Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best python editor?

Beans

What is the best python editor?

Hi,
    I am learning python and am trying to find the best IDE out there for it. Because I'm new to it, i want something that has all the API docs included with the IDE so I can read them as I learn etc. Even better if it does something like Eclipes with finishing part of the code. Anyway this would be very helpful thanks,

The Net Duck

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: What is the best python editor?

I'm using SPE since a short while, its definitive worth a look.
    The best Editor, is the one _you_ like best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I asked a similar question a while ago and most people seemed to say Stani's Python Editor (SPE) was the best free Python IDE. You can get it from Synaptic easily, I installed it and I have to say I like it. It's a nice IDE with some good features but it's not too bulky in my opinion. Might be worth a try.

You're bound to get some people telling you to use gedit or something like that as well because they argue you can't learn anything if an IDE does too much for you. It's a fair point I suppose but it's a personal choice. Personally I choose SPE
    "I don't know Karate but I know Kerrraaazzzy!!" - James Brown - The Payback 8)
    Registered Ubuntu User - #11654
    Registered Linux User - #441527

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I use good old Gedit and IDLE (used edit.com in Windows once )

Beans

I went through the same thing about a month ago and came to the conclusion that while SPE is definitely the best open source IDE, Wing surprisingly beats it by a lot. It's unfortunately commercial, but there's a 30 day trial and you can even get it for free if you're an OSS developer. For starters it has the best command completion I've come across along with excellent documentation and a lot of polish.

Still I don't really like full IDEs and use Geany (it's like a slightly more IDEish Gedit) along with deskbar and the devhelp plugin for documentation. In the same vein Scribes looks cool, although I haven't tried it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I've been a fan of coding in gvim for some time but when I recently took on learning python I wanted something a little more friendly for development, especially since python is so interactive during development so I tried DrPython and I love it. I think anyone looking for a python IDE should give it a shot and see what they think, it is available in the repositories so you can install it via apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic. (Note: the package name is all lower case for installation)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thumbs down Re: What is the best python editor?

Quote Originally Posted by deadlydeathcone View Post
    Still I don't really like full IDEs and use Geany (it's like a slightly more IDEish Gedit) along with deskbar and the devhelp plugin for documentation.
    Same here, Geany + Devhelp. But Geany has also some very annoying bugs
    Never STOP a Python program with the GUI button, that will **** your system and every program will close for example...

Quote Originally Posted by deadlydeathcone View Post
    In the same vein Scribes looks cool, although I haven't tried it yet.
    And it is written in Python itself afaik.
    Edgy Eft Packages: Glade-3 3.1.4, Geany 0.10, Banshee 0.11.3, Inkscape 0.45, [] Geom - interactive geometry []
    Any questions? Send me a PM, as I don't subscribe to every thread.
    Mark Shuttleworth...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not sure about best, but I use and like eric. It's free amd easy to use.
    Regards,

56phil

Beans

I tried several python editors and I found out that jEdit was best to me. Some IDEs I tried were a bit buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Just tried out Scribes. It's looks pretty good. Fast and Slim. I'm still trying to get used to not having tabs. I usually like having a bunch of files open at once, but they all open as separate windows. Other than that, I like it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast