Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu BSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Ubuntu BSD

Is there a way to get the BSD kernel in Ubuntu repos? If not, can it be added? Debian already does it, so we can just kidnap their packages.
    "Who d'you know who's lost a buttock?" --Tonks
    Linux user #430538 (Machine #335692)/Ubuntu user 7858 (Machine #9033)
    myAge.today = myAge.yesterday++

Beans

Re: Ubuntu BSD

I wouldnt do it myself as it could kill your compy.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Yes, it could kill your computer, but that's the risk ou take. It could be in the not-yet-there "Deadly" repo. A big part of FOSS is choice.

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess the major issue would be how nice it plays with all the Linux software. I don't know enough about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD to really have an idea how much the other software had to be altered to work with the BSD kernel. In the ideal scenario of all the software working with the kernel without alteration, the chances of it "killing" your system would be pretty slim considering you could just keep it alongside the Linux kernel and boot into your kernel of choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

As I understand it, the BSD kernel can use Linux software, though it won't be as fast as on Linux (or BSD software on BSD)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by max.diems View Post
    As I understand it, the BSD kernel can use Linux software, though it won't be as fast as on Linux (or BSD software on BSD)
    You hardly notice any difference, I can happily play ut2004 in freebsd.

Beans

According to FreeBSD, Linux apps can run close to their native speeds under BSD. It can be enable by adding this to your /etc/rc.conf file:

linux_enable="YES"

I know that Gentoo is working on a FreeBSD kernel port & Debian is working on a Hurd port, but I don't think Ubuntu is doing any of that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

We should offer it, preconfigured to use Linux apps. IT could be a package, not a full distro. As I said before, Debian already offfers BSD, so we only need to adapt their packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

We should offer it, preconfigured to use Linux apps. IT could be a package, not a full distro. As I said before, Debian already offfers BSD, so we only need to adapt their packages.
    Does Debian offer a BSD package, or a version of the distro based on BSD?

I know that parts of Ubuntu are dependent on Linux-specific stuff (HAL and ALSA, to name a few), so I'd be surprised if Debian/kFreeBSD will work with the exact same packages as Debian/Linux.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

If Debian offers it why not use it? Ubuntu and Debian have different goals and I don't think this is something Ubuntu needs to tackle at all.
    [archlinux user]
    "y0, all those Leetnux Distributions are major suckomaticks, I will make it faster and better and strip all the documentation to show the world, that we are the leetest...!" --the almighty Judd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast