Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTK File Selector Hate.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Thumbs down GTK File Selector Hate.

Am I the only one here who absolutely hates the GTK file selector?

Let's start off with the simple mode. I see a picture I want to save on the net. I already have a subfolder for aircraft pictures under Pictures/Aviation, however if I have been using another folder previously (Pictures/Computers) I can only select that folder or the root Pictures folder.

I guess I could create a Nautilus bookmark for every single one of my subfolders, however the list would get way too long. I'd have to have a Pictures/Cats, Pictures/Photos/Holidays, /Pictures/Aviation/Fighters etc...

Other users might have directories like /Documents/TPS Reports/2004/March/2-12/ for example!

Sure it looks simple, but it has next to no functionality. I can only save to a bookmark folder or previously used subfolder.

Even if I want the same subfolder as last time any full file selector should still remember my previously used folder.

To do anything worthwhile with it I'd have to click to go to the "Browse for Other Folders" option.

Next up, let's just say I want to edit a specific picture in GIMP. How is having a little "Image Preview" going to help me if I've got a folder filled with hundreds of pictures?

Also, why does the file selector use List-view to do this when Nautilus uses Icon-view by default? In the modern world of multimedia and simple usability, why are we sticking to the older list-view for simple desktop tasks?

What I'd like to see would be the "simple mode" scrapped all together, and make the GTK file selector basically a slightly stripped down version of Nautilus, with Icon View by default.

I'd like to file a bug report/wish-list, however knowing most stubborn GNOME devs I don't see it going anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: GTK File Selector Hate.

the one in KDE is a little better, but an overhaul would still be nice.

Beans

I see you collect images of helicopters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This has also been bothering me lately. I think you beat me to the punch.

I wouldn't even mind it if the dialog were to intuit a directory for the file you're trying to save (sortof like Azureus does with torrent files).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

KDE has just copied the windows file selector. It is ancient but it works well for hierarchical file systems that we use. It's like GTK have re-invented the wheel except they haven't invented the tyre yet and it makes for a really bumpy ride.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by darkninja View Post
    Am I the only one here who absolutely hates the GTK file selector?
    No

I actually found a way to make FF use the KDE file-selecter, I will see if I can find it if you are interested...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

can't find it anymore but i might have found something even better:

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=36077

Beans

This looks very hackish

The 'Portland' freedesktop project will undoubtedly come up with a far better solution. But until then, you can give this a try.
    So I'll just wait and see.

This point comes back endlessly when kde/qt users say what they dislike about gnome/gtk. What I don't really know is what most gnome/gtk fans think.
    Anyway, I just hope that either the gtk file selector will be improved, or that there will be a proper way to replace it, so that kde/qt fans can't complain about that anymore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I guess I'm a Gnome fan, and I don't care much since I rarely ever use the thing.

I just have to say, though, that thumbnails in the file selector would be a disaster. If I want to open a file in a folder with 5000 pictures in it, I don't want to wait several minutes while it loads the thumbnails, at which point the file selector will use a hundred megs of RAM. Really, the only thing I can think of that I want changed immediately is that it should remember if you want the simple or "advanced" view and give it to you right away.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by pmj View Post
    I guess I'm a Gnome fan, and I don't care much since I rarely ever use the thing.

I just have to say, though, that thumbnails in the file selector would be a disaster. If I want to open a file in a folder with 5000 pictures in it, I don't want to wait several minutes while it loads the thumbnails, at which point the file selector will use a hundred megs of RAM. Really, the only thing I can think of that I want changed immediately is that it should remember if you want the simple or "advanced" view and give it to you right away.

I disagree. I've got a folder (on a NTFS-3G mounted filesystem no less) that contains 663 images, and it only takes about 15 seconds to generate all the thumbnails from scratch and Nautilus remains totally responsive while doing it, prioritising the images in view.

I don't notice any unusually high RAM usage from Nautilus

The vast majority of folders will have much less images then that.

I'd much rather take a slight delay then manually going through such a folder in list view trying to find the right image. My current solution is to run Nautilus to find the image I want then copy+paste it into whatever needs it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast