Thread: Axes not recognized

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Axes not recognized

When trying out my controller (logitech rumblepad 2) in any program that supports joysticks (for me, this is mostly emulators, supertux, tux racer, and the rare other thing), the buttons work fine, but the axes don't.

For instance:

pete@pete-home ~ $ zsnes

(... random crap)

Device 0 Logitech Logitech RumblePad 2 USB
    6 axis, 12 buttons, 0 hats, 0 balls

And I can't configure zsnes to use the axes (they work fine in jscalibrator, even though two axes should probably be seen as hats by zsnes, as they are configured to be hats in jscalibrator).

I've seen this problem pop up a lot before and I haven't found anything remotely close to a solution for it. Any help? I'm using packaged versions (.deb's) of just about everything.

PDK

Note: This happens in snes9x (which I don't think has axis support in linux that I've found), fceu, mame, and just about everything else. I just used zsnes as a convenient example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Axes not recognized

Super Nintendos didn't have analog axis controllers, though. they weren't supported until N64.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrocco View Post
    Super Nintendos didn't have analog axis controllers, though. they weren't supported until N64.
    Quite true, but this controller also has a 2-axis digital pad, and the games don't recognize when I press up or down on it, and it probably should, since all the other buttons are recognized. I fear that the hats aren't being recognized, even though I set the d-pad to be a hat.

My question (or questions, I guess), to those who were paying a little more attention and not veering off topic, is this:

Is this fixable? Is there a way to (reliably and relatively cleanly) hack either the games, emulators, or controller calibration to get this to work?

Failing that, is there a controller on the market that does reliably work under these situations? I mean, I like that controller, but it's only a controller.

So, any ideas?

I'm using edgy i386, jscalibrator, drivers, and all games are currently installed via .deb packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I had a similar problem that was fixed by removing the analog module:

sudo rmmod analog

It was a digital-only pad, but didn't negatively affect my other controller (Playstation controller->USB in analog mode).

(adding the line blacklist analog to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist makes that permanent)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorSeven View Post
    I had a similar problem that was fixed by removing the analog module:

sudo rmmod analog

It was a digital-only pad, but didn't negatively affect my other controller (Playstation controller->USB in analog mode).

(adding the line blacklist analog to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist makes that permanent)
    Didn't work, but thanks anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

The solution, as I've found, is to use the newest version (1.51, i believe). A .deb package can be found with a little searching.