Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Self-burning iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Suggestion: Self-burning iso

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    But how would this installer exacerbate the situation? If anything, it would make it better.
    Giving Windows users an INSTALL.EXE makes them think: "Oh. that Ubuntu thing. what a great Windows program!"

At the moment, it's hard enough getting people to understand that Linux is not windows. Having Ubuntu installable directly from Windows blurs the distinction even more.

I guess my main concern/complaint is that this sort of thing raises unrealistic expectations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

That is highly different to a self contained disc burner/image though. What he wanted was the equivalent of a self extracting archive, the details of extraction are handled in the executable rather than by a 3rd party program. It is certainly doable but it probably won't happen because it would only work in Windows while an ISO is generic. It would only take about 5 minutes to set it up with the correct software though.

Beans

yeah I agree. People dont need to be super technical to learn how to use Linux, but they should at least be able to burn an ISO; at least with the help of a guide (which they can easily find if they try and search for it). Making installation easy for users is one thing...but this goes a little too far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    yeah I agree. People dont need to be super technical to learn how to use Linux, but they should at least be able to burn an ISO; at least with the help of a guide (which they can easily find if they try and search for it). Making installation easy for users is one thing...but this goes a little too far.
    They may not necessarily have the software needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Obviously you'll have to learn to use Linux, but I see not implementing something like this out of some disdain for the non-computer literate is deliberately making things harder than they have to be. ISOs are trivial to most of us, but remember Ubuntu's audience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by G Morgan View Post
    They may not necessarily have the software needed.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu -> in the "Burning a CD" section, advisory on free software is given.

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom View Post
    Obviously you'll have to learn to use Linux, but I see not implementing something like this out of some disdain for the non-computer literate is deliberately making things harder than they have to be. ISOs are trivial to most of us, but remember Ubuntu's audience.
    It's not purposely making it harder, it's refraining from making it too easy. If people are too lazy to google for how to burn an ISO, they they'll never have the motivation to tackle the learning curve Linux has.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by Brunellus View Post
    Giving Windows users an INSTALL.EXE makes them think: "Oh. that Ubuntu thing. what a great Windows program!"

At the moment, it's hard enough getting people to understand that Linux is not windows. Having Ubuntu installable directly from Windows blurs the distinction even more.

I guess my main concern/complaint is that this sort of thing raises unrealistic expectations.
    Yeah, I sometimes get the classic "Linux? Is that Windows?"
    I think having an Install.exe takes all the fun out of the process. For me waiting for that 700MB ISO to download gets me excited and I can't wait till it finishes and I get it burned to a CD. It's fun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu -> in the "Burning a CD" section, advisory on free software is given.
    That guide requires people download two applications in addition to the Ubuntu file (you don't really need to download md5summer, but the guide suggests you do). Should that really be necessary?

Arguing that this is a bad idea because it will lead to ignorant users hosing their systems is pretty far-fetched. The .exe file would burn a CD, not install Ubuntu. If the program were limited to only burn Live CDs, the system is in no more danger than usual.
    Last edited by banjobacon; January 17th, 2007 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by banjobacon View Post
    That guide requires people download two applications in addition to the Ubuntu file (you don't really need to download md5summer, but the guide suggests you do). Should that really be necessary?

Arguing that this is a bad idea because it will lead to ignorant users hosing their systems is pretty far-fetched. The .exe file would burn a CD, not install Ubuntu. If the program were limited to only burn Live CDs, the system is in no more danger than usual.
    I don't think it'll lead to people hosing their system (or at least that doesn't concern me), but I'm kind of worried if people aren't willing to install two extra apps to burn an ISO. It's not that difficult. Quite honestly, I think we've got way more important things to focus on. We get a steady influx of new users already. Our best bet now is to 1. educate them 2. Improve the OS itself.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Beans

i really don't like this whole install.exe/self-burning iso idea...i think having the technological knowledge to burn an ISO makes for a good prerequisite for Linux...simply, if you can't burn an ISO, you don't have the knowledge to run Linux

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast