Page 15 of 104 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Hi there!

I am new to ubuntu.
    I have ubuntu server 8.04. I have access only to terminal, no gui.
    I have SCX-4321 printer.

I tried to install it, but obviously there was no option to choose printer (text installation).

Installation went ok, except that it installed SCX-4100 printer! (it should install scx-4x21 driver)

How to change printer manually? (somehow with lpadmin?)

PS I was able to print using lp command from terminal (with wrong driver)!

Many thanks!

Greg
    Last edited by djgregor97; July 15th, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Beans

sorry, repeated message...

Beans

It's late; sleep is terribly appealing at the moment; please forgive me for any probably-forgotten information.

I bought a Samsung CLP-315 today. Installation did not go well. After installing the unified driver, the printer was not detected and automagically installed (I am willing to consider that the problem may be elsewhere with my system, though it's unlikely).

dmesg included the following lines:
    [ 2615.480486] usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
    [ 2625.811849] usb 4-2: unable to read config index 0 descriptor/start: -110
    [ 2625.811863] usb 4-2: chopping to 0 config(s)
    [ 2645.802736] usb 4-2: no configuration chosen from 0 choices
    So I tried:
    modprobe -r ehci_hcd
    Suddenly the printer was detected (CLP-310 Series). I'm not certain whether I had to do this, or whether I'm just tired and had something stuck in my head after working on this for too long, but I then changed the device connection and URI: connection device MFP USB Port #0 (which had not shown up prior to removing ehci_hcd), URI mfp:/dev/mfp/4.

The sound of the printer feeding paper and spitting out a test page was magical.

(Further note: after running modprobe ehci_hcd to reinstall ehci_hcd, MFP USB Port #0 did not show up as a connection device. Interesting, and something I may add more information about if I figure anything useful out, such as whether printing works with ehci_hcd installed, or whether printing with the original connection/URI works.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djgregor97 View Post
    How to change printer manually? (somehow with lpadmin?)
    Yes - lpadmin is the correct tool. Not having used it, I can't give you exact instructions, but "man lpadmin" seemed fairly clear - you probably just need to delete the automatically installed printer and install a new one (the ppd directory is /usr/share/ppd/samsung).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MattScout View Post
    It's late; sleep is terribly appealing at the moment; please forgive me for any probably-forgotten information.
    All the USB interfaces in Linux 2.6.24 are a bit odd (ehci_hcd, ohci_hcd, and uhci_hcd, depending on what USB type you have; computers more modern than mine are probably using entirely ehci_hcd). I'm not entirely surprised to see the effect you describe, but I can't offer a better solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Samsung CLP-315 Printer Problem

Does anyone have any suggestions on other places I could pose my question on the Samsung CLP-315 driver install with the half/double printing problem, from a few (6-7) posts back?

I've already re-posted it in The Ubuntu Forum Community > Main Support Categories > Hardware & Laptops.

I would appreciate any other suggestions on where to seek help for this issue.

Thanks.

PS: I hope my inclusion of that image is acceptable; I will watch for negative feedback, and edit this post if I get any.

Beans

Re: Samsung CLP-315 Printer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by RamonBianco View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on other places I could pose my question on the Samsung CLP-315 driver install with the half/double printing problem, from a few (6-7) posts back?
    Not other locations, but have you tried the modprobe trick posted above by MattScout? Since you are also using USB, it may be a related problem. If it's not plugged into a USB 2.0 port, it's possible it will be the ohci or uhci instead of ehci driver. It's not necessarily a solution, but may get you started.

Although you are unlikely to get a response, you could also try the Samsung support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the response, tweedledee. I did try Samsung, and haven't gotten a response.

The printer was detected okay when it was connected via USB, but now it's on a network print server.

In both cases, it could print, but the pages had the above half/double problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RamonBianco View Post
    Thanks for the response, tweedledee. I did try Samsung, and haven't gotten a response.

The printer was detected okay when it was connected via USB, but now it's on a network print server.

In both cases, it could print, but the pages had the above half/double problem.
    I've had limited success one case with trying different drivers: the generic postscript driver may work (with limited functions), or drivers for similar Samsung printers may also work (e.g., 310). You want to be a little careful playing with different drivers, as you could theoretically damage your printer, but probably you're fine, especially if you don't wander too far (e.g., don't try M series drivers). You can also try different network protocols, although in this case that seems unlikely to matter.

If they produce different results, you may be able to narrow down the problem, or even find something that is good enough for your purposes.

One final extreme option is to try a different Linux flavor; I've actually had somewhat better success with Samsung with pure Debian than Ubuntu, but it's still not perfect. Many distros have live CDs that you could try installing the printer with to see if something works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    I've had limited success one case with trying different drivers: the generic postscript driver may work (with limited functions), or drivers for similar Samsung printers may also work (e.g., 310) . . . If they produce different results, you may be able to narrow down the problem . . .
    Thanks, but I tried a couple of different Samsung drivers, the CLP-500 one that I believe is from splix, and the CLP-300 one from the Samsung Unified. Both resulted in a printed page saying "SPC-ERROR - Please use the proper driver". The PostScript driver didn't produce anything; the CLP-315 unfortunately does not "natively" support PostScript (otherwise, I presumably wouldn't have any problem).
    Last edited by RamonBianco; July 20th, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: compactification

Page 15 of 104 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast