend virtualbox for the simplicity.

Whatever you do, though, install your XP Home, update it with all the security fixes, and then make a clone of it before installing any applications. You'll probably need to use a tool that comes with your virtual machine app to make the clone, sometimes just copying files doesn't do the job right. Then if you hose your registry or get some bugware in it, you'll have a very quick restore.

Beans

I've kinda switched over to Debian.

Beans

hey been using linux for 15 years. Work in IT run Gentoo server side but Ubuntu on the desktop.

So, does this group meet? do anything? Im from casco.

Beans
    Distro

Hey my name's Joseph I live in Lisbon and love the area hoping to continue coaching on my high school wrestling team and attend Andover College. Ubuntu's quick, the speeds are amazing, the graphics make people do a double take, and everyone's amazed that I haven't had to reformat a hard drive for a long time. A long time in my terms is about three weeks given the fact that I like to test the waters with Open SuSe and such so far Ubuntu is the better. I'll be keeping it for awhile and everyone loves just all of the slide shows and data bases which can be built from scratch on the open-office org technologies. I'm not a programmer but just plain someone who needed an ease of access system with the stone wall protections offered by it's processing and so far Ubuntu has lived up to that image.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: Maine Ubuntu Users

Greetings Maine-iacs,

Look at the faces. Seems there are more of us than most thought. I am currently working on getting us a new website. Once we have that, we will start working on getting a couple of meetings setup.

I see a couple of names from the towns that I work out of. Cool. Even got us another in the Winthrop area.

So what does everyone have for experience in linux?

Brian aka Dayylin
    Ubuntu Maine-iacs LoCo Team -
    | MaineTeam Wiki | Launchpad Entry | irc.freenode.net #ubuntu-maine /SIZE]

Beans

Dayylin, if you need a name for the website, you can have ubuntu.ofmaine.us. Just tell me where to point it.

You can get free hosting at memebot.com if you keep the media files down to size.

There's probably better solutions for both of these, I'm just saying...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dayylin View Post
    Greetings Maine-iacs,

Look at the faces. Seems there are more of us than most thought. I am currently working on getting us a new website. Once we have that, we will start working on getting a couple of meetings setup.

I see a couple of names from the towns that I work out of. Cool. Even got us another in the Winthrop area.

So what does everyone have for experience in linux?

Brian aka Dayylin

Been using Ubuntu now for two years without a problem through all of upgrading and having to restore my system after a power surge Ubuntu has come through on many thousands of levels. As for presentations and what not it's been a solid performer and has changed the minds of many. Hoping to use it in helping people out who can't afford the over priced Windows office suites.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast