Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a laptop - low end

Beans

Re: Thinking of a laptop - low end

Why not look at the hardware compatibility list and check out there which are compatible, then check their price range in your area...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_J_ View Post
    Why not look at the hardware compatibility list and check out there which are compatible, then check their price range in your area...
    Yes I did. A lot of the machines on the list aren't available here. I will proceed differently. I will check what is available in my price range and hardware requirements and then I will ask for experiences of others.
    Last edited by bries; January 18th, 2007 at 10:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bries View Post
    Yes I did. A lot of the machines on the list aren't available here. I will proceed differently. I will check what is available in my price range and hardware requirements and then I will ask for experiences of others.
    Makes sense! I did the same before purchasing my PC parts. The diference was I already had an idea as to what I'd buy from scavanging the net for clues...

Maybe the Gentoo wiki can give you clues as to what not to buy. They usually keep their wiki pretty well maintained and filled with info.

Unfortunatelly it's very true that good info on hardware with reviews towards the linux home user is hard to find.

I found most my info after several days of looking threw google searches and looking several sites that provide near to no info.

If you get a laptop please post info about it here as I'm thinking of doing similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will keep you informed. I've made some phone calls to suppliers but so far no luck of getting quote of a laptop without Windows preinstalled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12