View Poll Results: Will you get a Darter?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obviously

3 3.57%
  • Would love to, but I'm poor

46 54.76%
  • I'm gonna steal, pillage and pinch to get one

12 14.29%
  • Nah, not that fussed.

17 20.24%
  • A Win.dows key? I'm not touching that.

6 7.14%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: System 76: Who's gonna buy a Darter?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Lightbulb System 76: Who's gonna buy a Darter?

Just a poll to satiate my curiosity and boredom.

But this does look sweet does it not.

For those of you who don't read planet ubuntu - Joey Stanford got a pre-release 'Darter' Laptop from System76.

# Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz 4MB 667FSB
    # 1.5 GB DDR2 667 MHz
    # 60 GB 7200 RPM
    # Intel 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
    # Bluetooth
    # SD Card slot
    # Intel 945GM

Click here for more pics and info
    Last edited by Aetherius; January 23rd, 2007 at 01:10 PM.
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: System 76: Who's gonna buy a Darter?

I think we're all just a little too poor to get one, but would love to support System 76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

im poor, but i'm gonna find a way, credit card+debt here i come
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Video sux, so does the Mac look.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

Windows key on a preinstalled GNU/linux machine? Come on. This is like Ford sticking the Toyota symbol on the new Fusion just because Toyotas use internal combustion engines, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ZylGadis View Post
    Windows key on a preinstalled GNU/linux machine? Come on. This is like Ford sticking the Toyota symbol on the new Fusion just because Toyotas use internal combustion engines, too.
    the keyboard's a trivial matter. I have right winkey set as 'compose' in GNOME.

This laptop suits all of my needs. I want.

Beans

It is not a trivial matter at all. Sure, one/two more keys are useful, you can set them to shortcuts like you have done. That, however, is totally irrelevant with respect to what the keys look like. Why not have some other symbol there? Like a small gnu or penguin?
    Again, look at the Ford example above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

not really, your analogy is flawed. If they used the SAME internal combustion engine you might be abit closer to actually being able to apply that... also if the new fusion was actually built into a toyota chasis, then u'd be damn near a good anology. Unfortunately, its not and you're not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It is not a trivial matter at all. Sure, one/two more keys are useful, you can set them to shortcuts like you have done. That, however, is totally irrelevant with respect to what the keys look like. Why not have some other symbol there? Like a small gnu or penguin?
    Again, look at the Ford example above.
    Then pay up. Keyboards are commodity hardware, right down to the decals/markings/whatever on the keycaps.

Volumes for Linux-special keyboards are small, but the cost to tool-up for making keyboards with tux on the extended keys is the same; thus the per-unit cost of production goes up. If you're willing to pay an even greater premium on such a superficial piece of equipment, well, more power to you.

I read it as a net positive: Linux runs on machines that have winkeys.

Beans

Well, to make it a bit more clear, I don't give a damn who actually makes the chassis. All I care for is that I am buying a Ford and it comes with a Toyota symbol. Wtf? And it's not like Microsoft make laptop chassises (or is it chasses?), either.
    Anyway, I don't care much for this laptop, but to each his own.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast