Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has the Desktop Linux Bubble Burst?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Has the Desktop Linux Bubble Burst?

If you want to gripe, type some code or shell out some money for someone who can. I agree that both need some big names funding them. Maybe there should be more stories on why big business should give money instead of gripping about products that are free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There are unmaintained pieces of software out there. But KDE and GNOME are not what I would call unmaintained.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by darrenm View Post
    Vista may not be XP in a shell suit but its still not a great deal better.

People get taken with eye candy and the biggest pull to Linux desktop useage and Ubuntu is particular is Beryl/GL which completely embarrasses Aero. Now its getting very stable very quickly and there isn't a lot left for Ubuntu to do to make sure everything but games work then suddenly it all looks a lot rosier.

I can't speak for KDE but Gnome has had a lot of behind the scenes work done recently. Anyone could change the major rev number if they wanted to.
    I agree with this. XP has been around without any changes to it's interface for more than five years, while Gnome and KDE trudge forward, with small, but significant steps. I also don't know how you can call OSX fast, and certainly, that word does not apply to Vista. Try running any of them on a 500MHZ machine with less than 512 MB RAM, and compare with Xfce or Fluxbox in Linux and you will see what I mean.
    Other than looking nice, I also dont' see where significant improvements in function have come along in any interface, except to make certain features more available on the desktop (the trashcan? come on !), which doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

Bill Gates said last month that he thinks the next big change should be to get rid of the mouse and keyboard by making more use of touch screen technology, speech recognition, etc.
    I actually thing that would be a better direction to go with Linux interfaces if we want to see real movement. What is so great about a rotating 3D cube to change desktops? Most of the time I don't even use more than one of the 2D desktops.
    "Help stop software piracy...use Linux. and FOSS!"
    What's better than whining on the forums? Making a difference!

Beans

Linux isn't going in any particular direction...These are individual projects. Beryl isn't part of Linux. Linux is only the kernel. all the rest is independent
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by doobit View Post
    I agree with this. XP has been around without any changes to it's interface for more than five years, while Gnome and KDE trudge forward, with small, but significant steps. I also don't know how you can call OSX fast, and certainly, that word does not apply to Vista. Try running any of them on a 500MHZ machine with less than 512 MB RAM, and compare with Xfce or Fluxbox in Linux and you will see what I mean.
    Other than looking nice, I also dont' see where significant improvements in function have come along in any interface, except to make certain features more available on the desktop (the trashcan? come on !), which doesn't seem like such a big deal to me.

Bill Gates said last month that he thinks the next big change should be to get rid of the mouse and keyboard by making more use of touch screen technology, speech recognition, etc.
    I actually thing that would be a better direction to go with Linux interfaces if we want to see real movement. What is so great about a rotating 3D cube to change desktops? Most of the time I don't even use more than one of the 2D desktops.
    On Googlevideo there is a great video about a guy with a touchscreen running Compiz. To change virtual desktops, for example, he touches the edge of the screen, thus rotating the cube. Search for it, it is the future.

Also on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQkSObRtw0o

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    not trying to be confrontational here, but don't you think it's a little unfair to accuse the author of being impatient when you admittedly weren't patient enough to read his argument?
    I suppose so. But I never say anywhere that being impatient is bad I run Ubuntu because I'm impatient. I run Feisty because I'm impatient. I want the world of Linux to do everything fantastic yesterday

I don't really accuse him of being impatient though, accusing implies it being wrong. I'm just saying that the title of the article would have been more accurate if it was "Am I Impatient?" which of course would be yes. Instead he just uses a sensational title to get people to read it. Which seems to have worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Burst before it ever bubbled. The (small amount of) media coverage Linux received, specific to the desktop, while Vista stalled is probably over. In the US, improvements in KDE or Gnome, or the lack there of, will make little difference in home user desktop share. 2007 will be all about Vista; Leopard's release and the resultant marketing competition will result in more words being published about proprietary software and even fewer about open source.
    Last edited by Spano; January 4th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Beans

I think the article's author is a complete ***-hat. I read through his arguments and it just appears, to me, that he is talking trash about something he understands little about and has little interest in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rayker View Post
    I think the article's author is a complete ***-hat. I read through his arguments and it just appears, to me, that he is talking trash about something he understands little about and has little interest in.
    if you search a web forum or a blog in general you will see that few people really know what they're talking about. especially in the computer world. so i guess we can all excuse him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12