Thread: GAS - Running the assembler

Beans

GAS - Running the assembler

Where can I find a quality manual for as (assembler)? The links I have to GAS via gcc.org are all broken. I don't see the reference in their list of manuals. The tutorials and guides available per Google aren't detailed enough for what I'm looking for.

In addition, I have a basic understanding of the gcc wrapper, but I'm hung up on the ld command. In the same way that the following will produce an executable:
    Code:

gcc -o<name> source.c
    is there a similar way in the ld command? My limited testing of:
    Code:
    ld -static /path/crt1.0.... asmSource.s -ofileName
    does produce a file, but it isn't executable.
    Last edited by phossal; April 12th, 2007 at 05:44 AM.

Beans

Re: GAS - Running the assembler

Quote Originally Posted by phossal View Post
    Where I can find a quality manual for as (assembler)? The links I have to GAS via gcc.org are all broken. I don't see the reference in their list of manuals. The tutorials and guides available per Google aren't detailed enough for what I'm looking for.

In addition, I have a basic understanding of the gcc wrapper, but I'm hung up on the ld command. In the same way that the following will produce an executable:
    Code:

gcc -o<name> source.c
    is there a similar way in the ld command? My limited testing of:
    Code:
    ld -static /path/crt1.0.... asmSource.s -ofileName
    does produce a file, but it isn't executable.
    This site has a pretty good manual on the GAS assembler: http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils...l_mono/as.html

I don't understand what you're asking about the commands... It's fairly easy to compile with GAS using these commands...

Code:
    as MY_PROGRAM.s -o MY_OBJECT.o
    ld MY_OBJECT.o
    MY_PROGRAM.s is your assembly source. "as" assembles it into an object file, and "ld" links the object into an executable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    MY_PROGRAM.s is your assembly source. "as" assembles it into an object file, and "ld" links the object into an executable.
    Thanks for the 'pointer' to the manual.

The ld command links the object into an executable. Along with the object.o file, there are usually paths to other resources that you pass: the things you're trying to link.

It's not uncommon to pass paths to /usr/lib/crt1.o, /usr/lib/crti.o, etc. In fact, try to follow your own commands to compile a "Hello, World" object file, beginning with a listing file (gcc -S hello.c). It doesn't work.

Beans

Use
    gcc -v hello.c -o hello
    To see what gcc is doing with as and ld.

Beans

That's a good idea. Thank you. It just might not work for the things that do not have a corresponding source file. But I can probably figure enough out that way. Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wybiral View Post
    Code:
    as MY_PROGRAM.s -o MY_OBJECT.o
    ld MY_OBJECT.o
    You're one of a dozen people I routinely see in posts, and one of a half dozen who's advice I value. When I run the commands shown above, I get:

Code:
    bash 3.1:as S.s -o S.o
    bash 3.1:ld S.o
    ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 0000000008048094
    S.o: In function `main':
    S.c:(.text+0x19): undefined reference to `puts'
    bash 3.1:
    Out of curiosity, does that series work on your machine?

Beans

Oh, thats because the assembly code uses "main" instead of "_start"

When you use gcc, it uses "main" (like C)

When you use as, it uses "_start" (like a lot of assemblers)

If you are compiling an assembly output of a C compile, then you need to use gcc because it will name the start location "main"

It really just depends what you need, if you're using external libs from C, then you need to use "main" and gcc. If it's all pure assembly, then you can use "_start" and "as"

Sorry, I forgot to mention that!

Beans

It appears that after running AS like so:
    Code:
    as -V -Qy -o S.o S.s
    gcc is running this as the ld command:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/collect2 --eh-frame-hdr -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -oS /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtbegin.o -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2 -L/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib S.o -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lc -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/crtend.o /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/crtn.o
    Last edited by phossal; January 14th, 2007 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

I have to be honest, gas is fun... But I only use it when I need to compile something I disassembled or dumped from a C compile (which you can do BTW with the "-S" flag when you are compiling a C program... The assembly code that's dumped compiles as-is in the gcc compiler)

But when I want to do actual assembly programming I use nasm because it's more portable and the code looks much cleaner. You can also optimize nasm assembly code much easier (for size, not speed).

Beans

I have a few ways to work with the gcc tools now. Per usual, thanks.