Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set-up a gameport gamepad or joystick

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set-up a gameport gamepad or joystick

did anyone actually get their xbox 360 controller to work? I followed a couple tutorials but all I get is the light to blink.
    Last edited by Kegir; March 28th, 2007 at 05:23 AM.

Beans

Thank-you ever so much I have hunted high and low through just about every menu, setting and program and local help files - but no mention of joystick.

Maybe we should make sure someone higher up the food chain sees this before the next Long Term Stable release is putout - at least some doco on how to get a joystick working on the install disc.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I own a Champ model JS-308 gamepad. This thing has to be about as generic as they come. I did the modprobe joydev analog thing. (snd_cs46xx was already installed) When I start jscalibrator, it recognizes that there is some kind of joystick, and it recognizes all 4 buttons on the thing, but the directional pad does nothing.

Jscalibrator claims that I'm using a 4-axis 4-button joystick. No, its a gamepad. And for whatever reason, jscalibrator and every other test tool I try will not recognize the directional pad at all.

How do we tell the module to look for a gamepad instead of a joystick? According to the joystick.txt that I found on the web, we should have been able to do something like this:

sudo modprobe analog js=gamepad

But that returns an error message saying "Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter"

Any help is appreciated. If it matters, I'm a feisty fawn user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Does anyone know / has anyone tested whether Ubuntu Feisty Fawn supports Gameport to USB converter things by default? A friend has given me his Microsoft joystick + 2 game pads (since he's a Vista-man and they're no longer supported in Vista) and I'm considering buying one of these:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...256&doy=search
    (or equivalent)

Beans

Hiho,

I'm totally addicted to joysticks, I build my own ones, and so tried to make them run under ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake. This topic helped me a lot as a starting point - yet I'd like to add a few pieces of personal experience after I solved tihis delicate issue just to use xmame with JOYSTICKS .

1) Missing device files /dev/input/js0 and /dev/js0

Any attempt to use the joysticks failed simply because there were no device files

/dev/input/js0 or /dev/js0

on my system. Even the command "sudo mknod /dev/input/js0 c 13 0" according to http://www.charmed.com/txt/joystick.txt did not work.

But after I tried a different sound card (with gameport), the command "sudo modprobe analog" automatically generated the files

/dev/input/js0
    and
    /dev/input/event3

So it seems that if the command "sudo modprobe analog" does not generate the needed device files automatically, the hardware is either not supported or faulty.

2) Testing with "jstest" from the "joystick" package

Just to increase the trouble, the program
    "jstest" from the ubuntu-package 6.06 Dapper Drake

"joystick_20051019-1ubuntu1_i386.deb"

is faulty and quits with a "segmentation fault".

The following package from 6.10, Edgy Eft works fine, even under 6.06 Dapper Drake:

joystick_20051019-1ubuntu2_i386.deb

3) Necessary calibration

My finally enabled joystick really works fine in xmame since I calibrated it with
    "jscal" from the "joystick" package.
    Before I could hardly use it. It seems necessary to calibrate the Joystick using especially this tool.

4) NOT solved

I did not and probably will never solve how to setup the gameport of my ancient sound card

CREATIVE LABS, CT4810
    (Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI CT4810)

Instead my "Terratec 128iPCI" sound card runs very well as gameport-joystick-interface and more under ubuntu-6.06-Edgy Eft.

Regards raLLi

Beans

Hiho,

after enabling "native ALSA gameport support" I finally even managed to use my joystick on my sound card:

CREATIVE LABS, CT4810
    (Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI CT4810)

Look here to see how:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=13

Regards raLLi
    Last edited by rasemmi; April 27th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

A wonderful how-to, worked like a charm for me. X-wing here I come!

Will it remember the modules when I re-boot, or will I have to do that every time?

Beans

Thanks for the howto. I managed to get my off-brand POS gamepad working. Can calibrate it fine with jscalibrator (except it shows up as a 4 button when it's actually an 8 button).

Only prob I'm having now is getting it to work properly with GFCEU. When I try and assign buttons for the gamepad the four buttons work. But it detects nothing when using the D-pad...even though jscalibrator detects D-pad movement.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Beans

Hiho,

spookypeanut: "Extreme Coder" describes is a very good way of proving the correct driver-modules while Linux is running but it has to repeated after every re-boot.

After proving the correct driver-modules I added them to the file
    /etc/modules
    to be loaded automatically while booting.

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=13

Regards raLLi
    Last edited by rasemmi; April 29th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

Beans

I've got my gamepad working under one user with jscalibrator, but when I switch users, jscalibrator doesn't find the control pad get a "could not access specified paths" error. I assume it's some sort of permissions problem, but don't know how to fix it. Anyone got a clue?

I'm using a Logitech Precision USB gamepad.

Thanks,
    Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast