Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Where are you downloading the driver from?
    Samsung's sites no longer have linux downloads!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Where are you downloading the driver from?
    Samsung's sites no longer have linux downloads!
    That depends on the printer, and whether you are using Samsung.com or a regional Samsung site. For example, the CLP-770ND still provides the most recently released driver (now approaching a year old), at least at the primary Samsung site. Other printers, such as my own CLP-550N, no longer list it. It appears to be that printers first sold within the last 2-3 years usually have it listed, and others don't, but it's a little more random than that. And since the only variation is the version number (because Samsung only arbitrarily updates each link as new version are released, it has nothing to do with whether or not a version works) and whether or not Samsung packages the multi-function specific parts, it doesn't really matter which printer the driver you download is officially associated with. The exception being that if you want to scan, you need to download an archive from a multi-function printer (CLX or SCX models, and some CLP).

And although I don't want to direct too many people this direction, I do provide both the most recent (3.00.65) and most recent prior to the USB subsystem redesign (3.00.37) driver archives on my site (www.bchemnet.com/suldr/). Most of my monthly bandwidth already goes to people only downloading one of those two files, although the majority of the actual traffic is for the repository (which is obviously much more efficient for everyone). Because Samsung hasn't completely cut off the Linux driver, my bandwidth load is currently acceptable; that may change if too many people are looking only for the driver files and not the repository or general information.

Beans

When using the Samsung scan software for my CLX-3175FN the following error occurs (as stated previously):
    Code:
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib/libnss_files.so.2: symbol __rawmemchr, 
    version GLIBC_2.2.5 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    I found part of the solution for the error.

I renamed the file /lib/libnss_files.so.2 like so:
    Code:
    cd /lib
    mv libnss_files.so.2 libnss_files.so.2-64bit
    and created a link to the 32-bit version:
    Code:
    cd /lib
    ln -s ../lib32/libnss_files.so.2 .
    Now I don't have a problem running the Samsung scanner.

I'm guessing I will have problems now with other programs that do require the 64-bit version of libnss_files.so.2,
    so I added this 'solution' to the bug at
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ne/+bug/576531

Probably someone can come up with a solution to simply use the 32bit version from /lib32 without remove the 64-bit version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rutgerhendriks View Post
    I renamed the file /lib/libnss_files.so.2 like so:
    You could script this out to (mostly) avoid problems with other programs. To do so, you'd need to rename the relevant Samsung binaries and replace them with scripts of the same name. The scripts would trigger the rename of the library, call the renamed samsung binary directly, and then change the name of the library back after the Samsung piece quit.

I may have time to post a simple solution along these lines this weekend, we'll see; I wanted to get this idea out while I had a minute in case someone else wants to try it before I have a chance. The major problems with this approach are:
    (1) you need root access to rename the lib file, so either the Samsung binaries (and xsane) need to be run as root, or the scripts need setuid root access.
    (2) anything else trying to access the library during the phase when the Samsung programs are active would have problems. But that's (probably) no worse than a permanent rename.

I would associate the renaming scripts only with the few Samsung utilities that need it rather than xsane or the Configurator to minimize time that the 32-bit library is active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    You could script this out to (mostly) avoid problems with other programs.
    I was kind of hoping this could be solved using some environment variables
    so we could leave the files as is for other applications.

Beans

I was kind of hoping this could be solved using some environment variables
    so we could leave the files as is for other applications.
    You'll need the scripts solution no matter what. What may work, and I (again) haven't yet tried, is using LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a script (in place of renaming the libraries for the solution above) to point to the 32-bit library.

See http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Librar...libraries.html for more information, especially section 3.3.

For some reason I think this won't work, but it's been a while since I played with any of it and I can't immediately remember why it could fail (and I may be mistaken anyway). But it's no worse to try than what you've already done.

Beans

Hi,

the trick is, I guess, NOT to create a link to a 32 bit version of libnss_files.so.2 but to delete (or rather rename) the 64 bit library. For some reason, the sole existence of the 64 library makes scanning to fail.

-J

Beans

Thanks to Tweedledee for the help!
    Last edited by hodad; September 8th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Beans

i
    Last edited by hodad; September 8th, 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: don't think it works that well after all!

Beans

I found part of the solution for the error.
    Hi, thanx for all to share your tries and tips here. This thread is a big help.
    Great thanx to tweedledee who work hard with the unofficial repos.

I've resolved by mistake the problem with the scanner over LAN for my CLX-3175N.

I've a fresh install of Lucid 10.04.1 on an old AMD64 system and only the printer was working (either with the official samsung drivers or the unofficials).

I tried rutgerhendriks solution. The scanner is not detected and i've the same error :

Code:
    fabien@pc:/lib$ /opt/Samsung/mfp/bin/Configurator
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib32/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib32/libnss_files.so.2: symbol strcmp, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    Then i made a mistake by deleting the files :
    Code:
    /lib/libnss_files-2.11.1.so
    /lib/libnss_files.so.2
    And now an occurrence of the relocation error is printed once only when accessing on 'Scanners Configuration' page :
    Code:
    netdiscovery: relocation error: /lib32/libresolv.so.2: symbol strlen, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    The scanner is detected and operational

Previously i also made some modifications on the /etc/sane.d/smfp.conf by adding
    Code:
        <model vendor="samsung" id="clx3170" modelstring="CLX-3170 Series">
    [... copy of the clx3160 section ...]
        </model>
    And i've also modified the /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf according to the post quoted by tweedledee.

Later i'll remove these last two modifications to see what happens.
    Now i've to retrieve my libnss_files-2.11.1.so for 64bits in case of trouble with the deletion...

Page 49 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast