Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VMWare Player / Windows XP / Ubuntu Repositories

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: VMWare Player / Windows XP / Ubuntu Repositories

Quote Originally Posted by groova View Post
    just a quick note of thanks from a linux-noob.

i'm installing windows as i write and i'm thrilled. this tutorial was easy, even for a point-and-clicker like me.

kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3hkg View Post
    I have gotten VMware running XP before, however this time around your tutorial was the easiest and most helpful, thank you. Less effort and more functionality, I cannot complain a bit.
    Thank you for the compliments.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good How-To.

I just want to add a couple of things. Hopefully this adds to the ease of using vmplayer.

a. In lieu of step 2,3 and 4, use easyvmx.com. Click a few parameters and your vmx and vmdk files are created. And it offers option for any guest OS, plus no need to install qemu. You can browse and edit the vmx files if you want (specially for those who like to tweak certain settings, ie. printer port, sound cards, etc).

b. Skip creating an iso file, you can use the original CD of the operating system. Just load the vmx file into vmplayer (default settings normally is have CD-ROM active on startup). Load your Windows CD in your cd-drive (or any other OS installer) and during boot-up, vmplayer will find and load the installer. Remember that booting the vmx is like starting an actual machine with no OS. If there's a bootable CD in your drive, it will load that. I use this method to install any guest OS inside vmplayer. I only use the *.iso option if I downloaded an iso image to test a particular OS.

If you use the original CD, you can skip steps 5,7 and 9. And with easyvmx, 6 also.

So my steps are:
    1. Have easyvmx create virtual machines files for any OS i want to try inside vmware.
    2. If using iso (generally downloaded linux, solaris, freebsd images), I edit the vmx file to point to iso image. If using CD, go straight to next step.
    3. If using CD, insert CD into drive, fire vmplayer using the vmx file created in 1. Follow OS installer prompts.
    4. At end of install eject CD prior to reboot, or edit vmx file to detach iso image (if using iso).

HTH.

Jox
    Last edited by JoxBG; March 19th, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

qemu-img create -f vmdk /mydir/Winblowsxp.vmdk 8192000
    bash: $: command not found

um... I have qemu installed.

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoxBG View Post
    1. Have easyvmx create virtual machines files for any OS i want to try inside vmware.
    2. If using iso (generally downloaded linux, solaris, freebsd images), I edit the vmx file to point to iso image. If using CD, go straight to next step.
    3. If using CD, insert CD into drive, fire vmplayer using the vmx file created in 1. Follow OS installer prompts.
    4. At end of install eject CD prior to reboot, or edit vmx file to detach iso image (if using iso).
    Thanks for your input and the steps mentioned above, but this is so completely different, that it would need it's own HOWTO. This HOWTO is specifically for using WindowsXP (although any OS is supported) & VMWare from the repositories.

If you would like, just create a new post here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

But this is good to have if anyone wants a UI option (if that's what it is).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wushumofo View Post
    bash: $: command not found

um... I have qemu installed.

any ideas?
    It looks as though you copied and pasted this,

Code:
    $ qemu-img create -f vmdk /mydir/Winblowsxp.vmdk 8192000
    when the EXACT code you should copy is,

Code:
    The "$" American Dollar sign is used to signify that the code goes into the terminal/BASH. Please omit the "$" from all of the code you copy and paste.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    It looks as though you copied and pasted this,

Code:
    $ qemu-img create -f vmdk /mydir/Winblowsxp.vmdk 8192000
    when the EXACT code you should copy is,

Code:
    The "$" American Dollar sign is used to signify that the code goes into the terminal/BASH. Please omit the "$" from all of the code you copy and paste.

yup... I did copy and paste....

From... my... TERMINAL... to... the... BROWSER.
    I know the $ is the symbol for the bash prompt.
    and if you look at the number, I've altered it to an appropriate 8gig. (for my 9gig drive)
    ALSO. I've changed the directory to "mydir" because I'd prefer not to show the full directory that I'm creating the virtual drive on.

So now maybe you can help me with the fact that I have qemu installed... yet it says it's unable to find the command qemu-img create -f vmdk /mydir/Winblowsxp.vmdk 8192000

(you know... without... the $ infront.)

(Sorry for seeming like such a jackass, but sweet Lord. I thought people here would at least give me the benefit of the doubt and think... "hey... this guy's got to at least know how to handle a bash prompt.")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

dumb question, do you have to have a nfts partition to set this up on or something? When it start copying files over just as it finishes it blue memory dumps with a file structure error, when I cross referenced with microsoft docs it said main cause is poorly configured ntfs file system.

Doesn't make sense though its a vm lol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pirothezero View Post
    dumb question, do you have to have a nfts partition to set this up on or something? When it start copying files over just as it finishes it blue memory dumps with a file structure error, when I cross referenced with microsoft docs it said main cause is poorly configured ntfs file system.

Doesn't make sense though its a vm lol.
    No, you shouldn't have to have an ntfs partition set up to run this. My question is how big did you make your virtual drive? That might have something to do with this issue...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Running windows from vmplayer will recognize devices (printers, scanners) like a standalone windows installation?
    Control Panel Review | [https://db.tt/cCwEcQyz]Get Dropbox for Free[/url]
    <?php adopt or die ?>

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    Thanks for your input and the steps mentioned above, but this is so completely different, that it would need it's own HOWTO. This HOWTO is specifically for using WindowsXP (although any OS is supported) & VMWare from the repositories.

If you would like, just create a new post here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100

But this is good to have if anyone wants a UI option (if that's what it is).
    I was just trying to help in your steps, you ask people to make an iso out of their WindowsXP CD. Why? You can install WindowsXP from the CD direct, just insert it into CD-drive. The virtual machine will detect the CD-ROM. Also, I don't understand the UI option reference? What UI?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast