Thread: HOWTO: Setting up Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

Beans
    Hidden!

HOWTO: Setting up Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

EDIT: With Ubuntu 7.04 it works out-of-the-box !!

Here is a simple guide for those of you who wants to use your Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 (an external MPEG2 tuner) on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). This will allow you to use e.g. MythTV.

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 needs a driver and the driver needs a copy of the firmware to communicate correctly with the device. Mike Isely is the masterful maintainer of the driver. Read more about PVRUSB2 at http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html . You can get the necessary firmware from http://ivtvdriver.org .

This guide involves three steps:
    1) Config and build upgraded kernel in Ubuntu to enable the PVRUSB2 driver
    2) Downloading and extracting firmware
    3) Verify the setup

Config and build upgraded kernel in Ubuntu to enable the PVRUSB2 driver
    The PVRUSB2 driver for Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 is available directly in the kernel since 2.6.18. To build an upgraded kernel you should use this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158 . However, when you reach step 6 (config the kernel) you must enable the PVRUSB2 driver by answering M or Y to the following options:
    CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2=m
    CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_24XXX=y
    CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_SYSFS=y
    CONFIG_VIDEO_PVRUSB2_DEBUGIFC=y

Finish the guide.

Downloading and extracting firmware
    After building and rebooting with the upgraded kernel you must download and extract firmware. Use the following steps:
    Code:
    sudo -s -H
    mkdir /lib/firmware/`uname -r`
    cd /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/
    wget http://dl.ivtvdriver.org/ivtv/firmware/firmware.tar.gz
    tar zxvf firmware.tar.gz
    Verify the setup
    Before installing MythTV you should verify that PVRUSB2 and the firmware communicates with your hardware.
    You can use mplayer. If you do not have mplayer installed use:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mplayer
    Then you should get input (snow or picture) with this command:
    Code:
    mplayer /dev/video0
    Your hardware should now work so you can proceed with installing e.g. MythTV.

Good luck. The hyperlinks include further information if you need to debug.
    Last edited by thing; July 22nd, 2007 at 01:59 PM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Setting up Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)

I've managed to get the WinTV-PVR-USB2 working with ubuntu and mplayer however after an install of mythtv, I can't get any audio when I try to watch live TV. Audio still works through mplayer, but won't work through Mythtv.

Did you have to do anything special to get your tuner to work with myth?

Cheers
    eRflol

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

i got the usb2 running with a hand baken 2.6.19.2 kernel (drivers are included). unfortunately there's no VBI support with this driver and so noch channel scan is possible.

any ideas about that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by thing
    Here is a simple guide for those of you who wants to use your Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 (an external MPEG2 tuner) on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft). This will allow you to use e.g. MythTV.
    Can you please add a snapshot of your product "Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2" on your original "HowTo" post?

It is always better to add a picture of the product you are talking about...

Thanks.

P.S.1> If you don't know how to do this:

1. visit the site: www.photobucket.com

2. Create an account inside that site.

3. Upload your product's picture in that site.
    Note: If you don't have a picture of your product, you can search for one in the internet.

4. Under the list of all your uploaded pictures:

a. Click on the right of the box named "IMG Code" & the text named "[I M G]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/your_account_name/your_picture's_name.png[/I M G]" will be selected.

b. Perform a copy (on the selected text) & paste it inside your original post.

P.S.2> I also added your product on the Ubuntu wiki Hardware Page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...ppauge#preview

IF you happen to know the details missing (on some of those cells) please edit that Page & add the necessary info.
    In the future, if you happen to own other Hardware & have added a post inside the "Faqs, Howto, Tips & Tricks" section of Ubuntu Forums, on how to make it work, please don't forget to add it also in the wiki.
    Last edited by dvarsam; January 20th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
    Moderation is very strong in these Forums.
    Soon you will find yourself not being able to create any posts.
    As a result, you will be "forced" to request a "delete my account."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anybody had any luck getting this to work with the 29xxx series? I built the kernel answering "Y" to the options stated above. Afterwards, I extracted the firmware using your instructions but even after a restart. It doesn't work for me. I built kernel version 2.6.18-8.

Edit: I got it working by building kernel version 2.6.19.7 chosing all the options you said above except one. You have to say "N" to 24xxx and say "m" to 29xxx option instead. After that I extracted the firmware using instructions from here.
    Last edited by cborga1985; June 8th, 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added information

Beans
    Hidden!

Guide now updated for Ubuntu 7.04

Beans

What steps do I exactly need to do to get this to work in feisty? Just extract the firmware? I did this and with tvtime it says there is no signal. Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ep3w View Post
    What steps do I exactly need to do to get this to work in feisty? Just extract the firmware? I did this and with tvtime it says there is no signal. Am I missing something?
    TVtime does not support mpeg2. To test it do mplayer /dev/video0 in terminal. Also, Iextracted the firmware from the drivers because the firmware at ivtv did not work for me.
    Last edited by cborga1985; October 24th, 2007 at 04:19 PM.