Thread: Net browsing - from Windows vs Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Net browsing - from Windows vs Linux

Chaps

I need a suggestion from you regarding net surfing.

Currently WindowsXP is installed in my computer. I access web thru a cable modem broadband.

I use Internet Explorer 6 and/or Firefox with AVG antivirus + ZoneAlarm Pro firewall + AdAwareSE antispyware.

But I also do have Knoppix and Ubuntu live DVDs. I have already used both. And from Knoppix, I have checked that I could use it to browse internet as well (with the Knoppix builtin firewall on). I didn't check internet access from Ubuntu but I think it will work too.

Now, from security perspective (virus, spyware etc.) am I better of surfing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Net browsing - from Windows vs Linux

You can never be absolutely secure anywhere.
    You are using Windows with Firewall, AntiVirus, and all but Windows lags behind Linux in Security. Whether you install Latest AntiVirus, Firewall, and all, Windows will still be vulnerable.
    I suggest you transfer all your work from Windows to Linux, and you would be ahead of most on securing your PC.
    Of you still are bent upon using windows then I suggest you to do also the following:
    (1) Download security updates regularly.
    (2) Along with AV and firewall, also install Spyware remover like Spybot S&D.
    (3) Never use Internet Explorer. Use only Firefox/Opera for browsing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Definitely more secure surfing with Linux. No spyware and no virus's. That said, you have a very secure system from the sounds of it anyway and I don't think you would have a problem. I wouldn't use IE though... at all. If you want to check out another nice browser (for linux or windows) have a look at Opera 9.10, it's free and it rocks .

Regards,
    Stew2
    Ubuntu... It just works!

Beans

same here. firefox and opera in windows does help though. And they are faster than their IE6 or IE7 counterpart. Did I also add morefunctional and secure. However, the surfing experience in Windows is not near that in Linux.
    I have fewer browser crashes if any on Linux versus those on windows. I also do not go to my yahoo or gmail page and find that my homepage or the site redirects me to somewhere lese.

Sure you can get the ISP to help with giving you all sorts of extra apps like ad-ware, AVG-prot antivirus, and Zone Alarm Security Suite. I mentioned these three things because these are a must have for windows, but they are better than their equivalents for windows. Trust me on that. Use Internet Explorer 6 / 7 if you have to, but try to avoid its usage as much as possible. Use Opera, firefox, or even netscape.
    My favorite distros: Mint / Manjaro / Archbang
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, Semplice,

Beans

Since most viruses and trojan horses target M$ Windows I recommend that you use Linux.
    Even with all that expensive software that you have, your computer will never reach the security that Linux has.

Or your second option would be to use Firefox along with all that security.
    Educate men without faith and you make them clever devils
    Educate men without Linux, then yeah, the opposite happens
    Let Chakra guide the way
    U.3F

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there, I'm also wondering about this. With Windows I was constantly running AdAware/Spybot/AVG, to clean up my system. Do I need to do anything of the sort, now that I'm using linux? I'm currently running Ubuntu 6.10 pretty much stock... Should I download a virus scanner or something?
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Education is what is left when you have forgotten all the facts. -Francis Bacon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    Hi there, I'm also wondering about this. With Windows I was constantly running AdAware/Spybot/AVG, to clean up my system. Do I need to do anything of the sort, now that I'm using linux? I'm currently running Ubuntu 6.10 pretty much stock... Should I download a virus scanner or something?
    Nope .. using linux you're almost completely free of viruses. Most of them are fow Win only 4 (i think) exist for linux, so you can see the probability if caching one. However if you want to check your files, you can do that. Ussually when people send files to win, they scan their files. At least I do (sometimes).

The best thing about linux is net surfing. While using win i had constantly problems with my connection. I ha a virus scanner, ad-aware, spybot, ..., and a firewall. However, once I scanned my comp. it still was infected. Though it was ussually just spyware, the feeling of beeing so exposed wasn't good. But ubuntu just rules, it saves lifes=D>
    love the penguin