View Poll Results: What do you (like to) do on Ubuntu?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • General purpose stuff (e-mail, docs, etc...)

123 93.18%
  • Mutimedia

96 72.73%
  • Games!

44 33.33%
  • Programming (for personal use and/or fun)

65 49.24%
  • Developing (for a group/organization)

17 12.88%
  • Other (please specify)

21 15.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you (like to) do on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What do you (like to) do on Ubuntu?

I was just curious about what the general Ubuntu user does, or likes to do with Ubuntu. If I missed anything you happen to do a lot, go ahead and post it! And please excuse my overuse of parens. Have fun!
    thall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What do you (like to) do on Ubuntu?

Currently I'm using it for general use as a family pc. It's running Edubuntu which the kids have quickly attuned themselves to.

I'm also trying to get my camcorder to hook up to Kino, and I got my iPod updatable via gtkpod, plus there are the pictures scanned in of / created by the kids.

I am looking to fool around with Python, but I have no intention to install Mono and Monodevelop on this system because ( a ) it's slow, and ( b ) it'll unnecessary bloat the system and the primary users are the kids.

When I get a system for myself I'll probably see about some additional programming in Mono (I'm using VB.NET at work).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

Cool beans! BTW, what is mono?
    thall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I started to use ubuntu a week ago, and so far I have been able to do everything I wanted;
    Surf the web with Opera (used it for a long time) and got most of the plug-ins to work.
    Gmail-notifier for my mails
    Chat (Gaim)
    Listen to music (using Amarok)
    Games (managed to get World of Warcraft working trough wine)
    Learning to use the terminal and linux in general, it's fun!

I voted general stuff and games

Actually I still haven't logged into my windows partition since I installed Ubuntu.. that's nice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

there are a lot of threads where these points are already discussed or discussing.

Beans
    Distro

That's neat. I like Amarok alright, I had been looking for an iTunes replacement (Windows convert here, too) and Amarok seemed like a good one. I like the BASH terminal a lot better than the Windows shell. AND what is wine? (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know it's not an emulator) Is it open source?
    thall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

general purpose, multimedia all the usual stuff

now, the interesting bit

i recently set up vmware server and installed windows on it. i've not added any AV or firewall to it and i'm using IE, its soo much fun to watch it die. and it dies quickly. first test with regular surfing it took 2 hours to die. after restoring from a snapshot i done a bit more dubious browsing and it died in only 30 minutes. it was funny. then i got bored and installed feisty fawn on it which was remarkable more stable under identical conditions even though its a pre-alpha.

Beans
    Distro

i recently set up vmware server and installed windows on it. i've not added any AV or firewall to it and i'm using IE, its soo much fun to watch it die. and it dies quickly. first test with regular surfing it took 2 hours to die. after restoring from a snapshot i done a bit more dubious browsing and it died in only 30 minutes. it was funny. then i got bored and installed feisty fawn on it which was remarkable more stable under identical conditions even though its a pre-alpha.
    Now THAT is funny!!! That's one way to shoot the breeze!
    thall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I use it for basic things such as web browsing, email, instant messaging, music, and photo organizing. The combination of GNOME + Clearlooks + Bluecurve icons + Beryl make it an absolute joy to use for everyday tasks.

Aside from those basic needs, I also use it to experiment with minor interface modifications, such as removing the minimize and maximize/restore buttons (no longer necessary with the 'scale' feature), as well as trying different menus, docks, icons, themes, colors, fonts, panel positions, item arrangements, widgets/gadgets/desklets, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My favoret thing to do is install Ubuntu. I love setting up a new system, getting it ready for some new user. I try to get everything woking just they way they will like it so they can jump on and it will work right out of the box. They still learn how to make changes and tweek things, but they don't get as frustrated as they would doing the instal themselves. I use to re-load Windows every 6 months. I find myself re-loading Ubuntu every other month, just to start over. How geeky is that?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast