Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Please share your experiences with System76

Beans

Re: Please share your experiences with System76

I have a month old Serval Pro 15" 2720QM i7 (SandyBridge), 8GB 1600MHz RAM (another 8GB is on its way from newegg), Nvidia GTX 580M, and 500GB HDD

I love this computer. I have been able to configure an awesome crunchbang linux install - looks exactly like I want (gorgeous), is super mega fast (flawless), and has all the apps/utilities I need to do everything I need to do (efficient).

The only problems that I had was with drivers for the GTX580M. Before anyone gets concerned about this, you have to understand that (1) I was trying to install unsupported distros (2) when the laptop was delivered the card was setup properly (3) the card was SUPER MEGA EPIC BLEEDING EDGE NEW when I got it, so there were very few people who had them, and fewer still that are worried about. I was able to resolve this issue with assistance from the great team from sys76 on this forum.

Finally, the thing that impressed me most about sys76is this: when I originally made my order I had selected the GTX485M and 1333MHz RAM. About 5 days after I ordered, I got a phone call from sys76 telling me that the 485M had just dropped in price dramatically, a new card the 580M was being released at the price I was going to pay for the 485M, and the memory had also dropped price about $50 or so. I was given the option of being credited the difference after they adjust my order to match the new prices or to upgrade to the new 580M and different RAM (I went with 1600Mhz RAM). I was extremely satisfied after this phone call. I may be wrong but I feel like many companies would have tried to hide these price changes from me,hope I never see it/mention it, and make me jump through hoops to have it changed if I did notice. Sys76 on the other-hand took care of me, and in the process earned my respect, trust, and gratitude.

Thank you System 76!

Beans

One further observation on my Darter. I find that the signal strength and therefore the connection speed to my wireless network is much better with the Darter than it was with my ThinkPad plus NetGear WG511T wireless card. From a distance of about 25 feet through thick plaster and lath walls my Darter shows a signal strength of 4 bars (nearly 100%,) from the same location I would get at best two bars (about 35-37%,) with my ThinkPad. Not sure if this is a configuration proble, or a problem with the Atheros Drivers installed by Ubuntu. I also am now picking up two outside access points I never new I was within range of. One is encrypted, but one is wide open.....But I'm being good,....really.

Beans

Starting a new job soon and was pleased to find System76. Never really considered them in the past but not sure why. I bought a Dell XPS15 laptop in February and have struggled with little things like cooling issues, no hibernate/suspend, and of course the silly hybrid Intel/Nvidia graphics stuff.

I asked my soon-to-be-boss if I could get the 17" laptop from System76, mostly based on the experiences I've read from other users here about their support, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

After trying to buy an Ubuntu (or no OS) laptop from Dell and HP and having a terrible time, we got a Starling netbook for my wife from System 76. We had the best experience calling them, and received it in the mail lightning fast. Everything worked beautifully out of the box, and it looks great. We are extremely happy with our choice and hope that this company continues to grow without sacrificing their amazing customer service and product quality.

Beans

Hey guys,

Just about to order a Syste 76 but rumor has it they have their own custom installs and setting to tweak the system? If I reimage how do you go about restoring those settings?

Feeling nervous about spending $700 on a product I can't touch first from a brand I have never used before.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by securitymeddler
    how do you go about restoring those settings?
    There are detailed instructions at

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System

Have a great day.

Beans

Got my Starling a couple weeks ago and I love it. It's small, light, simple, inexpensive, and has great battery life (6-cell). And everything worked out of the box.

The only real problem I had is with the touchpad. It's too sensitive; I was having some annoying accidental click-touches while typing. So I decided to turn of "touch to click". The general online help didn't work, but the instructions at http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Star5 worked perfectly. And the instruction at knowledge76 tell you every single step, so even a complete linux noob can follow them.

Thanks for a great product!

- wdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Got my Bonobo last night, it rocks, but I'm having some issues. Namely, one of the USB 3.0 ports seems to have some trouble if I plug in a USB thumb drive and transfer large files over (some sort of splicing error). And the laptop battery is forever "estimating..." I haven't heard a peep from support yet.

On the positive side, though, the laptop is really sweet, and Ubuntu 11.04 runs like a dream on this thing (80GB SSD!).

Beans
    Hidden!

System76 +1 for linux compatible hardware
    - i will not buy system76 however, because i can buy the same quality components for less money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1150m471c View Post
    System76 +1 for linux compatible hardware
    - i will not buy system76 however, because i can buy the same quality components for less money.
    Really? I priced a Clevo laptop (which is exactly what System76 uses and rebrands), compared it to their Bonobo and it was the same exact price. I believe the Sager NP8170 (same laptop) is around the same price too.

Besides, the advantage of going with System76 isn't necessarily price or hardware, but the fact that their drivers fix Ubuntu's little quirks so it runs much better than it would on some other laptop.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast