Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Order Large amount of CD's.. How?

Beans

Order Large amount of CD's.. How?

I want to order a large amount of Ubuntu CD's via http://shipit.ubuntu.com . Im thinking 100 or 200.
    How do I do this?

The reason I want so many, is because Microsoft is sending a guy out to my university, giving away Windows Vista free to all the students. I want to be there giving away Ubuntu at the same time.

So how do I order these large amounts of cd's?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Order Large amount of CD's.. How?

Click the thing for 6.06 LTS. Log into Launchpad. Click on "special request" midway down the page (under the part about 5 or 10 or whatever cds) and type in how many you want. It takes 10 weeks though. You may be better off getting a few friends to lend the use of their cd burners and going on a mad cd-burning spree if it's coming up soon.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Thanks!

Beans

I just want to say, I wish you luck and hope some people take it. Also if they are giving away vista, maybe you could pick me up a copy and send it to me. Or I could just get it through MSDN or whatever it is later.

*I want it only for testing purposes, I have no desire to leave ubuntu other then to occasionally play CoD.
    Last edited by Xzallion; January 7th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.
    There was a sig here, now its gone.

Beans

I could do with a copy as well, I need a new dartboard target.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tutu 1234 View Post
    I could do with a copy as well, I need a new dartboard target.
    Just had to say that made me laugh. Hmmm if you got multiple cd's maybe you could go skeet shooting using them as the targets...
    There was a sig here, now its gone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers View Post
    I want to order a large amount of Ubuntu CD's via http://shipit.ubuntu.com . Im thinking 100 or 200.
    How do I do this?

The reason I want so many, is because Microsoft is sending a guy out to my university, giving away Windows Vista free to all the students. I want to be there giving away Ubuntu at the same time.

So how do I order these large amounts of cd's?

Thanks
    My advice is : don't do it. Even in business, it's not good for a relatively unknown brand to be launched adjacent to a household name, i.e. Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, as Windows will probably overshadow it.

One of Ubuntu's biggest advantages is it's zero cost. Since Vista's effective cost to these students is also zero, you've just nulled it out.

Sure, you are saying, but what about free as in speech? Well, that depends on the mindset of the students. Some might care, some might not give a damn.

If the students are similar to my school's students, i.e. people who use their computers for gaming exclusively, then, Ubuntu is not going to look good compared to Vista. And they will probably never see Linux as a viable alternative again.

Now, what if you hear them complaining about problems with their Vista installation two months after they recieve the CD? Simple, just hand them an Ubuntu CD. That way, you don't need to order in bulk, and the CDs will go to people who need them.
    Last edited by Lord Illidan; January 7th, 2007 at 10:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    My advice is : don't do it. Even in business, it's not good for a relatively unknown brand to be launched adjacent to a household name, i.e. Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, as Windows will probably overshadow it.

One of Ubuntu's biggest advantages is it's zero cost. Since Vista's effective cost to these students is also zero, you've just nulled it out.

Sure, you are saying, but what about free as in speech? Well, that depends on the mindset of the students. Some might care, some might not give a damn.

If the students are similar to my school's students, i.e. people who use their computers for gaming exclusively, then, Ubuntu is not going to look good compared to Vista. And they will probably never see Linux as a viable alternative again.

Now, what if you hear them complaining about problems with their Vista installation two months after they recieve the CD? Simple, just hand them an Ubuntu CD. That way, you don't need to order in bulk, and the CDs will go to people who need them.
    ditto. very well said.

Beans

When all that Vista hype cools down and people get bored the press will need something new to write about and that's when Linux should make a big publicty move. I'm not saying that we shouldn't compete with Vista right now, just that it'll be much easier to get the attention a few months down the line. Hopefully there will be some serious security flaws when Windows is released but I dont know if that's something we can rely on. The more Linux cd's there are in circulation the better though.
    Last edited by Johnsie; January 7th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.

Beans

Maybe you right Lord Illidan.

My idea was to show the students that there are other options.

As it is now, a guy from Microsoft will show up and give away Vista with no compatition..

I think a lot of people will go for a dual boot, as we do study computer science, and thats all I want them to do.. try it out

If they like vista better, they probably should use that.. but I think some people might choose Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast