Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu strikes out!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Ubuntu strikes out!!!

Someone needs to get a message to the Ubunu team. Many of us have tried to upgrade to 6.10 with existing Ubuntu partitions and we are all getting the same (No Root Found) error.

FIX IT!!!!!

There are hundreds of posts about this and no good "work around" unless you are a Linux Geek. Linux is doom if it remains in the hands of Geeks. The whole development team (but especially the managers) need to read Alan Cooper's book, The Inmates Are Running the Asylum. That's exactly what's wrong. Geeks don't relate at all to the average user. They like things that are complex and difficult to use.

When will they get with the program and fix this glaring error? Steve Jobs would never have let this OS be released with a major bug like this.

Why doesn't my system just ask me if I want to upgrade to 6.10 and if I say YES it just downloads the right files and does it? That's really not too much to ask and it is really how Ubuntu should function.

Thanks. DB

Beans

Re: Ubuntu strikes out!!!

Move to Cafe.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Please, stop being so ignorant, search and u will find one way or another.
    U can also join in on irc #ubuntu and i'm sure someone will be happy to help.
    I think ubuntu is great.
    So many free programs, and really, i don't have to tell u either the alternatives are worse.

Greetings

Beans

1. you should have never upraded to 6.10, many people have issues with it.
    2. you have choices, pick another distro
    3. ask for help and your problems will be solved, but ask in the right place with the right question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I'm not ignorant. I have searched and tried many "work arounds" none of which worked. I like Ubuntu a lot also but I don't have the time to go hunting to solve a problem that should not exist and that should have been fixed by now.

If you think that's unreasonable you're the ignorant one here.
    Last edited by purebuilt; January 21st, 2007 at 10:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Who is this "we" anyway? Ubuntu 6.10 works great for me. If Linux is in the hands of Geeks, then how do you expect to take it away?
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by purebuilt View Post
    I'm not ignorate. I have searched and tried many "work arounds" none of which worked. I like Ubuntu a lot also but I don't have the time to go hunting to solve a problem that should not exist and that should have been fixed by now.

If you think that's unreasonable you're the ignorant one here.
    not ignorate hmm...

im sorry im a stickler for spelling
    | Install Flash9 | Enable extra Repos | X doesn't start? Look Here | Beware Malicious Commands |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Who is this "we" anyway? Ubuntu 6.10 works great for me. If Linux is in the hands of Geeks, then how do you expect to take it away?
    Are you on the development team? If not, then it don't mean you. Read the post under the word "Find" above and you'll see people saying the same thing I am. The fix is terrible. The development team dropped that ball on this vital function (installing over an older Unbuntu partion). Did you install it that way? If not, then again, this does not refer to your experience.

Thanks.
    Last edited by purebuilt; January 21st, 2007 at 10:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

dont let the door hit you on the way out

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

extract:
    A Windows user will not endear himself by bringing his habitual attitudes over to Linux, to put it mildly.

The biggest cause of friction tends to be in the online interactions: A "3a" user new to Linux asks for help with a problem he's having. When he doesn't get that help at what he considers an acceptable rate, he starts complaining and demanding more help. Because that's what he's used to doing with paid-for tech support. The problem is that this isn't paid-for support. This is a bunch of volunteers who are willing to help people with problems out of the goodness of their hearts. The new user has no right to demand anything from them, any more than somebody collecting for charity can demand larger donations from contributors.
    sudo make me a sandwich

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

to think bugs shouldn't exist.....it's pretty ignorant...
    i mean, really what choise u have then? to move to an os where many bugs aren't even fixed at all. Google for the 'notepad bug', catch my drift?
    Anyway, to stay ontopic, bugs will proberly always exist, and the only way to get help is to ask specific questions, so that u can be helped properly.

Greetings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast