Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Newbie Support

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    Whenever I use Windows, it's effortless in my opinion. That's just an opinion that's why I don't need to be challenged. Using it is very easy because as you said, it's with how people adapt and we have adapted to it.
    And as mentioned elsewhere, Windows is effortless when you are comfortable with it. Have you had much experience with Windows newbies? Microsoft have spent a lot of time and money getting their interfaces working, and Windows in general hand-holds brand new users, but Windows newbies ask the same questions over and over also.

Linux is a little different because at the moment the kind of people who install it are usually that step ahead of complete computer newbie. Give an Ubuntu machine to someone who has had no experience of computers before and they will ask very different questions than those who chose to try Ubuntu themselves.

A user with a default install of Ubuntu who only 'installs' applications by selecting them from the Add/Remove section will have a lovely stable machine, and will probably only ask questions specific to applications rather than the OS - mainly because they didn't KNOW that they might be able to connect their mobile phone and sync their to-do lists etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Windows effortless? That depends on what it is you're trying to do. Try installing a newer model HP printer - the driver is not included with the OS itself, you're forced to install 400+ MB of crap just to get the printer operational. Try eliminating the popup message you get whenever you send a print job to a network printer. I didn't even realize this was possible until someone emailed me the solution (which is far from intuitive).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i think it should be noted that ubuntu is not the ultimate newbie distro. if you're a newbie, distros like pclinuxos, mint, or mephis may be a better starting point.
    a nice read is Is Ubuntu for You?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by meng View Post
    Windows effortless? That depends on what it is you're trying to do. Try installing a newer model HP printer - the driver is not included with the OS itself, you're forced to install 400+ MB of crap just to get the printer operational.
    I am getting more and more annoyed that hardware manufacturers are doing this sort of thing. I know most people have access to a high-speed internet connection, but can you imagine a dial-up user trying to get one of these gigantic HP 'drivers'? Intel's Wifi 'drivers' are only just slightly less than 100Mb - what the hell is that all about?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Better Newbie Support

There have been good guides online. Among those are "Ubuntu Screencasts," "How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu," etc.
    Thank you.

We need more of these things.
    I agree! The Ubuntu Screencast Team is looking for people to help spec up and make screencasts. Just click the Team link on the page linked above for more information. There is a how-to guide to making Screencasts and a list of screencasts we would like to see made. These can of course be edited (It *is* a wiki!) and feedback is always welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    The thing is, the kind of unwanted behavior we're talking about isn't specific to Linux communities, or even online communities; as I and others tried to point out, it has its roots in "real life" experiences, habits and conditions. It's not something we can cure entirely with online precautions, better and easier to understand documentation, so on.
    This is very true. I'm a moderator on a musical fansite forum, and what you described in your 4 points is something we deal with on a weekly basis.

I personally have found the documentation for Ubuntu excellent. I've found my answers pretty easily, either by searching google, or searching here on the forums. The HOW TO's have been a godsend for a few of my items. I've read as much as I can, and haven't had to ask too many questions because everything I wanted has been here. I also bought a couple of books which have been handy references as well. (I'm not comfortable enough to answer people's questions since I'm not sure myself on some things.)

Some want the answers *now* and just don't have the patience to do a google search, or a search on a site/forum--they want a 'quick fix' instead of taking the time to learn a bit about it (whatever subject it is) and either print it out, or write it down. There can be as much documentation as you can get, but in the end, there will still be those that will not look at them and will still ask the same questions over and over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
    I am getting more and more annoyed that hardware manufacturers are doing this sort of thing. I know most people have access to a high-speed internet connection, but can you imagine a dial-up user trying to get one of these gigantic HP 'drivers'? Intel's Wifi 'drivers' are only just slightly less than 100Mb - what the hell is that all about?
    I know!! I'm still on dialup and despise soo much new stuff insisting on you downloading HUGE files from the web - a driver should NOT be any more than a couple MB at MOST - hundreds is totally unacceptable. I actually had windows updates turned OFF In xp because keeping the damn thing up-to-date required being online pretty much 24/7 (especially when you add in virus, spyware and adware updates!!)!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    I know!! I'm still on dialup and despise soo much new stuff insisting on you downloading HUGE files from the web - a driver should NOT be any more than a couple MB at MOST - hundreds is totally unacceptable. I actually had windows updates turned OFF In xp because keeping the damn thing up-to-date required being online pretty much 24/7 (especially when you add in virus, spyware and adware updates!!)!
    please let's try to keep the thread on-topic. grumbling about third-party mfg's windows "Driver" downloads is worth starting another thread--preferrably in the appropriate Windows forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970
    they want a 'quick fix' instead of taking the time to learn a bit about it (whatever subject it is)
    Actually, in almost all cases, doing a search doesn't mean they have to learn something; by doing a search, they can get to a thread where the same question was asked by a newcomer and answered in simple terms. This is why they're old questions; they've already been answered, and the answers are just waiting to be found. In other words, in almost all cases, one can get the same "quick fix" by doing a search; and even quicker. Just if they knew.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast