Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

I installed a Samsung SXC-4600 today and both the printer and scanner worked perfectly.

I setup the repository and installed the samsungmfp-driver, samsungmfp-data and samsungmfp-scanner packages, plugges in the printer and everything worked.THank you so much!

Beans

Samsung ML-2510 won't print in 10.04. This printer isn't even listed in the database.

Edit: I googled and decided the easiest option here is to use the splix drivers. I went to the splix website to compare the most recent driver with what is in the repository. Fortunately, the splix driver is available and is up to date, ver. 2.0. So, I installed the driver via Synaptic. Then, I went back to the printer settings until I got it to show the ML-2510 printer as available using the splix driver. 'Installed that and printed out a test page. Whew...

In case anyone is having trouble with this printer and driver (and wonders what to use).
    Last edited by SeePU; October 6th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi Tweedle..
    Just want to thank you for the great work. Went to your Unified Driver repository and followed your instructions..... and it worked! I have a Samsung ML 1665 (that lil' laser), connected via USB and running Ubuntu 10.04 on an old Dell box.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Angry Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Any experience with Ubuntu 10.4 running on a AMD64 computer driving Samsung CLX-2160?

Beans

Hi everyone,
    I installed today the new 10.10. So far it looks nice I have Samsung SCX-4100(USB device with laser printer and scanner). And the printer just works without installing anything. But.... ... but the scanner don't. Xsane reports that it can't find device. Any ideas how to make it work ? It will be nice if I don't need to install the Samsung unified driver.
    Thanks in advance !.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello all,

I've upgraded to 10.10, and now trying to install the drivers for my Samsung printer (ML-2525 model) to get it to work, using the repository install instructions given on the first page of the thread. However, after entering the repository URL into Synaptic and refreshing it, I get this error message from Synaptic:

Failed to fetch http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/dists/debian/Release
    Unable to find expected entry extra/source/Sources in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    I've checked the spelling/instructions, but same results. Also tried installing generic Postscript drivers, as well as the ones for the more-documented ML-2510 and -2550 models, but no luck; it'll only work with 2525's driver.

Any suggestions? (Yes, there's downloading the driver from Samsung itself, but I don't want to install the accompanying Samsung-customized junk with it, just the driver).

Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to fix some mess under Lucid and Maverik

It didn't worked at first attempt: no printout, no error message.
    Printing the test page from the system settings did work indeed.
    By command line I could get this error:
    Code:
    ~  lpr anyfile.pdf 
    lpr: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    The bug has been already filed at Launchpad (but none seems paying attention to it).
    The workaround for me was:
    Code:
    # ln -s /lib/libpng12.so.0 /lib/libpng.so.3
    # ls -l /lib/*png*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 2010-10-18 08:15 libpng.so.3 -> /lib/libpng12.so.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 2010-10-14 09:18 libpng12.so.0 -> libpng12.so.0.44.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 158736 2010-06-29 13:30 libpng12.so.0.44.0
    Then I did the test again:
    Code:
    ~  lpr anyfile.pdf 
    Package `cupsys-common' is not available.
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
    WARNING: configuration file not found
    (12005) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-enzo/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
    (12005) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
    (12005) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
    (12005) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 9203712 bytes available out of 10485760
    ProcessEx::execute: </usr/bin/lpr.orig|-#|1|-P|SCX-4623-Series|-h|-o|auth-info-required=none device-uri=usb://Samsung/SCX-4623%20Series finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 marker-change-time=0 number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info=Samsung SCX-4623 Series printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location=uqbar printer-make-and-model=Samsung SCX-4623 Series printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1287382072 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8523844 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/SCX-4623-Series scaling=100|anyfile.pdf>
    ProcessEx::execute: failed to launch
    So there seems to be two more issues (marked WITH bold).
    I tried to fix the first one:
    Code:
    # apt-get install cupsys-common
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package cupsys-common
    No way, then. It was reported as a warning so I tried just to skip it.
    Then I went to the second issue:
    Code:
    # sudo find / -name lpr\*
    /var/log/lpr.log.1
    /var/log/lpr.log
    /usr/bin/lpr
    /usr/bin/lprm
    /usr/local/bin/lpr
    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/lprof.desktop
    /usr/share/app-install/icons/lprof.png
    /usr/share/doc/pnm2ppa/examples/sample_scripts/lprbw
    /usr/share/doc/pnm2ppa/examples/sample_scripts/lprcolor
    /usr/share/doc/pnm2ppa/examples/sample_scripts/lpreco
    /usr/share/man/man1/lpr.1.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/lprm.1.gz
    /usr/share/vim/vim72/syntax/lprolog.vim
    /usr/share/vim/vim72/ftplugin/lprolog.vim
    Let's try a quick workaround first.
    Code:
    # ln -s /usr/bin/lpr /usr/bin/lpr.orig
    # lpr anyfile.pdf 
    Package `cupsys-common' is not available.
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
    WARNING: configuration file not found
    (12042) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache "/var/tmp/kdecache-enzo/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
    (12042) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache, determining if it must be initialized
    (12042) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized -- attached to memory mapping
    (12042) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 9203712 bytes available out of 10485760
    ProcessEx::execute: </usr/bin/lpr.orig|-#|1|-P|SCX-4623-Series|-h|-o|auth-info-required=none device-uri=usb://Samsung/SCX-4623%20Series finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 marker-change-time=0 number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info=Samsung SCX-4623 Series printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-location=uqbar printer-make-and-model=Samsung SCX-4623 Series printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1287382072 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8523844 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost:631/printers/SCX-4623-Series scaling=100|anyfile.pdf>
    The print came out of my marvelous printer smoothly as expected.
    I would say: that's it.
    It would be indeed nicer if someone at the MOTU would make something to fix the first issue. The second one (the missing lpr.orig) I think is up to the Samsung Unified Printer Driver maintainer.
    Sent as ripples into the electromagnetic field.
    No single photon has been harmed in the process.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    I'm completely swamped at work and don't have time to deal with this properly now. However, I did download the beta driver and at least looked at the file structure, and it looks essentially unchanged. Since they are still packing libstdc++5 and some other old libraries, I can't imagine they've updated enough of the core to begin to address the issue here, which is that the Samsung driver seems to be relying on fundamental linux libraries that were old years ago, and simply no longer reflect a modern linux distribution. I've no idea what system Samsung is using for development and testing, but it needs an update. Not even Red Hat enterprise, which makes Debian releases look speedy, has shipped that library in years.
    It seem's that the question is about the static linking to the glibc.

An answer to a bug report on the debian bug tracker explain what is the cause of the problem:
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugre...?bug=589143#10

i've reported this to a bug filled in launchpad about netdiscovery: relocation error & segfault - Bug #576531

i'm not a C programmer, so i don't know if we could managed the proposed options without Samsung's source code.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymke View Post
    However, after entering the repository URL into Synaptic and refreshing it, I get this error message from Synaptic:
    It sounds like you may have entered the repository as a source repository rather than binary, or as both source and binary. It is configured to work only as a binary repository.

Beans

Re: How to fix some mess under Lucid and Maverik

Quote Originally Posted by uqbar View Post
    It didn't worked at first attempt: no printout, no error message.
    I'm assuming you meant this errors arose using the installer from Samsung, which is known to have these (and many other) problems. The repository files should not cause those problems. If you were using repository files, let me know and I'll look into it.

Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast