Page 6 of 104 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

I have changed bin/sh to bin/bash but GUI installer still DOESN'T appear, and the guiinstaller.bin is not the last word
    Xubuntu 12.10 on Lenovo T520

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by netimen View Post
    I have changed bin/sh to bin/bash but GUI installer still DOESN'T appear, and the guiinstaller.bin is not the last word
    Which version of the driver, and do you get any error messages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I had to sudo as root.

then

./install.sh

The scanner & printer work fine,after I set the Samsung to slow USB.

BUT now the neither the Epson R220 or Samsung will print correctly as default. Unless you count both spitting out blank paper at the same time until they decide to stop! U have 2 select one, then every thing works fine.

Fiesty on ASUS A8V AMD 64 (939) USB set to auto
    Last edited by warpuck; August 8th, 2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tweedledee. I purchased a Samsung SCX-4725FN printer/scanner this weekend (on sale at Staples) specifically because it had built-in networking and was advertised as Linux ready.

I followed your entire instructions on my machine, but never had any problems so wasn't sure all the fuss about privileges was warranted.

Couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble with my daughter's machine installing first Crossover Office, then Microsoft Office. That is, until I resorted to uninstalling Crossover Office when it told me that it wouldn't remove /opt/ directory because it wasn't empty. Surprise - Samsung had installed in the /opt/ directory!

My bad! I hadn't bothered to fix the privileges in my daughter's machine. Not doing so cost me a few hours of grief.

Everything's good now, though. As soon as I fixed permissions as per your instructions, Crossover Office and Microsoft Office loaded and ran without further incident.

Funny, how much difference a little thing like permissions can make.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you, Tweedledee. You reversed a disaster for me. I think the Samsung SCX-4725FN is a great little printer for Linux now, but shudder to think how things would have gone had your instructions not been available to reverse the problems created by the Samsung unified driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by warpuck View Post
    BUT now the neither the Epson R220 or Samsung will print correctly as default. Unless you count both spitting out blank paper at the same time until they decide to stop! U have 2 select one, then every thing works fine.

Fiesty on ASUS A8V AMD 64 (939) USB set to auto
    I don't understand. Do you mean you had both printers working, and one day they just stopped? And do you mean they work as long as they aren't set to the default printer? Which Samsung are you using?

Beans

tweedledee,

New samsung unified driver as of Aug 10, 2007. I'm at work, but when I get home I will install it and see if they've addressed the security problems. I have been communicating our concerns to high level support via my Samsung rep. This may be a chance to see if it's doing any good

OK the new driver still screws up permissions and ownerships. Had to fix them all again.
    Last edited by reiki; August 16th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Thank you so much!

I have a Fuji Xerox WorkCentre PE220, which should be a clone of Samsung SCX-4521F. Luckily the Samsung unified driver recognizes it. No special hack is required.

I found an easier way to set the ownership. (http://www.vyvy.org/main/node/146) After untar & before running install.sh, I just do:
    $ cd cdroot/
    $ sudo chown -R root:root *

Beans

reiki, thanks for the tip. It appears to be exactly the same driver, only with the lines that set +s on various programs commented out in the install.sh file. I've made a note and updated my link.

vyvee, thanks for the tip, I'm sure many people will find that a useful shortcut. I made a note in the original post.

Beans

Hi I have been able to install the Unified Driver. However when I try to print a test page in the web fronted for cups (localhost:631), the test page is not printed and the following message is displayed -
    /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertosamsungsplc failed
    I thought it must be a problem of ownership, so I did
    $sudo chown -R root:root /usr/lib/cups/filter/
    still, I am getting the same error message.
    Any suggestions?
    Aditya Pratap V.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adityavpratap View Post
    still, I am getting the same error message.
    Any suggestions?
    What printer, and how is it connected to your computer?
    I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the driver just to make sure everything worked correctly; once I know printer/connection, I may be able to offer more help.

Page 6 of 104 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast