Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Team Info

Beans

Kentucky Team Info

Welcome to the Ubuntu Kentucky LoCo Team.

We are glad that you found the forum. If you live in the Bluegrass State and are either already an Ubuntu user or are interested in what this Linux thing is all about we invite you to join up with us.

Links of interest.

Forum: http://kentucky.ubuntuforums.org (I know you are already here but bookmark the link for future use)
    Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KentuckyTeam
    IRC Channel: #ubuntu-kentucky
    Mailing List: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ky

Oh yeah, don't forget to stop by https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-kentucky and join the team.
    Last edited by etank; August 2nd, 2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: changed the forums URL
    Thanks,

etank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kentucky Team Info

Update: our new official Ubuntu-Kentucky irc channel is

IRC Channel: #ubuntu-kentucky on irc.freenode.net

Beans

I've joined =] linux user with 3+ experiance from radcliff (elizabethtown area). Great to see a KY team.

Beans

Hi there everyone. I'm from Bowling Green. I've been an Ubuntu user since about june. I used Linux a bit in years past, but I've forgotten most of what I ever knew. Also, you IRC folks gotta stay up later and/or get up earlier. What kind of nerd isn't awake at 4am? ^^

Beans

w00t. We have a running web site again. Point your browser to http://ubuntu-kentucky.org to see what we have so far.
    Thanks,

etank

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Hello all I have joined form Lexington. I have been a Linux user of ubuntu cents April, opps it is still April. Ok I am a very newbie. It has taken me three months to get this far with linux but I am here now.
    Thank you for creating a spot for people of Kentucky to hang out, and to get linux help. Now if someone know how to write drivers please let me know.

Thanks,
    Johninky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu-Kentucky.org web site

I tried to register for the ubuntu-kentucky.org web site and for some reason, my application has not been approved. Is there a problem with the site, or do they just not want me to be a member?

Red

Beans

hey guys i m from louisville,ky.i m a newbie at ubuntu.i was wondering if anyone can help me?i have a laptop n i installed ubuntu on it i dont know to connect wireless on it..does anybody know how?thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Getting wireless to work under Ubuntu may be easy or difficult depending on your hardware (wireless chipset). I have an Acer laptop and with previous versions of Ubuntu, I needed to use ndiswrapper. However, with the current version 8.04, I can use the b43 module and fwcutter to get me working.

You probably will need to learn your wireless hardware. Try the command lspci in a terminal. If you see the info for your wireless device, search these forums and hopefully you can find some useful instructions on getting your wireless card working.

Looks as if the Louisville Linux Scene needs a SIG to help people install Ubuntu on their computers; something like the old KIPCUG Linux Lab SIG. Anyway, feel free to IM me on Yahoo or AIM and perhaps I can help if you have more information on your hardware.

Red

Beans

So, I just joined the team. I'm located in Bellevue, KY (just across the river from Cincinnati--in fact, I can see it from where I sit here on the front porch) and I've been an Ubuntu user for about a year. Started w/ Feisy and had some weird problems with it, primarily with my wireless card. I'm on an inexpensive Compaq Presario notebook that came w/ Vista... this explains why I came to Ubuntu in the first place. My 3-month experiment with Vista was nothing more than a slow trudge through everything I attempted to do, so I made the switch. When I first went to Feisty, I had trouble with the screen resolution, the speakers on my notebook would play sound along with my headphones, and I tried wrestling with my wireless card a few times, to no avail.

I found workarounds to the problems that I was having, and then heard the buzz with Hardy and upgraded a couple weeks ago, and it's been like a dream. Wireless? No problem. Strange hardware issues? No problem. Screen resolution? Just where I like it. In fact, I got my mother-in-law up and running with Hardy this past weekend, and she loves it, too. I've been an osx user in the past, and have to use xp @ work, but Hardy is the first time I've been genuinely excited about an operating system.

So, I'm happy to be here! Huzzah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast