Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Show Us Your Server

Quote Originally Posted by Titi View Post
    huh, why do you all have servers? am i the only one around here that just has a computer, nothing more? i don't even think i know anyone with his own server. really, what's it for?
    Well, I'm a web developer, and I use my server to test websites that I've created on before I hand them over to clients. I also use it for compiling, so that it slows the server down, and not my main desktop.
    The Glukkon's were scared because profits were grim. Paramites and Scrabs had been turning out thin.
    But Molluck was cool, he had a plan. This new kind of meat? It was us! - Abe's Oddysey

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I use my servers for a lot of things:
    1) hosting my personal site(s), randomskk.net randomskk.com and a few others
    2) hosting some friend's sites
    3) Jabber server for IM (talk to gTalk users)
    4) IRC server for some friends
    5) email server for my websites
    6) backup server, ie file storage

Now and again I find other fun uses too.
    "Rest not, time is sweeping by. Go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is what I call my server. It's really more of a media center, but it serves a number of server purposes such as samba and nfs file sharing, and runs a minimal webserver. I use it for MythTV, playing music, and note the Gamecube next to it, I also use it for playing console games with tvtime.

Specs:
    512 MB RAM (I'd add another stick, but for some reason my motherboard won't recognize it)
    Intel Celeron D 2.93 Ghz processor
    400 GB software RAID
    Savage S3 Graphics
    Plextor ConvertX TV-402U (Primary TV tuner)
    Sabrent TV-FM tuner (Secondary TV tuner, mainly used for gaming)

The thing I like to brag about the most with regard to this machine is the price. I got the case, motherboard, power supply, CPU, fan and 512 MB RAM for $120 after rebate on tigerdirect (the rebate was a bit of a hassle, but I got it). I had 160 GB of disk space, the sabrent tuner and the graphics card from an old computer, the rest I've added since I built it. I replaced the fan that came bundled with it, and took some random piece off of the case because they were noisy, which sucks for a dorm room. All told I've put less than $600 into this machine, and it's as nice as some machines I've seen people pay well over a thousand for.

I'd take it apart and show it's innards, but I'm trying to see how much uptime I can get, and I don't want to take it apart while it's on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Ohhhh GameCube
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

Red face Re: Show Us Your Server

All told I've put less than $600 into this machine, and it's as nice as some machines I've seen people pay well over a thousand for.
    $600!! And that would be US dollars.....mamamia!

My server cost:
    CPU: P4-1.6 - $40 from 2nd hand computer shop
    40 gig laptop hdd for the OS - free, had bad sectors, fixed.
    200g hdd for file storage - $129 new
    Mainboard - free, was to be thrown out, I fixed it (see the pics)
    the rest is made up of salvaged/repaired/parts lying around the workshop.
    Total: $169

My main system cost the most:

CPU: P4 3.2 Prescott - free from an upgrade I did (long story!)
    Mainboard: $65 from ebay
    80 gig hdd - free, has bad sectors at start of drive, but works well
    1 gig RAM $70
    Nvidia 6600gt video card $180 from ebay (xmas present from wife)
    Sony G500 21" screen - free from salvage pile at 2nd hand computer shop - fixed
    DVD burner: $95
    All the rest is made from stuff lying around the workshop.
    Total: $410

Oh and I also get 40 gigs/month free on my 512/256 link as I am a re-seller for their service 8).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Here is a pic of my room after I moved back in with the 'rents. Yes, I moved back. I just need to get ahead for a few years. Living on my own was great but I was 18 and I did it improperly. Anyways... my server is circled obviously with a Linksys wirless G router and 5-port switch. Not shown is my Cisco Airbus 3500 Wireless gateway and main system.

My server runs a Ventrillo server, IRC server, shoutcast server, and web server. It's currently down right now. I'm going to load Ubuntu Server once I get off work tomorrow. I had Trustix on it temporarily just to test it out. I think that's the best thing of multiple systems is the flexibility of them. The lack of fear of being without a computer. At least for me I fear not having a computer if I mess something up... Anywho, also in this picture you will see a very small portion of the piles of random computer hardware I have. In that pile is my old smoothwall and firewall servers too.

Now hmm... who else has their own servers but then pays for another host on top of that? I've found my own servers to serve information I am trying to put out there isn't as reliable as a dedicated allocated hosting location so I've got myself paying $50/month for a host on top of my server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My €69,- webserver, running Ubuntu-server 8)
    My weblog on my Ubuntu webserver ...

Beans

This is the first thread that I have ever seen that has been getting into my **** is smaller than your ****!!

Sure is different than the who cares, spend spend spend if you want everyone else to think that your **** is as big as their's.
    Last edited by handy; January 15th, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

nice fan placement dada
    This is the dumbest error I found in bios
    "Error Keyboard Failure Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup
    Amd Athlon 64 2800+, 1gb Ram, ATI Radeon HD3650 512mb, Western digital 160gb Segate 80gb, Gigabyte GaK8NS ,Cameron

Beans

I have one general backup, batch processing, compiling and download server. It saves my main computer from having to do intensive jobs.

Specs
    AMD K-7 533Mhz
    128MB RAM
    HD 4.3 GB(OS) and 20GB(Storage)

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast