Thread: BOINC Can't find libXext.so.6 on Edgy x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

BOINC Can't find libXext.so.6 on Edgy x64

I've been with BOINC on Edgy X64. The projects refuse to run on x64 platforms <rant> and the are scientists????!! </rant>, and the x86 BIONC manager i downloaded from BOINC on the advice of another thread can't find the libXext.so.6 file.
    <output>
    john@john-desktop:~/dnload/boinc/BOINC$ ./boincmgr
    ./boincmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    john@john-desktop:~/dnload/boinc/BOINC$
    </output>

I've checked /lib, and the file is there... I've even tried copying it to the bouncmgr folder; bouncmgr still refuses to see it, and wont even give me an idea of where it expects it.
    Is there any way to get this working?

TIA,
    Blessed Be,
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: BOINC Can't find libXext.so.6 on Edgy x64

Never mind... To paraphrase a recent poster, I've killed a Gnome over a CUPS remote print server matter, so thoroughly that it was much faster just to reinstall with the x86-generic dist than try to resurrect it, so the x64 issue is gone and I've got BOINC up and running now. However, a complete, step-by-step HOW-TO on BOINC-x32 running under Ubuntu-x64 (no, these are not real packages!) might be in order anyway, if such a beast can exist. I haven't found one that worked for me yet. IMHO, the x32 dists seem more robust, and more broadly supported by software, than the x64's anyway... Oh well...
    Blessed Be,
    John

Beans

Re: BOINC Can't find libXext.so.6 on Edgy x64

I got the 32 bit BOINC to run from the home folder with Edgy64 by doing this in a terminal.

"sudo apt-get install ia32-libs"

it downloaded and installed some stuff and I did a reboot and BOINC works! I ran across that in a Team Phoenix Rising forum (http://forums.teamphoenixrising.net/...d.php?p=361923 )and I wondered if that would solve my problem and it did!

I was getting messages about "file or command not found" when I would try to start BOINC.