Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Quote Originally Posted by OldGaf View Post
    So you are OK with the forum and don't "need" a womens "area"? - note I said need, not agree with or what ever. If so then great..... there is hope......?
    To be honest, I don't feel I "need" it. I've been poking around this section a little out of curiosity, and it is kind of interesting. I appreciate that there are some guys out there who are making an effort. Some women may actually feel more comfortable here, or at least more comfortable just knowing it's here. I'm Ok either way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ann667 View Post
    To be honest, I'm not here to “feel” any particular way, I'm here to get information so I can learn a new operating system, and maybe even help out a fellow newcomer who may have run into a problem I may have recently ran into.
    This is precisely the reason I too participate in Linux forums. I'm fascinated by the operating system and learning how to configure it has become quite an obsession. And it's really satisfying being able to help someone else who has run into a problem which you yourself have come up against and managed to solve.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I want to use Linux forums for the purpose of putting the world to rights. There are plenty of other places for that.

I present myself as an intelligent person, and I'm treated as such. I'm technically inclined and tend to pick things up somewhat easily. I like to know how things work and I have a good work ethic. I believe it's appreciated.
    Appreciated and almost guaranteed to get you accepted. Show you know what you're talking about. Get stuck into it, ignore the few immature idiots (and I firmly believe there are only a few of them) who have nothing better to do than to post childish jokes. That way they'll soon get bored and go and annoy someone else.

But as regards harmless male banter, keep it coming. I love being "one of the boys", so to speak, and I love their humour !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Smile Re: Announcing Ubuntu Women

Oh, I am happy I have found other women who use Ubuntu. ^^; I don't know very many women around me that do, it is good to know there are fellow girls out there that use it too! ^^

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Catewilliams View Post
    Oh, I am happy I have found other women who use Ubuntu. ^^; I don't know very many women around me that do, it is good to know there are fellow girls out there that use it too! ^^
    Yeah there is definatly more females using nowdays than there used to be. I remember back in the day (at least 8 years ago or so) it was completly unheard of to find females and linux. Even now there are only 1 or 2 other females in my local LUG (and to be honest i think one of them used to be a man at some point).

The funny thing is that now there are more females, im not really that keen on joining in etc - i guess i got used to being just 'one of the guys'.

Beans

HI, I just joined up today and would like to say that I think this is great. My fiance got me using Linux a year ago after my system kept crashing (gotta love windows) and I've never looked back. I have been using Ubuntu for a few months now and absolutely love it. I am still real new to it all tho and sometime's I think I drive my fiance nuts with all the questions I have, so this is just awesome to be able to be a part of a community like this and know that if there is something I need help with , there are so many Linux users out there that can offer some advice or direction. I hope one say I will know enough to be able to help others as well. Thanx for the opportunity to say HI and for letting me sign up. Suddz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Suddz,

Welcome! I really like this forum too... there are super-helpful people here. Ubuntu is just a breeze to use, it's the best Linux distro ever IMO. =D> It's all I'm using at home now (still gotta use ******* at work) and I am completely happy with the system.
    Today, everybody remembers Galileo. How many can name the bishops and professors who refused to look through his telescope? - James Hogan, Mind Matters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by wishes View Post
    Yeah there is definatly more females using nowdays than there used to be. I remember back in the day (at least 8 years ago or so) it was completly unheard of to find females and linux. Even now there are only 1 or 2 other females in my local LUG (and to be honest i think one of them used to be a man at some point).

The funny thing is that now there are more females, im not really that keen on joining in etc - i guess i got used to being just 'one of the guys'.

I agree with the last statement, to the fullest, however, most of my friends don't even know what Linux is, so I don't ususally have a problem. But on forums and so on, sometimes it's complicated because women are so picky.

I haven't had a chance to join a LUG, as I haven't made contact with a human being in my area that uses Linux. Either it's too complicated, can't run games, emulators don't work, crashes, windows is my security blanket, etc. etc.. So I just decided to fall into the wood work of having a diffrent OS than Windows. Most girls I know can't start up a computer correctly.

Beans

Why the discussion, there is now a forum for women, we are welcome to post as well following the same guidelines as everyone else, i don't understand why this should even be a question.

Women do as they wish anyway.

I told my ex wife to install Slackware and choose hds8 for root hda9 for home and hds10 for swap

She tried to install Mandrake and failed misrably, well i guess there is a lesson to be learned from that, (i'm single) i don't really know.

Beans

I've been using Ubuntu since last November, & finaly got to having a little look at the Ubuntu Women's sub forum, it's great, women communicate so much better than men, as a pretty solid general rule...

No need for pigeon holing, don't WE have a great operating system, & absolutely the best forum I've ever seen anywhere!!!

The thing that really knocks me out, is that it is going to keep on getting better, when it's allready good enough!

Beans

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast