Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Solve VMWare sound (mixing?) problem once and for all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Solve VMWare sound (mixing?) problem once and for all

Did you somehow change the permission of vmware-vmx(or vmware-vmx.real if you followed my post)? You should make sure that it is suid. Also check if you have followed the original post to set suid to libaoss.so.*. The commands are
    Code:
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx.real
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/libaoss.so.*
    Also, please do calm down. Your XP on vmware would be fine as long as you don't touch the .vmdk files. DON'T touch those files.

Quote Originally Posted by eliesen View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been a noob with Ubuntu for almost two years now, on and off, on and off.. mostly I've solved my issues by googleing the problem, find a site with a solution (usually this forum) and just done exactly what it says (i consider myself a master of "cut and paste"

But this time that did'nt work. I too got the "device busy" message when trying to load a soundriver when running WinXP through vmware on a Ubuntu (edgy) system. First I tried what XP_newbie suggested in the origninal post, and when that didnt work, i tried jasonxh's solution. Now, on the other hand, I can't get my winXP in vmware to boot! When I start it, I get this message:

Can anyone help me with this? I had everything set up on that winXP other than the sound, I'd really hate to lose it.. I can post any systeminfo you need if you first tell me how to find it

Great community btw, thanks for all the help I've gotten in the past and present
    Last edited by jasonxh; March 27th, 2007 at 03:38 AM.
    "Software systems are like cathedrals. First we build them and then we pray ..."
    http://jasonxh.blogspot.com/

Beans

I have a strange iisue - if I use the new file (vmware) then I get error mmessage on my main Vmware virtual ddisk Cannot open "" or one the snapshots it depends on. Reason: File to large.

If I just run vmware.orig everything works fine... Any ideas?

If I remove LD_PRELOAD=libaoss.so from vmware then everything works fine again...

Now If I remove problematic virtual disk I get "Cannot connect virtual device sound" message from VMWare anyway...
    Last edited by Strelock; April 9th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Beans

Okay, I did everything xp_noobie explained that didnt work the way it should... output on the console is when I try to run the /usr/bin/vmware is:

Code:
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    kde-config: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3)
    kde-config: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3)
    VM starts up tho. so I thought "cool, lets not bother with that, lets just start windows" (I need that to dj using Sam2)

Anyhow... what I get when I try to start windows is:

Code:
    Cannot connect virtual device sound. No corresponding device is available on the host. Wouls ou like an attemt to be made to connect thic virtual device every time you power on the virtual machine?
    Sound in linux works perfectly.. I dont have any other programs running that could occupy it. I am out with my knowledge, no idea what it could be.

I would really appreciate it if you had any hints for me into what direction to look.

I am running Drapper with
    Code:
    Linux hellonearth 2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMPT Thu Aug 3 02:52:00 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
    and
    Code:
    VM Workstation
    5.5.3 build-34685
    Greetings Waya

P.S. I am not sure what informations you might need, I will of course provide it if its nessesary.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the post, and thanks for the note about modifying the vmware-vmx script in the case of vmware server (free!). Works like a charm for me.
    This community is the best. Now I have my voip solution and my WoW both working together. No more vmware/oss taking over the sound system. Very happy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks jasonxh! Worked perfectly for me!

Beans

you need to make the new file executable. Run:

sudo chmod a+x /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx

Beans

you need to make the new file executable. Run:

sudo chmod a+x /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've executed the commands in the first post of this thread and I'm no longer getting the error about /dev/dsp being busy but I still can not get Vmware Workstation 6 to attach the sound card to the vm guest. My VM guest is WinXP and I'm running an up to date Ubuntu 7.04.

I'm now getting the following error:

Cannot connect virtual device sound. No corresponding device is available on the host.

Just after receiving the error I've been able to generate sound from ubuntu so I know the card is alive and active. I saw a similar error to mine a couple of posts above mine but there is no solution posted in reply yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

My machines is good to go. I've reinstalled workstation 6 right over the previous install and I'm working now. I've tried so many things now that it's hard to pinpoint what fixed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The first way is to load the special ALSA drivers that emulate the OSS kernel interface; these allow the application to open /dev/dsp0 and other OSS device files.
    I don't have any new /dev/dsp* devices, any idea how to create those? maybe I'm missing a package or two?

my environment:

Code:
    arymcdo@gloryrider:/opt> sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
    Password:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    alsa-oss is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

arymcdo@gloryrider:/opt> cat /usr/bin/vmware
    #!/bin/bash
    LD_PRELOAD=libaoss.so exec /usr/bin/vmware.orig "$@"

arymcdo@gloryrider:/opt> ll /usr/lib/libaoss.so*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 2007-05-28 10:07 /usr/lib/libaoss.so -> libaoss.so.0.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    16 2007-05-28 10:07 /usr/lib/libaoss.so.0 -> libaoss.so.0.0.0
    -rwSr-Sr-- 1 root root 19200 2006-11-22 17:58 /usr/lib/libaoss.so.0.0.0

arymcdo@gloryrider:/opt> ll /usr/bin/vmware /usr/bin/vmware.orig
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   65 2007-05-28 09:49 /usr/bin/vmware
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 4570 2007-05-27 08:25 /usr/bin/vmware.orig

arymcdo@gloryrider:/opt> ll /dev |grep audio
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,  12 2007-05-27 10:45 adsp
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,   4 2007-05-27 10:45 audio
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,   3 2007-05-27 10:45 dsp
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,   0 2007-05-27 10:45 mixer
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    10, 135 2007-05-27 03:45 rtc
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,   1 2007-05-27 10:45 sequencer
    crw-rw---- 1 root audio    14,   8 2007-05-27 10:45 sequencer2
    Using /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp gives me the device busy error, while
    using /dev/dsp0 gives me the file not found, no device error..

any suggestions are appreciated. thanks!
    hail the goer

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast