Page 80 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    If you are getting the same errors with the Foomatic driver, then the issue is not with the Samsung driver or packages. You might want to try re-installing CUPS and/or the various foo* packages to see if something has been corrupted.
    Ah, didn't see this comment before making my edit.
    Anyhow, yeah, it was CUPS. Reinstalled it, and everything's working fine now. (... well, almost. But images printing as gibberish is a problem for another day.)

Thanks for the help.

Beans

Please post the output file from:
    Code:
    strace ./netdiscovery --all --scanner > ~/strace-out.txt
    The other thing you can try is to create an /opt/smpf-common/lib64 folder and cp /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.10.* into it, then try netdiscovery again. (This assumes you are not using any of the other work-arounds at present.)
    I uninstall all related packages to samsung (suldr) nor cups and libs too. Then reboot and reinstall.
    test -> same
    create /opt/smpf-common/lib64 and cp /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.10.*
    test -> same

~/strace-out.txt only contain:
    # Network printers discovery utility
    # Legend: ip: address slp: detected,ipp,lpr,raw_tcp snmp: detected,devtype,description
    # Total 0 scanners found, 5s elapsed

I also have a copy of the terminal but it's 240Kb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hdel View Post
    I also have a copy of the terminal but it's 240Kb
    That's what I actually need to see if you can upload it as a file. I always forget that strace output needs "2>" not ">" for the useful bits.

Beans

That's what I actually need to see if you can upload it as a file. I always forget that strace output needs "2>" not ">" for the useful bits.
    The >> only add new trace at the end of existant strace-out.txt.

Here a link I upload : http://dl.free.fr/l8lwHMk43

When I reinstall all related packages it claims that kernel haven't multicast build-in; perhaps?

Thank's

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hdel View Post
    The >> only add new trace at the end of existant strace-out.txt.

Here a link I upload : http://dl.free.fr/l8lwHMk43

When I reinstall all related packages it claims that kernel haven't multicast build-in; perhaps?

Thank's
    I actually meant a literal "2>" not ">>" - the "2" means stderr instead of stdout, because the strace output goes through the error output rather than the normal user output.

However, I don't see anything obvious in the strace. I don't think multicast support is the issue, but some setting that results in dropping UDP packets (and therefore is possibly related) could well be the issue. What I'm not sure about is why you would be using a Debian kernel that could cause these problems but I (and others) don't see them. Perhaps you have a strange firewall rule, something odd in syscntl.conf, or some other system setting interfering with UDP? Or maybe a router setting has changed?

I won't have time to look at this more for a week, but please post if you learn anything more and I'll work on it when I can if it hasn't been resolved.

Beans

I
    What I'm not sure about is why you would be using a Debian kernel that could cause these problems but I (and others) don't see them. Perhaps you have a strange firewall rule, something odd in syscntl.conf, or some other system setting interfering with UDP? Or maybe a router setting has changed?

I won't have time to look at this more for a week, but please post if you learn anything more and I'll work on it when I can if it hasn't been resolved.
    The 2.6.32 kernel have errors with xorg-nouveau and falback with fbdev one, so try 2.6.38.xx and 2.6.39.xx and at least 3.1-rc7 and the same.

You graciously help me, I'll can't complain because your full for a week or a month.
    At the moment I use an attached guillemot scsi scanner as a workaround.

I had put a network cross cable directly between my computer and the printer (CLX-3175N french one) and «strace ./netdiscovery --all 2> output.txt» give the same thing and no scanner found!
    Last edited by hdel; October 6th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Beans

Hi, I have just bought and installed CLX-3185FW printer. I installed drivers using guide in the firtst post (samsungmfp-data, driver and scanner).

During adding a network printer I have written printer IP in the Host field (I have set printer IP on another comp with win) and it showed up three printers: CLX-3185 IPP via DNS-SD, CLX-3185 LPD via DNS-SD and JetDirect. I understand that IPP and LPD are protocols, but what's the diference, which one should I use?
    I have tried to use IPP and so far it worked (well, test page worked to be exact, I haven't printed anything else since I'm not at home. I will try scanning next weekend. ). And also what is JetDirect? Does it have something to do with ad-hoc mode?
    I am connecting my printer through WiFi router with Static IP.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04LTS

And one last question - What's the difference between Driver and Driver-legacy?
    Thanks guys.

Beans

Do you mean the line that begins with "deb"? If so, that is not supposed to be executed as a command, you need to edit the sources.list file and add that line to the file.
    Yeah I thought I did that? Unless I have to go right into the source file and add the line right in it? But I thought that was done in synaptic- repository? PS thanks for walking me through it, my folks will be stoked once they get their scanner working heh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans9 View Post

I understand that IPP and LPD are protocols, but what's the diference, which one should I use?
    And also what is JetDirect? Does it have something to do with ad-hoc mode?

Thanks guys.
    LPD is a daemon formaly you print in LPR mode that is the «historical» way to print from sixties.
    IPP is more recent way, but for these two (if my memory is good) you send your jobs in a queue so you can administr the rights for printing, suspend...
    You can use one or other, the only difference I had seen was the speed the job gone on the printer on great networks (more often LPR speedy than IPP)

JetDirect
    Not sure but seem to be the same than «direct» for printer/copieur, the job is printed directly, bypassing the queues without waiting and directly (must be) after the job that actualy print out.

Beans

Hello,

Running debian I had trouble to find the scanner of a CLX-3185FW via ethernet.
    Pressing the scanner button of the "Samsung Unified Printer Configurator"
    didn't show anything.
    Digging around I've found the following issue:
    /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery --all --scanner
    responds with
    # Legend: ip: address slp: detected,ipp,lpr,raw_tcp snmp: detected,devtype,description
    # Total 0 scanners found, 5s elapsed

Running strace revealed the program executes itself several times with varying
    command lines to try different strategies to discover devices.
    One of them is
    /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/netdiscovery -s --snmp
    and this one responds with
    # Mode snmp
    # ERROR: snmp_send failed, Network is unreachable
    # Total 0 printers found, 0s elapsed

Using strace on this revealed a
    udp sendmsg()
    call to
    port 161 (snmp) and ip-addr 255.255.255.255
    and linux responds with
    ENETUNREACH (Network is unreachable)

I guess, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 is a bit too much,
    and seems to be disallowed.

The following work around is possible though:
    route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth0

With this