Page 93 of 104 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by b1b1 View Post
    I had the same problem with my SCX-4825FN with Ubuntu Precise, CUPS-1.5.2 and every version of the Samsung drivers I tried.

I fixed it by downloading CUPS-1.5.0 from source, installing it then re-pointing /usr/sbin/cupsd to point to the new binary.

After this the latest driver (3.00.90) works.
    Nice to know there is a solution. This sounds just too complicated to me..
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uhappo View Post
    Nice to know there is a solution. This sounds just too complicated to me..
    Well, you could install Ubuntu Oneiric instead, as this uses CUPS-1.5.0. But if you feel like having a crack at installing CUPS-1.5.0 on Precise, and you've already got CUPS and the 3.00.90 Samsung driver installed, you can download CUPS-1.5.0 from http://www.cups.org/software.php and then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -y build-dep cups
    tar xjvf cups-1.5.0-source.tar.bz2
    cd cups-1.5.0
    ./configure --prefix=/opt/cups-1.5.0
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo service cups stop
    sudo mv /usr/sbin/cupsd /usr/sbin/cupsd.orig
    sudo ln -s /opt/cups-1.5.0/sbin/cupsd /usr/sbin/cupsd
    sudo cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl /opt/cups-1.5.0/lib/cups/filter/
    sudo service cups start
    Then you can browse to localhost:631 and install the .ppd file from /usr/share/cups/model.
    Last edited by b1b1; May 5th, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Beans

Code:
    cd cups-1.5.0
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo service cups stop
    sudo cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungspl /opt/cups-1.5.0/lib/cups/filter/
    sudo service cups start
    Then you can browse to localhost:631 and install the .ppd file from /usr/share/cups/model.
    This seems to have worked for me.

Thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, you could install Ubuntu Oneiric instead, as this uses CUPS-1.5.0. But if you feel like having a crack at installing CUPS-1.5.0 on Precise, and you've already got CUPS and the 3.00.90 Samsung driver installed, you can download CUPS-1.5.0 from http://www.cups.org/software.php and then:

Code:
    cd cups-1.5.0
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo service cups stop
    sudo service cups start
    Thanks for info! Installing 11.04 or 11.10 is a no go for me, my system froze occasionally with those, 12.04 has been stable.
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreidus View Post
    This seems to have worked for me.

Thanks very much
    Well, it has allowed me to print the test page from the CUPS web page and print from other machines on the network to my CUPS server. However I'm still having problems printing locally ie. from the machine itself to its own CUPS daemon. Printing PDFs from evince causes crazy symbols etc., which can only be fixed by using lpr:

Code:
    lpr something.pdf
    I think there's something else weird going on with Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by b1b1; May 6th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hello to all. (this is my first post on ubuntuforums - I've just registered)

I hope this is the right place to post the following problem. If I'm wrong, I hope my excuses will be accepted.

I have a Samsung SCX-4623 connected through USB to a computer (running Ubuntu 10.04.4) that doesn't print any PDF-1.5 files I really need to print.

The return of "dpkg -l | grep samsung" is below :

ii samsungmfp-data 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (data)
    ii samsungmfp-driver 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (drivers)
    ii samsungmfp-network 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (network
    ii samsungmfp-scanner 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (enable scannin

The content of the file /etc/cups/printers.conf is:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.3
    # Written by cupsd
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
    <DefaultPrinter Samsung-SCX-4623>
    Info Samsung SCX-4623
    Location casierie Crasna
    MakeModel Samsung SCX-4623 Series
    DeviceURI usb://Samsung/SCX-4623%20Series
    State Idle
    StateTime 1336482836
    Type 8392772
    Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
    Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 rastertosamsungspl
    Accepting Yes
    Shared Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy retry-job
    Option orientation-requested 3
    </Printer>

Thank you in advance for any help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yetisaurus Akjas View Post
    I have a Samsung SCX-4623 connected through USB to a computer (running Ubuntu 10.04.4) that doesn't print any PDF-1.5 files I really need to print.
    This could be a lot of different things.

If you can print the same files to a different printer from the same computer connected the same way (which I realize you may or may not be able to test), then it is the Samsung driver at fault. Try the 3.00.65 driver package.

If you can print non-PDF files fine but not any PDF, or some PDF files but not specific ones, it could be the Samsung driver but probably isn't - but try the solution above anyway because it is simpler than the alternatives.

Also try setting up the printer as a new printer, occasionally that clears out bizarre errors.

Most likely, though, it is a CUPS or ghostscript problem. There are a LOT of bug reports open for both (on Debian, Ubuntu, all other distributions) regarding failure to print specific PDF files, and they tend to not be resolved because they are highly specific to certain combinations of printers, CUPS, and distributions. Sometimes they go away with a CUPS or ghostscript upgrade, sometimes not. Sometimes it is only true for specific printers, or methods of connecting the printers. In a few cases it seems to be related to using specific locales (but not any English-based ones that I know of). Sometimes it can be worked around by printing the pdf to a postscript file, then sending the postscript file to the printer.

If changing the Samsung driver doesn't help, and you have some time and interest, I would suggest getting a live CD of a more recent Ubuntu version (or any other distribution with a live CD), boot into it, configure the printer (using the repository), and see if you can print the problematic files. If you can, then your only real fix will be to upgrade. If you still can't, and you've tried some of the other suggestions, I may be able to at least help you narrow it down a little and determine if you should file a bug report.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an ML2525 on USB.

It was working fine under the Unified Driver installed from the SAMSUNG website under 10.04

Did fresh install of 12.04. Before trying to do anything, I installed driver as per 1st page of this thread. Then "added printer", using appropriate foo driver. Don't know if this was necessary.

Printer worked ok for one print, then following prints just go to thin air. Can see the job on the print list, which disappears after a while, but no output and no error messages. Restarting machine allows me to print one time again.

Any ideas? TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't know if it's relevant, but the User listed in the print queue is 'Unknown'.

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrith View Post
    Don't know if it's relevant, but the User listed in the print queue is 'Unknown'.

Cheers.
    Hi all

I am using a Samsung CLX-3185FN and UBUNTU 12.04 LTS. The printer is connected on my Lan. Printing over the network works fine, but UBUNTU is not able to find the Scanner on the network.
    I have XSane installed as well.

With "dpkg -l | grep samsung" I get:
    ii samsungmfp-configurator-data 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (data)
    ii samsungmfp-data 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (data)
    rc samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (drivers)
    rc samsungmfp-driver-legacy 3.00.37-8 Samsung Unified Linux Driver (legacy drivers)
    ii samsungmfp-netdiscovery 3.00.90-2 transitional package for samsungmfp-network
    ii samsungmfp-netdiscovery-oldlibc 3.00.90-2 transitional package for samsungmfp-network
    ii samsungmfp-network 3.00.90-2 Samsung Unified Driver Configurator (network connectivity)

Does anybody has an idea how to fix this?

Thanks for your help.

Page 93 of 104 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast