Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sean View Post
    Ok, so I've updated my system (12.04)

How do I create this file and where do I put it?

I get garbage from LibreOffice Writer. Now I read the following posts and worry that I have to start over
    In a terminal: sudo apt-get install samsungmfp-driver-pdf-fix

(And if it doesn't help: the same except "remove" instead of "install".)

You can also try the two steps I recommended in my previous post.

Beans

Angry Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

If you have NEW problems due to the updates
    I have upgraded and my scanning has stopped working. How do I downgrade?

Why are the older files not on the repository? Where do I get a copy of the older files?

Printer model: Samsung CLX-3185FW
    Connection: by Ethernet cable
    Distribution: Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
    Driver packages: samsungmfp-... v4.00.35-1. The ... is: -driver-4.00.35, -common, -driver, -data, -scanner, -configurator-data, -configurator-qt4, -network.
    History:
    • Installed the binary from Samsung on 15-Apr-2012.
    • Realised what a mistake that was, and uninstalled using the instructions on the SULDR website
    • 22 April 2012: Installed these packages: -data, -driver, -scanner, -configurator-qt4, and dependencies, from the SULDR repositories. And made related changes, such as reinstall cups-bsd, ufw allow proto udp from <IPv4 printer-ip>, add all human users to 'lp'.
    • Printing and scanning works.
    • Did an auto upgrade about two days ago.

Specific problem:
    The window containing the scanned image does not come up when scanning has finished.

I choose Applications -> System Tools -> Samsung Unified Driver Configurator, press the Scanner button, press Properties, and put the document on the flatbed. Preview works, but when I scan ... the device scans and beeps, and the Scanning Properties window shows progress, then indicates finished, but the window that should come up with the scanned image never comes up.
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    Actions speak louder than words. Screaming is an action.
    -oOo-

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by nick4mony View Post
    I have upgraded and my scanning has stopped working. How do I downgrade?

Why are the older files not on the repository? Where do I get a copy of the older files?
    Install samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90. All relevant old driver versions are available, and if you manually select a version (as opposed to the general -driver package), future updates will not change that version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hi all,

Here's how I could get my new Samsung ML-2165W (part of the ML-2160 family) to be discoverable as a wireless printer in Linux:

1) Installed the printer from Windows via USB, that way I could easily configure the wireless interface from the printer.

2) The printer is not discovered by System>Printing. To solve this, after tinkering a while, here's what I could do to solve it:

2a) Installed the Samsung unified printing driver as per the start of this thread. Note: I did this mostly via Synaptic, as I prefer the GUI.
    I installed the following packages via Synaptic: The different samsungmfp files v4.00 35-1, including the samsungmfp-driver 4.00.35

2b) As it still didn't work, went back to Windows, checked the properties of the printerand found it's URL, something like SEC0015.....lan. Noted this name.

2c) Back in Linux, opened system>printing, clicked on add printer, then selected AppSocket/HP Jet DIrect, copied in the name above i.e. SEC0015....lan, left the port at 9100, and it installed beautifully.

I still need to check how I can get the printer to report toner levels via Linux.

Hope this helps

Rgds

Philip

Beans

Unhappy Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    Install samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90.
    Update 1: It didn't work. Another post below

Thanks. I'll give that a go tonight in about 6 hours.

Perhaps a faq ("The latest upgrade broke my system!") should be put in http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/questions.html , although the 3rd bullet point of "Selecting Packages to Install" might have helped, but I found it a bit unclear.

Also, would leaving the (older) samsungmfp-driver_3.00.90-1_all.deb at http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/ possibly help? In Ubuntu 10.04's synaptic, there is a Force Version menu item, but in this particular case it was greyed out, and I suspect that leaving that file there would enable that and give choices according to the first star of samsungmfp-driver_*_*.deb

Finally, it seems we have yet another excuse to have a go at Samsung
    Last edited by nick4mony; June 4th, 2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Now I've tried procedure, doesn't work.
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    -oOo-

Beans

Unhappy Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

Install samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90. All relevant old driver versions are available
    I've tried these things:
    • I removed samsungmfp-driver, and installed samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90. The system implicitly removed samsungmfp-driver-4.00.35.
    • Tried scanning, same symptom. Rebooted and retried.
    • Removed all samsungmfp-... packages and rebooted, then
    • installed samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90, -data -scanner -configurator-qt4 and dependencies ( -common -configurator-data -network )
    • Tried scanning, same symptom. Rebooted and retried.

Question ...
    When I installed the various packages on 22-23 April 2012, the versions of all packages installed were 3.00.90-2. But now, the versions of all those packages are 4.00.35. How do I get all the other 3.00.90 files back?

To be exact,
    samsungmfp-configurator-data (3.00.90-2)
    samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 (3.00.90-2)
    samsungmfp-data (3.00.90-2)
    samsungmfp-driver (3.00.90-2)
    samsungmfp-network (3.00.90-2)
    samsungmfp-scanner (3.00.90-2)
    + dependencies, before.

But now
    samsungmfp-common (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-configurator-data (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-configurator-qt4 (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-data (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-driver-3.00.90 (3.00.90-3)
    samsungmfp-network (4.00.35-1)
    samsungmfp-scanner (4.00.35-1)

and there's more: when I run up the Unified Driver Configurator, and press on About, it comes up with
    Common 4.00.35
    Printer 4.00.25
    Scanner 4.00.14
    Copyright (C) 2001

and when I look inside the repository, there's hardly any 3.00.90 version files. But I did see these:
    samsungmfp-netdiscovery_3.00.90-3_all.deb
    samsungmfp-netdiscovery-oldlibc_3.00.90-3_all.deb

Should I use these files?

I do scratch my head about that copyright date ....? Anyway, how do I get the old version files?
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    -oOo-

Beans

Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

Perhaps a faq ("The latest upgrade broke my system!") should be put in http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/questions.html , although the 3rd bullet point of "Selecting Packages to Install" might have helped, but I found it a bit unclear.
    I plan to provide a little more clarification on this issue, but there are some aspects of it (not generally worth getting into publicly) that I need to deal with first. Suffice to say that although it may be somewhat confusing, it's less confusing than it used to be.

Also, would leaving the (older) samsungmfp-driver_3.00.90-1_all.deb at http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/pool/debian/extra/s/ possibly help? In Ubuntu 10.04's synaptic, there is a Force Version menu item, but in this particular case it was greyed out, and I suspect that leaving that file there would enable that and give choices according to the first star of samsungmfp-driver_*_*.deb
    Actually, no. When I first set up the repository, I tried to make that work, and the gist of it is that it adds a huge administrative headache, confuses far more people than it benefits, and can lead to problems with mixed installations with different package versions. As it is currently configured, if you pick a specific version, it will keep that one for you, and that seems to work for nearly everyone. Relatively few people chose a prior version, I'm not clear on what causes some people to need to and that means coming up with a perfect solution is tough.

When I installed the various packages on 22-23 April 2012, the versions of all packages installed were 3.00.90-2. But now, the versions of all those packages are 4.00.35. How do I get all the other 3.00.90 files back?
    I'm guessing the only one that matters is the -network package; most of the changes associated with the versions have nothing to do with the scanning. However, I have placed these files in www.bchemnet.com/suldr/temp/, and you can download them and install. (Both architectures are present, use whichever you need.)

I would be interested in the results of force-installing just the old -network package and changing nothing else; you'll get a "broken package" warning about the -driver-3.00.90 package, but it won't actually affect anything (the only difference between the 3.00.90-2 and 3.00.90-3 driver packages is the dependencies and relationship to other packages, all the binary bits are exactly the same). That network piece is the only component that seems at all likely to account for your situation. To do this, "sudo dpkg -i --force samsungmfp-network.deb" in the folder containing the .deb file. Or equivalently to force-installing, extracting the netdiscovery file from the old package and dropping it into /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/ in place of the newer file would work as a test (and has the advantage that if it does solve your problem, you don't have to mess with any other packages).

However, if changing that single package doesn't help, uninstall all the samsungmfp packages, put all the packages you want installed into a single folder (without any other .debs, anything else is okay), then "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" in a terminal when inside that folder; that will restore all the 3.00.90-2 versions.

and there's more: when I run up the Unified Driver Configurator, and press on About, it comes up with
    Common 4.00.35
    Printer 4.00.25
    Scanner 4.00.14
    Copyright (C) 2001
    I have no idea how Samsung decides to version things. Just ignore those. Another bit I'm planning to add to my webpage is an attempt to explain their versioning scheme and choice of copyright dates, but "random" is probably as good an explanation as any.

What all those different versions does indicate is what I'm dealing with when I put together a "version" of the driver on the repository. It's not just one thing, and that's part of the reason that some people claim great success when downloading "a version" direct from Samsung and other people don't - even when labeled exactly the same, the parts inside are not. For simplicity, I track the "common" version in the package numbers, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that anything that self-reports that version is in a particular package.

and when I look inside the repository, there's hardly any 3.00.90 version files. But I did see these:
    samsungmfp-netdiscovery_3.00.90-3_all.deb
    samsungmfp-netdiscovery-oldlibc_3.00.90-3_all.deb

Should I use these files?
    No, they are just there for historical reasons and contain no files.

Let me know what works so that I can put together a real fix.
    Last edited by tweedledee; June 4th, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by pschalkx View Post
    I still need to check how I can get the printer to report toner levels via Linux.
    You may need to set up the printer as IPP or LPD for that to work, or it may just not work at all - results vary.

Beans

Post Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

I would be interested in the results of force-installing just the old -network package and changing nothing else ... Or equivalently to force-installing, extracting the netdiscovery file from the old package and dropping it into /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/ in place of the newer file
    Yes, I'll try that, but a question:
    Be advised that I only have a short window before I may be unavailable for an extended period, so post quickly if you have problems.
    When is this? If it's close I'll do it tonight (in about 11 hours), otherwise I'll take a rest (going into the city tonight - it's an LUV talk for those in Melbourne) and have a crack at it tomorrow night (in 33 hours).

Nick.
    Nick Bishop
    -----
    email replies ignored
    -----
    -oOo-

Beans

Re: Upgrade breaks scanning CLX-3185FW, Ubuntu Lucid

Yes, I'll try that, but a question:

When is this? If it's close I'll do it tonight (in about 11 hours), otherwise I'll take a rest (going into the city tonight - it's an LUV talk for those in Melbourne) and have a crack at it tomorrow night (in 33 hours).

Nick.
    It was a false alarm. I expect to be able to reply promptly (within a day or so) for the near future.

Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast