Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: New GPL virtualization software: Virtualbox

Beans

Re: New GPL virtualization software: Virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by Moulton View Post
    To get the kernel module to load, I found I had to issue the 'depmod' command (as root) first. Perhaps a reboot would have also worked.

I also had trouble with the group permission issue on /dev/vboxdrv. Adding myself to the entry in /etc/group didn't seem to work (even with logging out and back in again). I finally adopted MusicManiac's solution of changing the permissions on /dev/vboxdrv to 666.

The default Host Key is documented as 'Control_R', which I found confusing. It's not Ctrl+R, but the right control key, which has to be pressed and released.

Like MusicManiac, I was interested in whether VirtualBox could import or mount .vmdk files from VMware. It's pretty clear that no such feature yet exists.

There are two semi-interesting possibilities (neither of which I have tried)...

A .vmdk file on Windows can be attached as a drive letter using some free third-party tools. Then, any VFAT or NTFS partitions can be mounted in Windows and (presumably) shared using the native SMB file sharing feature of Windows.

A more interesting possibility is to exploit the iSCSI feature of the proprietary version of VirtualBox. The license says that the proprietary version can be used free of charge for personal or educational use. It occurs to me that one might be able to build a small iSCSI server in VMware and export a .vmdk drive as a generic block device which could then be attached as an iSCSI drive in VirtualBox. If this can be made to work, then one might be able to use existing .vmdk drives that way.
    1. .vmdk is a proprietary format.
    2. Says on their homepage that this is NOT FLOSS in the versions that do allow file sharing, and that is pretty much something you'd need sooner or later so the PUEL is the only valid licence for this, besides, download the sourcecode, the released source is void of any commentary rendering it useless to anyone else than the people at Innotek. this isn't true FLOSS more than Intel's graphics drivers are FLOSS. Only the people involved can understand the codebase.

3. But it is a whole wagonload faster than VMWare, mostly because it uses a lot of cache.

So the more the merrier, of course, if you were to run Vista which is extremely efficient in that department, VMWare or Virtualbox would not matter as long as you assign enough memory.

Beans

If I try to install from feisty herd 2 iso, the screen gets unusable when I get to the partiotion section in the installation wizard and I cannot proceed. Using server/alternate ISO works fine. Does anybody else have the same problem?

EDIT: solved updating Ubiquity before running the installer
    Last edited by ago; January 26th, 2007 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by v.ipe.r View Post
    Ok, I'm going to confirm if every thing is wright, just one question, what ip should i put here?

Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc
    v.ipe.r check out this post on the ubuntu forums. It solves eveything.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...65#post2066565

_________
    Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I started a thread called Installing Virtualization Software. At first it was about vmware and virtualbox, but I became more attracted to virtualbox because vmware proved to be difficult to install (understanding what to do was the difficult part), and virtualbox, with its self-contained auto unpacker installer, looked a lot easier Wrong!

Then I found this thread and read all the entries with great interest. Following the approach of igetorrors to install linux 686 and the related linux-headers, and working through the instructions in the virtualbox.org FAQs, I eventually had a virtualbox installation - or so I thought.

All is not well. I've made one virtual machine, but cannot start it. An error message complains that the VirtualBox Kernel driver is not installed. I tried to set the permissions for /dev/vboxdrv to 666 as some people appear to done, but there is no such file or folder on my PC.

Any advice would be most welcome.. Is a guide to installing VirtualBox in a clean, updated, installation of Dapper Drake too much to hope for?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by happybill View Post
    I started a thread called Installing Virtualization Software. At first it was about vmware and virtualbox, but I became more attracted to virtualbox because vmware proved to be difficult to install (understanding what to do was the difficult part), and virtualbox, with its self-contained auto unpacker installer, looked a lot easier Wrong!

Then I found this thread and read all the entries with great interest. Following the approach of igetorrors to install linux 686 and the related linux-headers, and working through the instructions in the virtualbox.org FAQs, I eventually had a virtualbox installation - or so I thought.

All is not well. I've made one virtual machine, but cannot start it. An error message complains that the VirtualBox Kernel driver is not installed. I tried to set the permissions for /dev/vboxdrv to 666 as some people appear to done, but there is no such file or folder on my PC.

Any advice would be most welcome.. Is a guide to installing VirtualBox in a clean, updated, installation of Dapper Drake too much to hope for?
    check your virtualbox install log. you might be missing a few things when its trying to build it. It will show you there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

As I understand it, the .vmdk format is a published architecture, which means that third-party tools can create and parse working .vmdk drive image files, including translations into other drive image formats. There are such tools for converting to the Virtual PC .vhd format, for example.

Eventually, I suppose, the developers will provide ways to directly attach drive images in foreign formats, just as file systems are increasingly easy to mount on non-native operating systems.

Since VirtualBox, is Open Source, I expect that means the .vdi disk image format is a published architecture.

In the meantime, existing .vmdk drives can be exported using conventional network file sharing protocols, so it might suffice just to build a small /boot drive in VirtualBox and snarf an existing Linux file system via a network mount.

I took a look at openfiler. There is a pre-packaged VMware appliance for it, and it's easy enough to attach a .vmdk file to it. But openfiler might be a tad too massive if all you want to do is export a file system residing on .vmdk. I still don't know if exporting a .vmdk drive as an iSCSI block device would make it directly bootable within VirtualBox. In theory this should be doable, but reducing theory to practice is another story.
    The Process of Enlightenment Works in Mysterious Plays.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I tried to set the permissions for /dev/vboxdrv to 666 as some people appear to done, but there is no such file or folder on my PC.
    I had this same problem. For me, the fix was to run
    Code:
    sudo depmod
    before executing /etc/init.d/virtualbox.

The depmod command rebuilds the module dependencies. Without that step, the attempt to load the kernel driver fails.

Once the kernel driver for vboxdrv is successfully loaded, there will magically appear the /dev/vboxdrv entry. Change the permissions on it to 666 before starting up your Virtualbox session. For some reason, the group permissions aren't being recognized, even when you are added to the vboxusers group.

There was always a rarely used 'newgrp' command in Unix to choose which of your group IDs would dominate. I found that the 'newgrp' command failed for me, presumably because groups now have password authorization. It may be necessary to take additional measures to fully authorize group read/write permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Booting VirtualBox from a VMware .vmdk Drive

Upthread ManiacMusician lamented the inability to boot Virtual Box from an existing VMware .vmdk disk image.

I found a way to do this using the iSCSI feature of VirtualBox.

As proof of concept, I did this using some ready-made tools on Windows. I had previously installed the suite of third-party VMware tools from RDPsoftware, including VDKwin. I used VDKwin to attach a bootable .vmdk disk image as if it were a physical disk in Windows. Note that I did not mount any of the partitions as drive letters in Windows.

Then, using iSCSI Cake on Windows , I exported that attached disk image as an iSCSI target to my adjacent Linux computer where I had VirtualBox installed. The VirtualBox console interface doesn't provide a convenient way to attach the IDE drive to an iSCSI target, so I had to issue this command at the Unix shell ...
    Code:
    VBoxManage addiscsidisk -server kayak -target "Marble Drop" -username Dell
    The target and username correspond to the names that I had chosen in iSCSI Cake when I exported the .vmdk disk image as an iSCSI target.

Now, back in the VirtualBox console, the newly defined iSCSI target shows up in my list of registered drives, and I can select it as my first IDE drive.

I start my virtual machine, and miracle of miracles, it accesses the remote drive over my LAN, booting up at the sluggish speed one would expect for booting from a network drive.

Since the virtual hardware has changed, I have to deal with loading different drivers, and perhaps revectoring the location of the root partition, say from sda3 to hda3. Booting into a Windows .vmdk, there is lots of 'Found New Hardware' to cycle through.

But it works.

At home, I'm running a 10-Mbps Ethernet, which is really too slow for iSCSI. But if VirtualBox is running on the same host as the iSCSI server, the localhost loopback interface would presumably run at reasonable speeds.

I don't know of any easy way to mount a .vmdk image as an attached drive in Linux that could be similarly exported as an iSCSI target, short of running an iSCSI server inside of a VMware appliance. I did look into the OpenFiler VMware appliance, but it's way too hefty a package for the task at hand.

Beans

Hey All,

I dual boot between Windows XP and Ubuntu, and would like to be rid of XP for good, except for VirtualBox installation...

I followed the guide located here http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=340113

and tried to install XP, with no luck

I cant seem to get the program to look on the disk, it opens, and says no boot media found!

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Regarding group permissions, I see that adding oneself to the vboxusers group requires matching entries in both /etc/group and /etc/gshadow. The latter is the group password file.

If one is properly represented in both /etc/group and /etc/gshadow, then write permission succeeds to /dev/vboxdrv with the default 660 permissions.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast