64 39.75%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

he is taking votes for which GUI email client to use.

you know what he means, you are just giving him a hard time.
    Last edited by Polygon; January 6th, 2007 at 11:30 PM.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I guess I missed the part where it said GUI only. Maybe you can point me to it. I'm just adding my opinion that I think mutt is a better choice then claws or thunderbird. I really don't see the harm in that. I guess my opinion it not wanted. I didn't mean to offend you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes you took the words right out of my mouth

Although, i might agree as a console email client, mutt should be included in any distribution of Ubuntu.

However is GUI email clients that i'm trying to discuss here, since i think that thunderbird is far from being an optimal solution for Xubuntu, I'm proposing Claws mail. I'm open to discussing other GUI email clients that can be more lightweight than thunderbird. I suggested Claws Email because it is the more lightweight GUI Email Client that i know, that is most actively mantained by the official Ubuntu repositories, and Claws author's even provided repositories for Ubuntu dapper and Edgy of the latest versions. Those reasons make it ideal for being deployed in the next Xubuntu release, in my opinion.

However i want to see people opinions on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post

you know what he means, you are just giving him a hard time.

Beans

Hi,

As a developer of Claws Mail, I have to say I'd strongly support such a decision , and by support I also mean help the Xubuntu team to provide a great user experience.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

http://www.xubuntu.org/devel

Join our mailing list and post out that you are interested so we can start making steps to keep in contact/collaborate.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I like Claws Mail as it feels like two times as fast as Thunderbird. However, there are two important drawbacks I'd ask to be overcome before it is used as the default client:

• The current support for html mails is incomplete. I don't send any html mails but some mails I receive are not detected as html and in fact reading source code is not very convenient.
    • Claws Mail doesn't use the user's Gtk+2 theme and preinstalled themes don't even include Tango.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,

I want to have them both by default. The trick to acceptance is usually that it is not forces and goes slowly but stable. If we take away Thunderbird the step from windows to Linux would be more difficult that is not a good thing. So keep Thunderbird in it. However I am in favor of a replacement of Thunderbird because I don't stand behind the technic's used for it, GTK is much better. But I need all the functionality of Thunderbird to just be able to work with it. It it already a treat of between evolution and Thunderbird.

So to conclude don't remove Thunderbird, add Claws Mail. Let it improve and be accepted then there may be a option to remove Thunderbird.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kalikiana View Post
    • The current support for html mails is incomplete. I don't send any html mails but some mails I receive are not detected as html and in fact reading source code is not very convenient.
    • Claws Mail doesn't use the user's Gtk+2 theme and preinstalled themes don't even include Tango.
    Regarding support for html mails being incomplete. Claws Mail does not send HTML mail, it's plaintext only. This is only thing that qualifies its html mail support as incomplete. When receiving an html mail Claws will, by default, strip out the html tags, make any links clickable, and render the message as plaintext. However, there are 2 plugins which will show the html like a webpage, with all the formatting. They are the Dillo Browser plugin and the gtkhtml2_viewer plugin.

Regarding your other point, on the contrary, Claws does use the user's Gtk+ 2 theme. The icons used by Claws are handled by Claws, but they are themeable. There are 2 Claws icon themes available that are based on Tango, they are TangoClaws and TangoOrbit and are available from the Claws site.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TuxCrafter View Post
    But I need all the functionality of Thunderbird to just be able to work with it.
    Claws is fully-featured, I think you'll find all the same functionality, possibly more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by daWB View Post
    Claws is fully-featured, I think you'll find all the same functionality, possibly more.
    I do not agree with that, I have tested claws for a week, and I find it not yet ready for a production machine there are to many things that just do not behave as aspected also the look of the program does not really appeal. I now there are lot of things that you can do about it. But it will not make me work faster or better, so no reason to switch over. I am not going to defend all my statements it is just to much work. But I will say geep going to improve it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast