Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Ubuntu's Year

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

2007 Ubuntu's Year

Many people think the number 7 has some sort of higher magical powers. Although not everyone tends to lean toward the superstitious bent, there are still others who feel that the number seven is an all around lucky number.
    If we listen to all this information, putting logic aside and suspending our disbelief, 2007 will be a lucky year for Ubuntu.
    I mean, after all, we'll see 7.04 and 7.10 released this year. I wonder what other lucky 7s we can associate with Ubuntu for this year?
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro

Re: 2007 Ubuntu's Year

Well... those are the first releases with closed source drivers. Could be a sign of good things.

Beans

Every time I see something that says "200x is linuxes yr" etc i wanna puke.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By your logic, 2007 is everybody's year, since the number 7 has higher magical powers.

Ubuntu does version numbers by year, so it's no coincidence that 7.04 and 7.10 will be released in 2007. After all, 6.06 and 6.10 were released in 2006; 5.04 and 5.10 were released in 2005; and 4.10 was released in 2004. 8.04 and 8.10 will probably be released in 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Ubuntu needs to keep it's focus up. I think we need a step up this year. There's been a lot of hype, some deserved, some otherwise but what we really need is a monumental effort in this year of all years given that some feel 2008 will be the closing date for the new 64-bit monopoly.

We need better media support, perhaps Canonical should look at distributing proprietary codecs at cost as a separate venture to Ubuntu. However distasteful it is, for now we need full MP3, DVD etc support legally so distributors can pre-install Linux systems with codec support. This is vital, if they cannot legally distribute Linux machines with MP3 and DeCSS support they will not distribute Linux.

Ubuntu needs full 3D support but this seems in hand, WiFi is also being handled.

One area Ubuntu lacks is in serious documentation. We need community support to build a professional knowledge base that goes beyond simple wikis and blog articles. We need something that intends to rival the MS knowledge base. We need comprehensive documentation at all levels. It all exists splattered around the web but we need it to come together into a centralised knowledge system.

For Linux in general gnash and wine are the interesting products. It would be nice to say that Linux has a 64-bit flash 9 plugin via gnash. It would be a killer feature. Wine needs to close that increasingly small gap so it can claim solid Win32 support.

Beans

Mabye I'll have a good year. I'm 17 and it's 2007.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Every time I see something that says "200x is linuxes yr" etc i wanna puke.
    By all means, puke away!
    All the world's a stage
    And all the men and women merely players

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have good hopes, I believe many people will distrust vista greatly and I have been using Linux for almost a year and have seen a great progress. Last year I still had to dive into config files, lately I don't need to anymore, everything is done automatically. Xorg 7.3 will be another very big step forward, with on the fly configuration.

And I think Ubuntu has something FF had a few years ago, the thing that people just want to try it...maybe it won't be 2007 but 2008 or 2009 will be better years for Linux than it is now...

BTW, when will MS drop support for XP? Becuase than many many people will switch...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by G Morgan View Post
    One area Ubuntu lacks is in serious documentation. We need community support to build a professional knowledge base that goes beyond simple wikis and blog articles. We need something that intends to rival the MS knowledge base. We need comprehensive documentation at all levels. It all exists splattered around the web but we need it to come together into a centralised knowledge system.
    I'm interested in your thoughts about this. What do you have in mind and how would it differ from the current Wiki documentation and the Ubuntu Documentation Project?

Beans
    Hidden!

if FGLRX drivers or atleast my X300 supports aiglx 3d, 2d, full accelleration perfectly, then this year will be perfect for me.

because as far as I'm concerned, the only thing I want in ubuntu now is my x300 supported with aiglx.
    -Patrick
    let the strings lead you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast