Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ireland goin downhill fast?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Is Ireland goin downhill fast?

Is Ireland goin downhill fast......ave we gone past the peak.......another 350 jobs (good technical jobs) gone in Cork - Motorola. Alot of Manufacturing jobs/companies jumping ship.....foreigners in every conceivable job.......mortgages riiiiising......everything gettin more expensive.......should i sell up & move da family abroad ?
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans

Re: Is Ireland goin downhill fast?

foreigners in every conceivable job
    should i sell up & move da family abroad ?
    can you see the hypocrosy here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hypocracy > damn right.......
    i think we'll always be a nation of travellers/migrators, seeking jobs abroad..
    Our Government are too stupid to keep us afloat...
    Companies come in, we get settled, and then they leave again, leaving us up the creek !
    derby7
    ? who is Tom Bombadil ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Our economy has expanded to a substantial degree due to the housing "boom". This sent money around in a rapid circle, accelerating the economy in all sectors, but of course this fuelled inflation, sending both prices and wage demands soaring, rapidly eroding our competitiveness. Even "high-quality" jobs such as Motorola are too expensive to maintain here, and I'm amazed Dell are still in Limerick considering it's largely unskilled production-line work.

The problem is, though, that the housing-boom money isn't money that we had, it's money that we've borrowed, much of it from abroad. And unlike spending on industry, a house provides no further economic return - it doesn't manufacture anything, or export anything. They're just going to sit there, and we'll be paying back the loans for decades. Of course, the government (in their usual short-term-view approach to everything) has done nothing to try to stop it, either.

Beans

I would but agree with a lot of what AndrewMc said! But in my opninion, no the Irish economy is not going downhill fast.. it is maybe going downhill slowly!
    Though the short term future for Dell & Co. don't look good, the government is investing more in research which will help us in the long term. They still ought to invest more in indigenious Irish companies though.
    In the short/medium term however the problems in the health service and lack of public transport is damaging our quality of life, and this must be addressed.
    In any case, would this topic not make a more suitable thread on politics.ie rather than on an ubuntu board?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

But it's a serious problem in most EU states with all the "east-extension" we had in the past years.

A lot of jobs go east, and for the few jobs left, people come to the west to pick'em up
    Edgy Eft Packages: Glade-3 3.1.4, Geany 0.10, Banshee 0.11.3, Inkscape 0.45, [] Geom - interactive geometry []
    Any questions? Send me a PM, as I don't subscribe to every thread.
    Mark Shuttleworth...

Beans

The Irish Examiner says that the number of job vacancies in the IT sector in Ireland has risen 26 percent. That's according to the annual Dublin City University IT Job Survey, which also indicates a 74 percent increase in IT vacancies since the first DCU survey in May 2005.
    So it's not all bad, If we could just get control of bloody house prices.

Beans

I agree with Eoin. Irish Government is investing in research and development. Even at my job, aspects of my job will be moved to Brazil because its cheaper to do it their and we can concentrate on more technical aspects. Alot of companies are still loyal to their irish workforce and we just have to move with the times. We know longer should concentrate on manufacturing but on services.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Is Ireland going downhill fast?

It's worth pointing out that Ireland started going downhill when the only thing people cared about was Jobs. Just take a step back and realise that you're still inside a country that's nice to live albeit corrupt and capitalistic in nature.

And of course if nobody can accept that then the option is always there to move to Poland, Looks like a booming country and it would be the reverse of foreigners coming to Ireland(if you in any way think that's wrong).

The simple answer is let the country slide as eventually people will realise that job losses are a natural part of "capital" gain. The torch is moving on, live with it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Anyone with even a flimsy understanding of economics should know that capitalism is basically a series of upturns and downturns, and Ireland has done amazingly well out of the last 10 years. If you are an IT graduate you should have no problem finding a job, and as for foreigners taking jobs? Well if you really want that job in supermacs I'm sure they'll employ you if you apply for one. There's plenty of work, I just wish the same could be said about hospital beds, but as someone else said this thread hardly belongs in ubuntu forums.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast