Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Anyone get the control panel to work on a network installed Samsung printer? I have teh CLP-300N connected network only. I would LOVE to be able to see ink levels without having to run XP in a VM.

WinXP can see ink levels on this printer when connected network only. I can't get it working on ubuntu. It would even be cool if they just had ink levels showing on the printer setup pages available with a browser, but not there either.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

Ink levels? Now you're asking for too much
    Did you get it working otherwise?

I've just upgraded my Ubuntu to 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, and have setup my FujiXerox with the Samsung driver. The setup procedure is similar, but you need to do two more things to make it work:

(1) Before or after the installation, you need to disable the AppArmor CUPS protection to be able to access the printer. Do it with:
    $ sudo aa-complain cupsd

(2) If the new automatic USB printer detection messes up the things... You may want to remove the package for USB printer detection with
    $ sudo apt-get remove hal-cups-utils

Hope it helps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roxy99 View Post
    Ink levels? Now you're asking for too much
    Did you get it working otherwise?
    Get what working? The printer or the SmartPanel?
    I can not get the SmartPanel to work at all on linux with a printer connected only to the network. I will not hook up via USB as last time I did that, the printer backfed power through the USB port and took out my motherboard. So I'm a little leary.

In a fresh Gutsy install, I did not need the unified driver. Gutsy found the printer on the network and used the foo2-qpdl driver. This works fine for me as the clp-300N is not an all-in-one. It's just a color laser.

SmartPanel, however is not "smart" enough to deal with the network-connected printer in linux. Works fine in WinXP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reiki View Post
    Get what working? The printer or the SmartPanel?
    I can not get the SmartPanel to work at all on linux with a printer connected only to the network. I will not hook up via USB as last time I did that, the printer backfed power through the USB port and took out my motherboard. So I'm a little leary.

In a fresh Gutsy install, I did not need the unified driver. Gutsy found the printer on the network and used the foo2-qpdl driver. This works fine for me as the clp-300N is not an all-in-one. It's just a color laser.

SmartPanel, however is not "smart" enough to deal with the network-connected printer in linux. Works fine in WinXP.
    Thats interesting. So with Gusty the detection was plug&play? I wonder if its also plu&play cpnnecting the 4521 locally to usb. I may have to upgrate to Gusty. Did you just do a simple upgrade or did you wipe clean and reinstall the OS?

Beans

I did a clean install of Gutsy. The upgrade of Feisty didn't go smoothly for me although most everything works. It will still use the unified driver if you upgrade. On my system I generally install clean and as I get the fresh OS tweaked up the way I like it and get things installed, then I eventually format the old OS partition and use it for storage. As a new release gets closer, I clear the storage to an external, delete the partition and have room for the NEXT OS install.

Probably sounds like a pain but it's really easy and linux makes it even easier to have parallel installs. In many cases I can just copy stuff from my old /home folder to the new one... like... copy the .Mozilla folder over and *poof!* all of my bookmarks and cookies and crap come over to the new install. Same with thunderbird and many other things.

Beans

Thanks to those posting updates on Gutsy, I will add them to the main page as new information comes in. I won't be upgrading to Gutsy myself for a while (possibly a month or more), as I can't afford any hiccups in an upgrade right now and some of the known issues with Gutsy involve my hardware.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Thank You SO MUCH!!!!

I am new to Linux and you made it very understandable.

I just got a SCX-4725 networked, first time no probs, You ROCK!!

Your effort and time means a great deal to me!

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by reiki View Post
    I just got a Samsung CLP-300N and have it connected via network (it can connect either network or USB direct).

I downloaded the latest unified driver from Samsung's site :
    20070424145947906_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz

I extracted it and the ONLY thing I did was change the permission so I could edit it and changed that first line to bin/bash instead of bin/sh

Then I did sudo ./install.sh and away we went. GUI came up and printer installed perfectly.

Maybe teh new unified driver is fixed?
    Yes driver fixed now. No changes required - just run straight from download and works fine!

I've got the CLP-300 (USB only), on Dapper.

I downloaded: 20070720163657500_UnifiedLinuxDriver.tar.gz

Beans

Funny. I still had to do thos extra steps for the scanner to work.

Page 8 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast