Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Quote Originally Posted by Wide
    This is a very cool addition to the forums

I'll direct my wife here for questions

You'll *direct* your wife?

Either my english is slipping (it's not my first language) or I .... well never mind.
    Sounds familiair

This is what I've come accross a lot the past years. Even more so when talking computers (or reading, for that matter).
    It is *luckely not* my first impression of the Ubuntu-community, I am happy to add.

You know what, it has caused me to hide my identity (gender-wise) or to just lurke or to stick to an all-women-computersite http://womenontheweb.nl, and I don't particularly feel good about that.

So how about this:
    - is there a way I can change my username into my full-name (or first name, if that's too long a name)?
    - how about if more women 'got out of the closet' and became visible, solely by using their real names? (it used to be good practice in the Open Source Community, according to Eric Raymond).

Hi, I'm Marlies van der Poel. I'm very happy with Ubuntu, after having tried Mandrake and Fedora. I guess I don't have to explain why. I'm an end-user, very much interested in what computers can do, in webdesign, graphical work, writing and helping others (mostly older people) getting started with their computer -- most often Windows, but I *do* tell them about open source and -the way Ubuntu is going- I'm going to suggest them Ubuntu in a little while
    I am preparing to start contributing to Ubuntu (first have to get acquainted with DocBook and Subversion, so I read on the DocumentationTeam's site.

Hope to be meeting you here and all-over the Ubuntu-grounds!

Greetings, Marlies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am sure that by "direct", Wide meant to "show" his wife this forum. Don't read into it too much
    I choose a screen name that isn't my name, since I wanted an anonymous login type thing. Not so much to hide that I'm male or female, I just happened to pick this name on one forum (linuxcult.com) and now use it for tons of other sites (even my own, binarydigit.net).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanx BinaryDigit,

Maybe this 'direct'-thing has to do with translation. My first language is Dutch. In Dutch it definitly wouldn't sound right.
    As far as using one's real-life name is concerned: It is not so much the hiding that I'd like to stress, it's the visibilaty. I think there are many more women active then is generally assumed. I'd like us to be more visible.

Greetz, Marlies.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I think that anyone no matter what their religion or sex should ever be thought of as lower than someone else

If I even were to see that I would immediately report it

It's just not right!

anyway, great idea! and it's nice to see the women finally come out and feel free to talk like everyone else

RavenOfOdin Guest

Sigh. . .

All of you who think either that women only exist to do housework and make babies, or think in step with an agenda which I can only describe as heavily liberal and/or P.C. (the latter of which I consider totally Communist) need to step back, stop whining, and take a good LONG look at yourselves as well as the world around you.

Shoving your collective heads in the sand with regard to facts and stereotypes (the latter of which ARE earned, believe it or not!!) isn't going to help ANYONE!

Flame/harass/threaten me for these views if you will.

That being said, anything which is relevant to Ubuntu is good in my book!
    Last edited by RavenOfOdin; March 20th, 2006 at 01:55 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RavenOfOdin
    and stereotypes (the latter of which ARE earned, believe it or not!!)
    Ehh, all right, I'll chose NOT to believe you on that one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

so much on this thread...
    the essence of humanity is paradox. men and women are the same and completely alien. both statements are entirely true.
    it is wonderful.
    of course, neither are better.
    I'm coming to believe that for the first time since the age of the Mother Dona of pre-civilization the feminine is beginning to rise. Not yet, but soon. Personally I would be happy impregnating, doing physical labor and reading a bit, taking care of kids.

The main thing is that I am happy to see that there are women into something that is of interest to me. It suggests that on a 'hook up' intiative this is not a complete waste of energy.

*joke*

no the main thing is that I am very pleased to see a space created for the feminine intellect.

I tell you what, Micro-Soft is one heck of a phallocentric entity.

Steve seems wrong in some ways, in that the dominant sex cannot complain of inequity of chauvinism, yet his point is validly cautionary and goes to the heart of feminism's essential flaw. Feminist philosophy has largely functioned as a Mask to the male's position.

the "i'll direct my wife" bit is spooky.

anyway, this is a call to action: too much of thinking is from the head of man, let linux be the place where the feminine mind is fully present.

or maybe this is all from the Shiraz i'm drinking...
    Last edited by nealklomp; March 28th, 2006 at 05:24 PM.
    All us non-programer types need to take a second and admire how very good Ubuntu performs. All you programer types need to know that you rock and get back to writing code and stop surfing, unless you are looking for problems to fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Brand new (as in yesterday) Ubuntu user here, with girl parts. So glad to see this forum!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

One more lady user here. From my username it is pretty obvious that I am a mom too. They are both boys, but my kids are also using Ubuntu. My 9yo likes it so much that he keeps using the homeschool lab computer (where we test all kinds of stuff) with Edubuntu instead of his much faster, much better monitor, XP box. I am guessing he will want to install Edubuntu on that machine too.

I am working on getting my laptop de-Windowed, but I still have some drivers to get working. More a matter of time than anything else. I already have the needed information thanks to these forums.

Beans

Yet another female here! My aunt does sysadmin work for the army, so I guess it's genetic! haha. I'm loving ubuntu and it's a whole lot of fun.
    Still I'd like to see more standard unix commands in it though. That was one reason why I stuck with slackware for so long. But then I got sick of fighting with it, and the community wasn't as warm as this one is.
    #!HP Envy Ubuntu 14.04 iBook G4 PPC - MintPPC from Debian Wheezy

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast