Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edgy shouldn't have been released

Edgy shouldn't have been released

Heya,
    I have been using Ubuntu as my main OS since 6.06 was released. I was a huge fan, but the latest release, 6.10, has caused more problems than it has solved for me.

Ubuntu is supposed to be the Windows-killer; the Linux that is usable by humans; the one I can finally recommend to Mom and Pop. I'm a power-user, and I couldn't get 6.10 to work. How is any of that supposed to happen with this quality of a release? A release is supposed to be stable, 6.10 is not even close.

Let me list what happened:

I want to give 6.10 a try after a wonderful time with 6.06. I decide to do an upgrade so I don't lose my data, and at that, through the GUI. An hour later ... everything's fine, so I reboot.

The computer boots up, but there is no gnome only an ugly blue and grey screen telling me something was messed up, leading me into the terminal.

So, considering I was left with a brick of a computer, I decided to install 6.10 from scratch.

(an hour later)
    The 32 bit LiveCD hard-locked after about a minute

Alright, so I'll try the 64 bit version ...

(an hour later)
    The LiveCDs had no support for mapper installations via the GUI (I had a dmraid array in 6.06.1 and I installed mainly with the gui)

Ok ... I'll live without my RAID ...
    --So, I installed a non-raid 64 bit version because that was my only option

First things are first ... booting up ...
    The boot splash was grey-scale. Not a big deal, I can live with it.

Once into gnome ... alright .. everything is working ... until ...
    In about 2 minute intervals I would not be able to use my input devices in different ways:
    case 1:
    I could move the mouse, but the buttons did not do anything
    The keyboard did nothing to applications
    To fix, I could press alt-tab or ctrl-alt-bksp or, oddly enough, click the clock/calendar in the top-right
    case 2:
    Same as above, but only fixed by manually restarting gnome w/ ctrl-alt-f1

Ok ... ok, this is going to be annoying, but at least I have a computer ...

After about 30 minutes, the computer would completely freeze. I can tell because the Gnome widgets stop updating (like the clock).

Just for reference (because I'm sure someone is going to ask), my comp's specs:
    2.6 GHZ Pentium D
    1 GB ram
    X200 chipset
    Geforce 7600 GT

Looking at a poll in the forums, it seems like about three quarters of the people who have installed edgy have had some kind of problem, and at least half have had a serious problem. This OS is definitely not release quality, and I definitely won't be sticking with Ubuntu if a trend like this continues in its releases. For the time being, I won't be recommending it either.

I'm now going to experiment with some other distros, just so I know whats out there. If I don't find any that especially stand out, I'll be installing 6.06 again. That would be quite a disappointment though, considering I'll have to reinstall everything and get it back to the way I like it -- for absolutely no reason, and with an incredibly buggy "upgrade" to blame.

I hope this stirs up some attention, as Ubuntu definitely needs some change.

Beans

Re: Edgy shouldn't have been released

Wow, sounds like you had some really bad luck with edgy. Edgy works fine for me, i guess it just depends on the hardware, i built mine 100% linux compatible from the start. Hopefully feisty will be alot better than edgy, just got to be patient. Since your going to try other distro's put PClinuxOS ( http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dis...h=all&year=all ) on that list it's dirt simple and has 3 versions to choose, i have grandma using minime on the laptop. Anyways good luck to you.

Beans

Did you eliminate all reasons for these problems, such as a bad iso or a bad burn, your problems sound to me that they are xserver related, I have experienced keyboard, graphic and mouse problems with many distros that I have tested, some just needed a xorg or xfree86 reconfigure, others just needed the iso to be burnt at X4 or X8.

Only suggestions by the way. with these sort of problems I would normally (in the past) do a basic "server" install and then apt-get/aptitude the xserver and the DM after. I know it shouldn't be necessary to do it this way, but it did work.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Edgy messed up my video, but at this point I've wrestled with xorg.conf many many times in the past. Actually, every distro I've ever tried screws up my video (including Dapper), so I don't think I'd be using Linux if that kind of thing stopped me.

I'm very much looking forward to the improvements they plan to have in xserver.

I'm using a nVidia 7600 GT, here by the way.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

after an initial bumpy ride (mainly sound problems) and some dependency hell in synaptic, edgy isn't too bad.

Beans

I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a terrible experience with edgy. Personally I think edgy works much better that dapper and everything else, with the exception of OO.o-fonts.

How is any of that supposed to happen with this quality of a release? A release is supposed to be stable, 6.10 is not even close.
    Edgy was supposed to be a cutting edge version where lots of things were expected to break, this was decided even before development began. For a stable distro dapper is the way to go. And if you want even more stable, try debian etch.

Looking at a poll in the forums, it seems like about three quarters of the people who have installed edgy have had some kind of problem, and at least half have had a serious problem.
    Isn't this expected? I mean, people do come to these forums to get help with various problems.

I'm now going to experiment with some other distros, just so I know whats out there. If I don't find any that especially stand out, I'll be installing 6.06 again. That would be quite a disappointment though, considering I'll have to reinstall everything and get it back to the way I like it -- for absolutely no reason, and with an incredibly buggy "upgrade" to blame.
    Like I said, you should try debian etch, maybe even the latest Fedora and openSuse. All of them are great IMO. I recommend you create a separate /home partition, if you haven't already. That way you can keep all your settings and documents when switching between distros and versions.

All I can say is that with 6.06, my install, even with dmraid, Just Works. The only nitty-gritty things I had to do were minor and optional.

With 6.10, much less than that could be said. -- To get the system even fully functional will take hours of research and screwing with stuff, probably with a couple more reinstalls yet because I'd have messed something up. I have no clue where to even start looking for solutions, and I don't really want to. I'd much rather have a working computer sans some new things.

Beans

Cool Re: Edgy shouldn't have been released

Weird thread title man...

Beans

I had no problem with edgy, I'm sorry you had. It is a safe thing to remove all apps installed by deb files or external repositories before upgrading, and then reinstalling them. Consider doing this in the next upgrade, maybe you'll be more lucky.

You realize that the fact that 3/4 of the people voting in that poll say they had problems with edgy doens't absolutely mean that 3/4 of the people had problems with edgy, do you? I mean, of course if you have a problem you go on the forum and try to solve, and as soon as you see such a poll you want to vote there.
    Please, feel free to correct my english, so that I can improve it.

Click here to join Dropbox. Both you and I get free extra space.

Quote Originally Posted by allix View Post
    Like I said, you should try debian etch, maybe even the latest Fedora and openSuse. All of them are great IMO. I recommend you create a separate /home partition, if you haven't already. That way you can keep all your settings and documents when switching between distros and versions.
    I think you are right in that there are many better solutions for me. -- But I simply want to point out this website:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

states:
    "Ubuntu is a free, open source Linux-based operating system that ... [adds] a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) ..."

Given that, it would be ironic to move elsewhere for a lack of something that is a focus of Ubuntu.

Edit:
    And yes, I realized that the group of people who would vote on that poll would not include many users who didn't have problems.

That being said, there are more than a thousand votes on it, and for an OS that couldn't have more than tens of thousands users, that is still pretty aweful.
    Last edited by curvedinfinity; January 19th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast