Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The file format is invalid?? New theme install errors

Beans

Question The file format is invalid?? New theme install errors

hey guys.. i was trying to install a theme to my Ubuntu install.. downloaded a famous GDM theme from this page http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=21492

Opened >> system>>pref>>Themes>>install new themes>>browsed to the 21492-cleanlinux.tar.gz >>HIt install button>> It gives me = The file format is invalid error

I followed the tips given in the help file: To Install a New Theme

Code:
    You can add a theme to the list of available themes. The new theme must be an archive file that is tarred and zipped. That is, the new theme must be a .tar.gz file.

To install a new theme, perform the following steps:

1. Start the Theme preference tool.
       2. Click on the Install Theme button. A Theme Installation dialog is displayed.
       3. Enter the location of the theme archive file in the drop-down combination box. Alternatively, to browse for the file, click on the Browse button. When you have selected the file, click OK.
       4. Click on the Install button to install the new theme.
    what am i doing wrong here? please help
    Last edited by ntrsfrml; May 12th, 2005 at 08:02 AM.

Beans

Re: The file format is invalid?? New theme install errors

Quote Originally Posted by ntrsfrml
    hey guys.. i was trying to install a theme to my Ubuntu install..

what am i doing wrong here? please help
    Nothing I just tried to install the theme on Hoary as well and it failed, it works on Warty though.

I think that the theme is not compatible with the version of Gnome in Hoary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hazza96
    Nothing I just tried to install the theme on Hoary as well and it failed, it works on Warty though.

I think that the theme is not compatible with the version of Gnome in Hoary.
    aww..that sucks ..Is there a site with new/compatible with Hoary Gnome themes?

thanks

Beans

aww..that sucks ..Is there a site with new/compatible with Hoary Gnome themes?
    Don't take my word that the themes are not compatible, the developers could have broken theme management in Hoary.

What needs to be done is the theme tested on another distro that has the same Gnome version of Ubuntu. If it works then Hoary is broken, if it doesn't then you can be reasonably sure that there are differences between the theme structures.

I don't see programmers of Gnome making it so that the theme management was not backwards compatible, then again it might not be possible.

As I said the theme needs testing on another Distro that uses the same version of Gnome, then we will know for sure.

Beans

seriously...i'm not really happy with my switch.. installed ubuntu over my windows xp pro and so far it has been a PITA to even install a simple proggy or a theme..why can't they make everything like .exe in windows and you can follow the install wizard. Nothing is compatible!!? I downloaded Firefox 1.0.4 today and tried everything still i can only run it in Terminal

TIme for me to go back to windows world..in my book Ubuntu or LInux = just another POS OS.

Beans

TIme for me to go back to windows world..in my book Ubuntu or LInux = just another POS OS.
    Do you use ADSL, then you use Linux, do you have an MP3 player, then you use Linux, do you have a set-top box, then you use Linux, do you have <insert embedded device here>, then you are (or soon will be) using Linux

I guess you are used to all viruses, spyware, security holes etc. If you make a computer so that stupid people can use it, guess who ends up using it? We can all see your level of understanding with this comment:
    why can't they make everything like .exe in windows
    We can also judge your level of intelligence by you dissing Linux in a Linux forum. Good luck and don't let the door hit your **** on the way out.
    Last edited by hazza96; May 12th, 2005 at 11:49 PM.

Beans

hey guys.. i was trying to install a theme to my Ubuntu install.. downloaded a famous GDM theme from this page http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=21492

Opened >> system>>pref>>Themes>>install new themes>>browsed to the 21492-cleanlinux.tar.gz >>HIt install button>> It gives me = The file format is invalid error
    There are different kinds of themes. There is "desktop theme" which determines appearance of window borders, scrollbars, etc, and then there is GDM theme which determnies the appearance of GDM login screen. They use different formats, obviously, The instructions you were following are for installing desktop theme.

To install GDM theme, go to system->Login screen setup.

Beans

Do you use ADSL, then you use Linux, do you have an MP3 player, then you use Linux, do you have a set-top box, then you use Linux, do you have <insert embedded device here>, then you are (or soon will be) using Linux

I guess you are used to all viruses, spyware, security holes etc. If you make a computer so that stupid people can use it, guess who ends up using it? We can all see your level of understanding with this comment:

We can also judge your level of intelligence by you dissing Linux in a Linux forum. Good luck and don't let the door hit your **** on the way out.
    I know LInux is used everyday day life gadget etc.. heck i have Motorola A780 cellphone using it. MY point is that i don't have to compile some source to install programs and utilities on the cellphone or other devices like Camera, MP3 players.. MOst of my Motorola utilities are pre-configured one-click apps.

Are you trying to say that LInux has been safe cus it takes more than couple of clicks to install stuff? I'm sure the day more than 80% of the world's PC start using LInux.. there willbe more linux virus/vulnerabilities in wild compared to PC today.

I wonder if you even knew anything about keeping your windows box clean from spyware/virus and came linux way..? I'm not trying to diss anybody off.. only saying that it takes some brain storming to install a simple app on Ubuntu. and BTW is spelled ass..not ****..

Beans

MY point is that i don't have to compile some source to install programs and utilities on the cellphone or other devices like Camera, MP3 players.. MOst of my Motorola utilities are pre-configured one-click apps.
    Which Ubuntu are you using? I have not had to compile a single thing on mine, maybe you should try Hoary, it's the latest release.

Are you trying to say that LInux has been safe cus it takes more than couple of clicks to install stuff? I'm sure the day more than 80% of the world's PC start using LInux.. there willbe more linux virus/vulnerabilities in wild compared to PC today.
    Common misconception, that's like saying "When 80% of cars have seat belts they will less safe than the ones without them". One has safety and security built-in, the other does not.

Don't think that they haven't tried writing a virus for Linux. One of the reasons virus writers do what they do is for the prestige, how much cred do you think they would get if they were able to write the first Linux virus? There have been "proof of concept" viruses but they took too much work for anyone to be bothered to infect themselves.

I wonder if you even knew anything about keeping your windows box clean from spyware/virus and came linux way..? I'm not trying to diss anybody off.. only saying that it takes some brain storming to install a simple app on Ubuntu.
    I know way too much about keeping Windows clean of viruses and spyware, it's the main bread and butter of my business. I am thankful that Windows is so crap, I make a good living out of it. I use AVG, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and aSquared on the Windows machines. If you keep them up-to-date they do a decent job of keeping Windows as safe as it can be.

BTW is spelled ass..not ****..
    In whose language? Is it spelt color or colour? Lite or light?

Look I am willing to help you with any problems you might have on Ubuntu. First you have to realise that to learn a different system that it will be .. ah... different. If you want your computer to be just like Windows then run Windows. Linux is Linux and Windows is Windows, they are different once you get over it and get used to it you will be thankful.

Beans

Which Ubuntu are you using? I have not had to compile a single thing on mine, maybe you should try Hoary, it's the latest release.

Common misconception, that's like saying "When 80% of cars have seat belts they will less safe than the ones without them". One has safety and security built-in, the other does not.

Don't think that they haven't tried writing a virus for Linux. One of the reasons virus writers do what they do is for the prestige, how much cred do you think they would get if they were able to write the first Linux virus? There have been "proof of concept" viruses but they took too much work for anyone to be bothered to infect themselves.

I know way too much about keeping Windows clean of viruses and spyware, it's the main bread and butter of my business. I am thankful that Windows is so crap, I make a good living out of it. I use AVG, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware and aSquared on the Windows machines. If you keep them up-to-date they do a decent job of keeping Windows as safe as it can be.

In whose language? Is it spelt color or colour? Lite or light?

Look I am willing to help you with any problems you might have on Ubuntu. First you have to realise that to learn a different system that it will be .. ah... different. If you want your computer to be just like Windows then run Windows. Linux is Linux and Windows is Windows, they are different once you get over it and get used to it you will be thankful.
    alright.. then please help me with some basics here. I tried to install to a firefox extension on my 1.0.3 release but everytime i click extention button firefox site forwards me to the newer version page 1.0.4. I downloaded the new version but can't install it ..Its a Tar.
    gz file. DO i have to compile the program first? Here is a screen shot:

TIA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast