Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to start programming - guides and links for many languages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: How to start programming - guides and links for many languages

a good object orientated progamming tutorial http://sep.stanford.edu/sep/jon/family/jos/oop/oop1.htm

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hi,

I just wanted to add that in my experience, the single most important part of learning to program is to have a problem that you want to solve before you decide to start learning to program. I myself started and stopped learning several times as I just wanted to know how to program but had not thought out why I wanted to learn in the first place. Apart from the wealth of knowledge these guys are offering, you must find a concrete source of motivation or you will stop learning at the first road block you come to.

Stay motivated, learning is always a good thing.

Michael

Beans

C#

Why?
    • Tons of job opportunities.
    • Nobody has posted it here before
    • Very similar to Java.
    • Object Oriented.
    • Great IDEs available for it.

Why not?
    • Most jobs will be Windows development.
    • Last time I checked average salaries were lower than for Java developers.

IDEs

Useful links

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

PHP

From php.net: PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.

Why?
    • It's easy to learn.
    • It's easy to find cheap PHP hosting for your site. If you develop with Ruby, Java, or Python, you will probably have to spend more money.
    • Lots of PHP scripts are available: content management systems, forum scripts, picture galleries, blog scripts etc. Most of them are open source.
    • Very large number of users. It's the most popular programming language for developing web applications.
    • Object-oriented programming is optional, but well supported.
    Why not?
    • Companies prefer Java or .NET.
    • It's very easy to write messy unmaintanable code.
    IDEs
    But any text editor with syntax highlighting is good enough for PHP programming.

How to Install Apache + PHP5

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache2 libapache2-mod-php5
    To verify your installation, you can run following script:
    Code:
    <?php
    echo phpinfo();
    Save it as /var/www/phpinfo.php and point your browser to http://localhost/phpinfo.php You should see a lot of information about your PHP installation.
    More about setting up a server: https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...e/C/index.html

Learning and Reference Resources
    There are lots of PHP resources on the web because PHP is immensely popular. You'll find many others yourself.

Frameworks

If you already know how to program:Scripts
    Last edited by mörgæs; December 7th, 2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Removed PHP 4

Beans

Very nice thread
    I am glad I checked the ubuntu forums instead of trying to dig through google's results.
    Thank you very much

WW is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

In the post about C, this page is suggested: http://www.faqs.org/docs/learnc/

It turns out that the examples in this tutorial are riddled with errors. I don't think this tutorial should be recommended.

Beans

The third linked C++ tutorial is nice but I keep getting a warning error when I compile its examples;
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <iostream> instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
    In summary, it's saying that <iostream.h> is deprecated. Could this particular tutorial be outdated?

Beans
    Hidden!

Kingsley,

Yes the tutorial is outdated, but this isn't a discussion thread.

If you would repost your problem in a new thread, I'm sure people will help you out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WW View Post
    In the post about C, this page is suggested: http://www.faqs.org/docs/learnc/

It turns out that the examples in this tutorial are riddled with errors. I don't think this tutorial should be recommended.
    Which ones?
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

WW is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

runningwithscissors: Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=396904
    In particular, see my post on the second page.

EDIT: Here are some more specifc details of problems in that tutorial. I started browsing in Section 5.
    Code:
    Section 5.3, Example 5-2: more missing semicolons.
    Section 5.5, Example 5-3: missing #include <stdio.h>
    Section 6.3, Example 6-1: index is out-of-bounds
    Section 6.4, Example 6-2: In the for statement, the last character should be ), not }
    Section 6.8, Example 6-4: 1. Declaration of 'name' in the Person struct is not correct; it should be
                                   char name[40];
                              2. Initialization of hero is not correct; should be
                                   struct Person hero = {"Robin Hood", 20, 191};
                              3. Code declares the variable sidekick but uses john
                              4. Missing semicolon after
                                   john.name = "John Little"
                              5. Character arrays can not be assigned with a statement such as
                                   john.name = "John Little";
                                 One way to fix this is to use
                                   strncpy(john.name,"John Little",39);
                                 (But one should also be aware of how strncpy handles null-terminated strings.)
                                 If strncpy is used, add #include <string.h> at the top of the file.
    Section 9.3, Example 9-1: The program prints the squares of the numbers 2 through 12, not 0 through 9 as the
                              author claims.
    Last edited by WW; April 14th, 2007 at 06:09 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast