97 60.25%
  • Mozilla Thunderbird

64 39.75%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Beans

Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

Quote Originally Posted by racoq View Post
    It seems like the majority of people want claws mail in Xubuntu. But the people in charge of the project are no willing to accept that change, and there isn't anyone, who is willing to take responsibility in maintaining claws mail with upload rights, the following entry in the mailing list is still a issue:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xu...ry/002916.html

I think that Claws deserves a little more attention.

So does a lot of other applications. Linux itsself is great, stable, and better than MS. But on the application side MS is still way ahead of the game. The only complete applications that I see is (everyday use) Openoffice.org and Firefox.

The applications directly reflect what the developers want, not what the users want or could do to increase productivity. This not a slam, just "what is" as I see it after using linux for the last 6 months or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have tested claws mail for 2 weeks with xubuntu and imap system, I found to many issues that prevented me from working efficient with this mail client. Until they fix those issues or promise that they will work extremely hard to solve the problems. And also solve problems the developers do not see as a problem but a user can. It will not become the default mail program!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TuxCrafter View Post
    I have tested claws mail for 2 weeks with xubuntu and imap system, I found to many issues that prevented me from working efficient with this mail client. Until they fix those issues or promise that they will work extremely hard to solve the problems. And also solve problems the developers do not see as a problem but a user can. It will not become the default mail program!
    You are talking of only a feature, as it would be all the applications that is the problem, i work with Claws mail every day, and i find it very useful for everyday tasks.

Even if there is a problem in that feature (that i don't use), it would be addressed by the Claws mail staff, since they offered that support to work hard to eliminate all the flaws that claws mail can have, in order to increase Xubuntu users experience. You don't get better support than this, from the Thunderbird staff. We should take advantage of this.

The issue is not one or two flaws, as it was referred earlier, Claws mail needs a user with upload rights, in order to update frequently Claws mail releases, instead of synchronizing with debian, maybe work closely sometimes with the Claws mail development team, and other issues that can come with.

Please understand that.

P.S.
    I do not belong to Claws development team, and am not related to anyone of them. I only think that a lightweight distro like Xubuntu, deserves a better alternative than Thunderbird

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I like Sylpheed. Has anyone considered that one?
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

You seem to keep saying this kind of thing, but will not explain in more clarity. I responded to each of the points that you previously raised to try to get some kind of clearer response from you, some greater detail - things can't be fixed if all we have to go on is the equivalent of "it don't work right".

Many of the issues that you pointed out before are non-issues, unless you take the extremely subjective view. I suspect, even, that it's not so much to do with any issues as it is to do with the fact that you have a personal preference for thunderbird.

Beans

Until they fix those issues or promise that they will work extremely hard to solve the problems
    I promise to work extremely hard to solve your problems once you paid me extremely well for whatever amount of time I need to solve your problems.

What the hell, did you read your post before sending it? The world's not kneeled before you, you know.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I don't want to hassle everyone. I am a good guy and you do good work. I don't have a special preference for thunderbird. (I really dislike emulated gui's that are slow!)

So lets work together and make clawsmail the best lightweight mail client.

I will address one problem at a time and. If we can tackle one problem in 2 weeks than within a year I think we can make a new default mail client!

If you can give me all the info you want to fit me in your development en debug process!

Like:
    Development reports and lists
    Testing reports
    Debug reports
    etcetera

Than we can begin this week.
    If the process is good, i will maintain the ubuntu package for a while!

Beans
    Distro

Sent this to xubuntu-devel

Code:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2219597#post2219597
    http://www.claws-mail.org/

Hello guy's,

There have been a lot of heated discussions about the default mail client for xubuntu.

Clawsmail vs Thunderbird

I believe that Thunderbird is on this moment the best client for the normal non geek user and clawsmail need a lot of work. But there are people that disagree with that, so I tried to convince them. But they are fanatic and want more information (I like that, means they stand behind what the do!) 

So I made a decision's. I will be the package maintainer for the next 3 or 2 releases of xubuntu. Then we will come together again and decide if clawsmail is user friendly enough to become the default mail client for xubuntu.

I will work together with the clawsmail developers to address problems and do debugging and feature request etcetera.

What do you people think of it!

Beans

Not sure whether I'm to say something on that as I am just "another user", but actually I switched from Thunderbird to Claws some time ago (read all the reasons why here if you're interested). My basic "issues" with Thunderbird, outlined in a rather short way:

- It's heavy on memory, even with little extensions installed. Given that Xubuntu aims at being "lightweight", burning > 256M RAM (on my machine) for an _MUA_ is not the way to go. Claws is lighter here.

- Thunderbird also seems to be somewhat broken on IMAP, not just talking about a known bug with IMAP on HT/DualCore CPUs. I don't consider the idea of leaving _all_ the mail marked as deleted on the server not really that user friendly given the user doesn't know about the "gory details" of IMAP and one day wonders why his/her mailspool is full.

- Junk filtering (given bogofilter is installed) is _way_ more usable on Claws than on Thunderbird.

Just my €0.02 on that.
    Kris

Beans

Question Re: Xubuntu, default Email Client

How does Sylpheed compare to Thunderbird and Claws Mail? I would think Sylpheed is more mature than Claws Mail but I might be wrong. Anyone willing to explain?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast