Thread: Need some help understand the new GPL

Beans

Talking Need some help understand the new GPL

Hi,
    I have been reading a lot of articles about the new GPL Richard Stallman plans to put out. I think it's version 3.0 or something like that? Anyway, I was a little confused on what it was all about and how it would effect the community. I know that Linus was upset about it but didn't really know why so figured that it was because I just didn't understand what the old GPL was or the new one. I was wondering what other people's thoughts were on the GPL and if they agreed with it or didn't. Also, why? Also if some could kind of explain it that would be very helpful in laymans terms.
    I personally think I agree with most of it, however foceing people to be non proprietary I think is just as wrong as the proprietary focing people to use their product.
    I don't wanna start a flame board just needed some clarification, thanks,

The Net Duck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Need some help understand the new GPL

One of the main points of gpl3 would be internationalization, meaning that the wording is looked over and adjusted to make sure that it says exactly the same thing in different parts of the world and that also other countries', apart from the US, copyright laws are taken into account. Internationalization is one of the non-controversial issues of gpl3, though.

Floss Weekly podcast ep. 13 has an interview with Eben Moglen, General Counsel of the FSF. Direct link to Floss weekly #13 mp3 (there's no OGG ) EDIT: Yes, there is an OGG aswell. (I think one cannot subscribe to an rss-feed for the OGG, though.)
    Last edited by migla; January 20th, 2007 at 01:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: FLOSS Weekly OGG-cast feed

Quote Originally Posted by migla View Post
    Floss Weekly podcast...EDIT: Yes, there is an OGG aswell. (I think one cannot subscribe to an rss-feed for the OGG, though.)
    Bumping a very old thread to mention that there is an OGG feed for FLOSS Weekly