View Poll Results: Should Automatix be included in Ubuntu by default?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 37.70%
  • No

76 62.30%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Automatix be included in Ubuntu by default?

Beans

Re: Should Automatix be included in Ubuntu by default?

I agree with aysiu who agrees with Bloch.

That warning actually kept me from using automatix at first, then I found out it did something which I needed, so I used it anyway, and it worked fine for me. Thanx arnieboy.
    It solved my problem so easy, I don't even remember what it was.

A more toned down version would be better, maybe something like:

It has come to our attention, that the IRC #ubuntu offer obsolete and misleading information regarding Automatix. Please do not use #ubuntu regarding questions related to automatix.
    Maybe ad some places that are good for questions about automatix...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would prefer a list of packages to add for the codecs etc so i could do it myself. The wiki is to disorganised for my liking.
    I like that idea a lot. Just a text file waiting for you in the home directory after install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX View Post
    It has come to our attention, that the IRC #ubuntu offer obsolete and misleading information regarding Automatix. Please do not use #ubuntu regarding questions related to automatix.
    Beautifully put =D>

I think that the Automatix team should seriously consider this replacement text.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

IRC is not a reliable source of helpful information in my experience. For example, mods will frequently take what people say out of context in order to derive offense and sarcasm that was not meant. I suggest people avoid IRC.

I also voted "no" on the general principle that I think there are already enough installers by default as it is, and adding more would just add more unwelcome complexity.

arnieboy Guest

Let me make a few things clear for the folks who have invested time and energy in reading this thread, thinking about it and posting in it:
    1) The number of folks who have voted on this thread till now is approximately equal to how many times Automatix gets downloaded every half an hour across this planet.
    2) The Automatix team already has its hands full developing Automatix, maintaining it, answering support questions, and doing REAL research on what users really want (which is why Automatix gets downloaded and used as many times as it does).
    3) We frankly do not have the time to deal with FUD, and the various issues arising out of it, especially questions like "Hey I was told on #ubuntu that Automatix broke my system. Can you tell me how that happened?" OR in certain cases: "You guys SUCK! They told me so on #Ubuntu" even before we get time to explain that it was a rotten kernel package which the revered Ubuntu Team did not get enough time to test and which resulted in their Dapper to Edgy breakage AND were desperately looking for a scapegoat especially since Ubuntu has been Number 1 on Distrowatch for so long AND they all want it to stay that way.
    4) Ubuntu has come a long way since it was born and the fact that it is where it is, is partly because of Automatix. It is a known fact and is acknowledged even by the toughest naysayers. Somewhere down the line when the original creator of Automatix refused to get in line with the rest of the folks who control Ubuntu because he chose to follow his own path, all hell broke loose and since then, the pettiness hasn't stopped. But then, all forms of politics are petty as they are juicy as many of our friends will agree.
    As for the rest who do not care, keep enjoying the fruits of our labor.
    We appreciate your continued patronage.
    -Arnie
    Last edited by arnieboy; January 7th, 2007 at 07:36 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So you're not going to take BuffaloX's suggestion?

arnieboy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    So you're not going to take BuffaloX's suggestion?
    We didn't say we wouldn't. We actually appreciate his rephrasing our statement.
    Last edited by arnieboy; January 7th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arnieboy View Post
    We didnt say we wouldn't. We actually appreciate his rephrasing our statement.
    Awesome. That's great to hear.

By the way, I don't use Automatix (I did one time), but I appreciate all the hard work you do. Keep it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If I were a clever person I could use code via the Terminal, but I am not. Therefore I use Automatix2 which works great on my system.
    A very BIG thank you to all the Automatix2 developers for their dedication and hard work in giving the likes of me a supper programme with continuous updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Automatix "misinformation"?

I'd like to see it, and EasyUbuntu, included in future Ubuntu releases by default.
    Registered Linux User #438830 | Registered Ubuntu User #10897

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast