Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Really Enjoy your Ubuntu (or any Linux) distro?

Beans

How to Really Enjoy your Ubuntu (or any Linux) distro?

so I am the guy that had installed Ubuntu 6.10 and has come straight from 15 years of Windows use. I know that Windows is a closed source and commercial operating system while Linux distributions are open source (I think all of them are) and community supported. From what I hear this community support and open-source allows for a complete customization of your operating system. While coming from Windows I am very accustomed to the Windows operating system so I am not really tuned in to the whole customization of the OS thing but I want to learn how to really get into customizing it and having a fun experience.
    I am not going to be making the 'complete switch' to any Linux distro over Windows probably ever because the main reason I built my PC was to play PC games. Apart from school work, sporadic Internet searching (mostly youtube.com and google.com) and learning programming and/or webpage creation/editing (currently I am starting to learn how to make simple webpages) all I do on my computer is play videogames. While I play games alot I have gotten to where I can't play games for really long periods of time like I used to.. I have started to be less of a gamer and more of a techie.. so instead of playing 10 hours straight of a game like I used to I usually play 1-1.5 hours then take a break 1-2 hours and try to learn things like webpage editing or a programming language. Right now one of the things I am messing around with is Ubuntu.
    I really want to know how to customize my Linux distro and just have a good time with it. Coming from Windows my idea of customization is buying a program to do something that I want to be able to do such as photo editing or something of that sort and I don't really understand how you would customize an OS much farther than programs to suit your needs. Are there any things with customizing that I should specifically try that would be interesting/fun because as of right now Windows does everything that I "need"?
    Last edited by presbp; January 21st, 2007 at 08:51 AM.

Beans

Re: How to Really Enjoy your Ubuntu (or any Linux) distro?

Move to Cafe.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

First, I suggest above all else installing Automatix so you can use files like .mp3 and other nifty programs to have, like Java and bittorrent programs.

After that - just have fun. I usually, in the Home folder, make sub-folders like "Music", "Movie", etc. just so I can have places to save stuff.

If you run into problems, then you should come to the forums and look around the wiki.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by presbp View Post
    I really want to know how to customize my Linux distro and just have a good time with it. Coming from Windows my idea of customization is buying a program to do something that I want to be able to do such as photo editing or something of that sort and I don't really understand how you would customize an OS much farther than programs to suit your needs. Are there any things with customizing that I should specifically try that would be interesting/fun because as of right now Windows does everything that I "need"?
    Well, you can customise almost anything depending upon your expertise
    Anything from changing your icon set to hacking the kernel can be done.

Since you mention that you enjoyed web development, I suggest you get apache up and running and take advantage of the endless amount of build tools that are available on Unix-like machines.
    You can do development in a host of languages like Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, or even set up a web application server like Tomcat or with a little luck, MS' .NET platform (I am not too sure about how easy that would be) for rapid development of Business webapps.
    As far as software development goes, this is home.
    Last edited by runningwithscissors; January 21st, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SZF2001 View Post
    First, I suggest above all else installing Automatix so you can use files like .mp3 and other nifty programs to have, like Java and bittorrent programs.

After that - just have fun. I usually, in the Home folder, make sub-folders like "Music", "Movie", etc. just so I can have places to save stuff.

If you run into problems, then you should come to the forums and look around the wiki.
    I would strongly recommend against installing Automatix, for two reasons.
    1. It ruins your chance to learn about your system, and why things are as they are.
    2. It is very likely to break your system in unforseen ways, and does things that you could easily do by hand; and it does those in different ways. In this way, if you install Automatix, you will receive no support from the developers, and it will be harder for those here to help you. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Beans

Come on, man. Automatix is key. Yes, it will help you learn a few commands, but that's basically it.

sudo aptitude install (whatever program)

sudo gst-register-0.8 (for stuff like LAME)

That's basically all a new person wants to know - average Joe wouldn't think highly of command lines. Even though those two alone are the most basic, do you think your own grandmother or even other (average, not extremely smart) relatives would sit down and take time in actually finding out what packages they need?

If the Windows to Ubuntu/Linux merge will ever happen, we'll need Automatix for some success (please note I said some). You may as well suggest it to new users since it will soon become the norm.

EDIT: Also, new guy, your going to need to make sure all repositories are on (except for the CD one).

Beans

I find that the Ubuntu starter guide is the best thing out there. Ive been having problems with Automatix the last few times Ive tried it. I think Arnieboy and the team have many a bug to fix before I would recommend it to anyone for anything but to install a couple of codecs and thats about it.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

I I suggest downloadingt themes as a good way to start customizing. GDM Login screens are nice, too. Try gnome-look.org or a similar site.
    If you have a graphics card, try beryl. Download a few different desktop environments, maybe gnome and enlightenment. I think using automatix is unecessary in edgy. I would enable backports in your repos, though. (Administration > software sources.)
    Doing stuff yourself pays in th elong run and it's not that hard.

There is a lot more to customize on ubuntu than on windows.

On my computer I see a new login window almost every time because I have installed a bunch and it randomly picks one.

I'm using an inverted white on black theme, with beryl goodness, you might try starting with gnome themes, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would say that it just comes down to what suits a user best! I myself find both 'Automatix' and 'Ubuntu Starter Guide' very useful.
    Being a thicky, I just cut and paste into the terminal 90% of the time because I normally can't remember the correct Linux code

Beans

my I suggest easyubuntu ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast