Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caffeine?

Beans

Caffeine?

What your favorite source? I worked in the 2nd most popular coffee shop in the US, and I've had all kinds of crazy drinks. In the end, I settled on this: 4 shots of espresso, 4 squirts raspberry syrup, and 2 ice cubes (No Milk!). It's a little harsh out of the gate, but after a few years in a coffee shop, you earn the ability to drink it.

I tried bawls, but it gives me a headache during the rise. That's no fun. So, espresso shots for me.

I think the forum staff should add my drink to the list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Caffeine?

Starbucks maybe once every other week or so. They're too expensive to do every day. I usually like a venti sugar free vanilla latte with whole milk. Can't stand coffee plain. It has to have a flavor like vanilla or chocolate.

I make a concoction at home, sometimes. Cocoa, sugar free vanilla flavoring, cream and coffee, and a sugar free whipped cream on top. Yummm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

2 or 3 mugs of piping hot black coffee. No frills, no extras, just coffee.

I burr grind my own coffee beans right before use, and only use cold filtered water in the carafe. My favorite type of coffee is a mix of half Columbian Supremo and Hawaiian Kona with a bit of Saigon cinnamon sprinkled on top of the grounds (takes a bit of the edge off the taste). For day to day, I use generic Columbian because Kona is expensive and I'm in college.

I use a Percolator to brew (even though it's technically a horrible way to brew coffee) because I like the sound, and it tastes better than drip in my opinion. I also have a French Press, a regular basket Drip, and an Espresso machine. I use the Espresso machine to make other people their frilly drinks, and the occasional double shot of espresso for me.

I want to get a Vacuum Pot and a Turkish coffee system. My roommates think I'm obsessed
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans

You might be obsessed, but it's an obsession I can relate to. If you're going to be addicted to anything, coffee isn't the worst choice. I use my French press sometimes. I almost always grind my beans right before brewing up a pot. Whichever method I use, I get a little coffee almost every day.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post
    Starbucks maybe once every other week or so. They're too expensive to do every day. I usually like a venti sugar free vanilla latte with whole milk. Can't stand coffee plain. It has to have a flavor like vanilla or chocolate.

I make a concoction at home, sometimes. Cocoa, sugar free vanilla flavoring, cream and coffee, and a sugar free whipped cream on top. Yummm.
    lol I'm horribly embarrassed to admit this, but I like Schul's Hazelnut Cinnamon flavored coffee, with International Delight Hazelnut flavored cream, a lot of sugar, and cinnamon-sugar on top. Whipped cream when available.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phossal View Post
    What your favorite source? I worked in the 2nd most popular coffee shop in the US, and I've had all kinds of crazy drinks. In the end, I settled on this: 4 shots of espresso, 4 squirts raspberry syrup, and 2 ice cubes (No Milk!). It's a little harsh out of the gate, but after a few years in a coffee shop, you earn the ability to drink it.

I tried bawls, but it gives me a headache during the rise. That's no fun. So, espresso shots for me.

I think the forum staff should add my drink to the list.
    None, xanthines (caffeine, teophyllamine) will inevitably lower your insulin sensitivity so greatly that it has been used instead of fructose to induce insulin resistance in laboratory animals.

Add sugar and NO MILK (no caseine and no fat) to that and you got yourself a recepie for obesity.

If i needed that kind of jolt i'd get some amphetamine, that would be healthier in the long run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have arthritis, and although I don't mind a cup of coffee, I'm trying this diet which means cutting out caffeine and a whole bunch of other stuff. Don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Kevin's just a little obsessed. He gets grounds all over the counter in the kitchen. As for my poison, typically a fuh-stupid amount of Coca-cola, but for an all nighter, wait until Kevin is making coffee and tag along. I sometimes will get Starbucks on the way to class, but it's kinda expensive.
    "I have a dream." ~Sigmund Freud
    Linux User #440039 / Ubuntu User #11324

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DrainBead View Post
    None, xanthines (caffeine, teophyllamine) will inevitably lower your insulin sensitivity so greatly that it has been used instead of fructose to induce insulin resistance in laboratory animals.

Add sugar and NO MILK (no caseine and no fat) to that and you got yourself a recepie for obesity.

If i needed that kind of jolt i'd get some amphetamine, that would be healthier in the long run.
    Oh, yeah, it's horrible for you. In addition to everything you said, caffeine prevents vitamin E uptake, etc. etc. But I've run a marathon every year for the last five - I'm not worried about being fat. And, while I can't rationalize making a bad health decision, I can say it's one of the few bad ones I make.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tomosaur View Post
    I have arthritis, and although I don't mind a cup of coffee, I'm trying this diet which means cutting out caffeine and a whole bunch of other stuff. Don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try
    Try some glucoseamine with that and add 8-10 grams of Omega 3's while staying away from beef and egg yolks while ingesting 2-400mg's of acetyl L-Cysteine and at least 3-5 grams of ascorbic acid (if your stomach can handle it)

Would you mind describing your diet and keeping me posted (via PM's)?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast