Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Beans

Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

just a thought,

it's really hard to tell if you're a woman on a public forum such as this site, unless you explicitly state you are a woman for any reason. I have problem with this 'project' because of its reason for its existence, 'sexism'. I wouldn't call the rest of the forums users sexist, because this segment is more sexist than the sexism within other parts of the forum, i find your 'reason' ironic.

free of the harassment and sexism often found elsewhere
    why can't men and women together? this seems sexist.

but i love the idea of a women group, for women to meet other women in the community. the only thing holding me back is the reason the creator gives, sexism.

here's a brainteaser,

am I a man, or woman
    <3
    Last edited by mashimaro; May 29th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mashimaro View Post
    just a thought,

it's really hard to tell if you're a woman on a public forum such as this site, unless you explicitly state you are a woman for any reason. I have problem with this 'project' because of its reason for its existence, 'sexism'. I wouldn't call the rest of the forums users sexist, because this segment is more sexist than the sexism within other parts of the forum, i find your 'reason' ironic.

why can't men and women together? this seems sexist.

but i love the idea of a women group, for women to meet other women in the community. the only thing holding me back is the reason the creator gives, sexism.

here's a brainteaser,

am I a man, or woman
    <3
    It doesn't matter. Men and women are involved in the project, and have been from the start. If we were "separatist", I agree that that *would be* sexist. So of course, we've been inclusive from day one.

If you have not encountered sexism, I'm very happy for you. Believe me, some of us *have* encountered it, and are still determined to be active in the community. We find support and information here, which we use to involve ourselves in the wider community.

I agree also that it shouldn't matter whether one is male or female. If it truly didn't matter, we would see roughly half and half involved in the community, and yet this is far from the case. Sexism might not be the only reason this is true, but it certainly does play a role.

We all hope for the day when Ubuntu-Women is abolished because there is no longer a need for it.

Valorie

Beans

u r saying rite

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Valorie Zimmerman View Post
    It doesn't matter. Men and women are involved in the project, and have been from the start. If we were "separatist", I agree that that *would be* sexist. So of course, we've been inclusive from day one.
    So.... how is it different for women to post here rather then the rest of this Ubuntu forum?

Are the rules different here?
    -OG-

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by OldGaf View Post
    So.... how is it different for women to post here rather then the rest of this Ubuntu forum?

Are the rules different here?
    Not at all, same rules apply everywhere on the forums.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Debutantes? How wonderful!
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Talking Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Feminism isn't about hating men. It's about hating the patriarchy, which at once both privileges and damages men. Patriarchy ultimately isn't good for anyone. I'm a man and have never felt hated by any feminist.
    So very true..BTW,all these years I've been on this forum, I thought you were a woman.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Hey guys, I welcome this Ubuntu Women project.

I like Ubuntu and I like women o.O???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm a man, but more importantly, I'm someone who wants to see Linux/Ubuntu flourish. Women bring a unique perspective to the table and contribute highly to the cause. Lets not only welcome them, but make them leaders!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Lol. I bet there won't be a "Mint Women" forum! (maybe for a good reason) FYI I'm an Alexander, not an Alexandra. I'm all for ubuntu women. I don't consider myself sexist, I respect women to the utmost. I was only posting the other week about how I'd never found on this forum - let alone met - a female ubuntu user, and then I found this thread... You don't have to worry about getting ubused (abused + ubuntu) on this forum. There's tons of thoroughly nice guys on here, and the horrible ones generally keep their thoughts to themselves.

Welcome, I sincerely hope you have nothing but good experiences. And feel free to ask any questions.

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast