Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Language Learning Software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Any Language Learning Software?

I'm trying to learn Italian, and I was wondering if there is any language learning software for Ubuntu.

It doesn't have to be specifically Italian, but that'd be nice

Beans

Re: Any Language Learning Software?

kvoctrain
    flashcardexchange.com

Beans

Anything else? I have the Eurotalk TalkNow but it doesn't run with Wine. Does anyone know if any of the major commercial options run on Linux or can run with Wine? This is a gaping hole in Linux right now.

Beans

I've had some success with getting Rosetta Stone working with Wine (the only problem I was really having was with non-Latin character display such as cyrillic...not a problem with italian), and Rosetta Stone/Eurotalk would definitely work in a virtual environment (provided you have a copy of windows to virtualize). Also, there is an online language trainer called Mango that might be of interest.

Beans

Apparently Rosetta Stone 2.x works fine with Wine now, but 3.x is now with Safedisk, and Safedisk is not yet supported in Wine. A bunch of things use Safedisk so they are actively working on it.

HELLO ROSETTA STONE, you just lost a sale due to Safedisk! Now I will find something else and perhaps become a loyal customer of some company that doesn't use Safedisk.

I've never tried virtualization. What do I need to do that? I do have quite a few XP licenses around here that I'm not using. I also have Win 98 I believe, if that gives me more options. Does Ubuntu now come with some kind of virtualization built-in, like this Xen thing? Can that let me run XP?

I'm going to try Mango to see how that is.

Beans

Just looked at Mango. That's a good way to go at this point. It's certainly more expensive than buying software, which usually is $30 to $100 to have it as much as you want, vs. Mango which will cost between $120 and $240 / year. But at least Mango works on Linux, or anything else, and it seems like it's well-done. It uses Flash as the interface.

Beans

In addition, the nice thing about Mango is that there is a free subscription (limited to ~50 lessons) that one could sign up for to try out their system.

For virtualization, you would need to install virtualization software such as Virtualbox, VMWare, Qemu, or others. There is also a Virtualization subforum here that you can check out for tips/tricks/solutions to problems, and has a sticky link to get started.

Beans

Hey!

Thanks for sharing this information. I think one can learn know about more about language learning softwares through the internet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.languagelearning-hub.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Try using
    www.BYKI.com
    not sure if it works i havent tested it myself but my friend says it works.
    and its free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I just started using Livemocha and it is great! Free and a lot of interaction with people from different countries. I don't think they offer italian courses yet though, but it is certainly possible to practice your italian on the chat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast