Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set-up a gameport gamepad or joystick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: HOWTO: Set-up a gameport gamepad or joystick

Hi everybody,
    I'm gravely sorry I couldn't reply to this topic or update it, I though it was going to be buried with the lot(ok, it's already buried, but somebody posts to it every few days), I am going to re-update the first post ASAP.

@Athanasius: Most Linux games and emulators play well with joysticks and gamepads. You can try out Planet Penguin Racer, or Snes9X/ZSnes (both available in the repositories)

@FidoNatty: Did you try doing
    Code:
    sudo modprobe gameport
    If it's a generic on-board gameport, this module should be already loaded.

@Kegir: There are lots of XBox 360 controller howto's here, and there are some for other distros that might work. If nothing works, make your own help topic on ubuntuforums asking for help. Maybe you may eventually make it work.

@tqft: Thanks a lot, Glad it helped

@dawynn: Did you try any games or emulators with your gamepad? jscalibrator is a bit of a wierd program and reports with odd results sometimes.

@andersja: Most, if not all USB joysticks and gamepads work out-of-the-box on Linux. I'd take a guess saying yours will work.

@rasemmi: Thanks for the tips, I will add some of them to the main post

@spookypeanut: No, you will have to do this everytime you re-boot. But I'm adding some bits of rasemmi's advice to the main post, so that what you do is permanent.

@Andy Troutman: Maybe you configured the permissions of dev file for the pad from a root user? That's a really odd message. Try using a game or emulator, and see if it works.

BTW, I want to add this HOWTO to the Ubuntu wiki/help pages. Anyone would know how to do that?

Extreme Coder

Beans

I have an Asus onboard joystick controller, and some old crappy UltraRacer joystick/wheel.
    The provided guide did very little in getting my computer to function, but the original documentation from http://www.charmed.com/txt/joystick.txt was what got me working. And even calibrated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dawynn View Post
    How do we tell the module to look for a gamepad instead of a joystick? According to the joystick.txt that I found on the web, we should have been able to do something like this:

sudo modprobe analog js=gamepad

But that returns an error message saying "Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter"

Any help is appreciated. If it matters, I'm a feisty fawn user.
    Is this normal I got the same when I try to type a command line for the "analog" module, my joystick was detected wrong and it is not working fine because of that however there is an option:

Type | Meaning
    -----------------------------------
    none | No analog joystick on that port
    auto | Autodetect joystick
    2btn | 2-button n-axis joystick
    y-joy | Two 2-button 2-axis joysticks on an Y-cable
    y-pad | Two 2-button 2-axis gamepads on an Y-cable
    fcs | Thrustmaster FCS compatible joystick
    chf | Joystick with a CH Flightstick compatible hat
    fullchf | CH Flightstick compatible with two hats and 6 buttons
    gamepad | 4/6-button n-axis gamepad
    gamepad8 | 8-button 2-axis gamepad <-------- I got this one

Where add this js=gamepad8 option to make this work and not get:

FATAL: Error inserting analog (/lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/input/joystick/analog.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

error, anybody?
    Last edited by 1337; May 22nd, 2007 at 02:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

*Bump*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ethana2@gmail.com ('cause I check it every 6 hours)

I want to map my screen to the position of my right analog thumb stick on a Logitech Dual Action USB gamepad so I can use it as a mouse. I followed the instructions on the page, but I obviously need to do more than that. Module adi used.

Then I want to map it to the mouse the other way and do key bindings on it for playing tremulous. Can I make different binding/config profiles to switch between? Ah yes- I had one set to WASD for online games. If I use the colemak keyboard layout, would...

Maybe I'll just post a thread. Yeah.

Beans

I have exactly the same problem. jscalibrator works fine for my logitech dual action pad, it finds all buttons including the D-pad. but when i tried it in xmame and zsnes, the D-pad and two analogue input stick just won't work, while other buttons work fine.

any idea?

-E

Quote Originally Posted by SBFC View Post
    Thanks for the howto. I managed to get my off-brand POS gamepad working. Can calibrate it fine with jscalibrator (except it shows up as a 4 button when it's actually an 8 button).

Only prob I'm having now is getting it to work properly with GFCEU. When I try and assign buttons for the gamepad the four buttons work. But it detects nothing when using the D-pad...even though jscalibrator detects D-pad movement.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Beans

DONT use jscalibrator !!!

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=338457

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Red face Re: HOWTO: Set-up a gameport gamepad or joystick

Quote Originally Posted by adam0509 View Post
    DONT use jscalibrator !!!
    Seriously, all these instructions and packages (joystick, jscalibrator) actually made my USB gamepad *not* work! I was doing everything from all these different threads -- terminal commands, modifying .conf files, messing with modprobes -- and it turns out that I never had to do any of it in the first place!

I restarted my computer then ran TuxRacer -- It worked fine on my digital USB gamepad.

I then opened JSCalibrator, calibrated my gamepad, and reopened TuxRacer. The gamepad didn't work! So, I uninstalled jscalibrator and joystick, undid all the changes I made and everything is working fine.

Maybe it should be noted in one of these many gamepad-Ubuntu threads that USB gamepads [at least for me] should work without any need of these packages and modifications.

Overall a great learning experience though.
    Shpongled303
    Last edited by Shpongled303; July 13th, 2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I used the word 'then' like 10 times and it bothered me...

Beans

Hi Shpongled303,

thanks for your hint. It's a pity you got stuck here but I think the magic word in the topic is "GAMEPORT" and NOT "USB PORT".

Happy gaming and regards raLLi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi I'm having a problem setting up 2 USB gamepads on my mythbox running Feisty. I can plug them in, and jstest on /dev/input/js1 and js2 seem to show the proper events. However, when I load frozen-bubble (which I'm using to test) it doesn't recognize the joysticks.

Now here's the kicker. I can plug them in on my laptop (also running Feisty) and everything works. Any ideas?
    Last edited by bignickel; July 21st, 2007 at 12:54 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast