Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Beans
    Hidden!

Announcing Ubuntu Women

So I have my hands full lately don't I?

This forum section is for Ubuntu Women, a group designed to make women feel more comfortable in the Ubuntu Community and the Linux Community at large. It is NOT meant to separate women from the rest of the community.

This project is being worked on by Tsjoklat, kassetra, and myself.
    Yes, I know I'm missing some anatomy to be an Ubuntu woman myself, but the group is not for only women, but for people who want to see an increase in women to the community. Many more women use Linux than people think, they just don't feel comfortable interacting in forums/IRC/etc, because of some attitudes that many have. This community will try to weed out those attitudes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

So what projects do you have for these women? I know there are already some women in forum.

Beans
    Hidden!

yes, there are some, but some of them have said that they know many other female linux users who just aren't comfortable with the community because of the sexist attitude on some forums, etc. I haven't seen much of that here. But this exists so that women can know that someone is looking out for them, and knowing that they have the support of the community, to make them feel more comfortable with contributing.

Beans
    Hidden!

That's a nice idea. *puts on wig*
    In a couple of months I think this idea will make every other linux forum make a " -name.the.distro- Women". It would be nice to get some of the females tell the story on how they found UBuntu/Linux.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

As a woman using Ubuntu, I like this idea!

Tracey Lowndes.

Beans

It is NOT meant to separate women from the rest of the community.
    Hm... So the rest of the community aint only males.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by void_false
    Hm... So the rest of the community aint only males.
    Not exactly sure what you mean, but what I mean is, this isn't something we want to have so that women will come to THIS section and this section only. We want to appeal mostly to those women who use Ubuntu but haven't joined in the community yet BUT we still want the women already here to be able to use our resources.

Beans

That was a joke.
    NVM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Well, as a woman using Ubuntu I think this is a great idea. I'm normally happy enough asking my questions in the Ubuntu forums - because the answers I get a helpfull and people a generally polite.

BUT - and there is a but - looking in news groups and other forum web pages I have often found myself wondering how people can talk to each other like that. My most resent experience:

Women who use linux are ugly, aren't they?
    I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

- Henriette

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by henriette_holm

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry

- Henriette
    shake your head and be glad you're not that person?
    and hope they weren't serious?

anywayz, isn't there a Debian Women group? Do other linux distros also have such groups also?

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast